Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help

I have a lathe and mill. But if I can gain a new friend ship from spending a couple of dollars I don't mind.

I'll send you a pm.

Anyone else interested.

If you have a lathe and mill.. and know how to use them, why are you asking us for help? It just sounds odd. The challenge presented, at least how I interpret it, isn't that complicated. Someone with machine skills, and only rudimentary electronics knowledge should be able to figure it out easily.

Well I don't have any knowledge on laser.

I still need to know if the crosshairs will work if I'm trying to project it through a bolt.

Just because you know how to do something does not mean you know the best way to do it.
I know you are just looking for a way to be a smart ass so I'm just gonna look over it.

The fact is I could just go in my shop and make what I think is the best way but since people on this forum do this on a regular basis they might know a better way.

Last time I checked that is what a forum was for.....

anselm

The other modules we linked you make a dot, not a cross.
Just search a bit for yourself on that site, then order half a dozen different modules,
wait for 3~4 weeks and then just go crazy.

All these modules need to shine is those 4~5 volts on those wires.

.. since people on this forum do this on a regular basis ...
Your question is not really about lasers, since that module is already a complete "package".
Your asking a fabrication question, isn't there a "monster-garage" forum for that kind of stuff?
"Bolts" are not a very popular choice of host around here.

Last edited:
The other modules we linked you make a dot, not a cross.
Just search a bit for yourself on that site, then order half a dozen different modules,
wait for 3~4 weeks and then just go crazy.

All these modules need to shine is those 4~5 volts on those wires.

Your question is not really about lasers, since that module is already a complete "package".
Your asking a fabrication question, isn't there a "monster-garage" forum for that kind of stuff?
"Bolts" are not a very popular choice of host around here.

My question was about lasers.
I asked if anyone knew of a laser that would thread into a 2/8 to 3/8 hole.......

But anyways never mind. I'll delete my account on here and just find a different site.

anselm

And didn't we point you to some nice and cheap laser modules of appropriate size that would be just right for your project?:thinking:

My question was about lasers.
I asked if anyone knew of a laser that would thread into a 2/8 to 3/8 hole.......

But anyways never mind. I'll delete my account on here and just find a different site.

You probably will need to ask someone to do it for you. Will not be hard to do, but if you don't care you should really delete your account..

And didn't we point you to some nice and cheap laser modules of appropriate size that would be just right for your project?:thinking:

Yes,
One of them having crosshairs. Then I asked if I projected it through a bolt would it still work.

Then to take it a step further I asked if they make a kit to put the laser in.

But for all the smart off comments I have had to spend time defending my self. So thanks. Have a great night. I'm gonna delete this account.

you will NOT achieve anything my asking something to DealExtreme, or similars.

anselm

OK luttrellracing, send me that bolt of yours and I'll laser it up for you. Seriously.
If you really cannot manage to do it yourself. And I'll only charge you 50$!

You are all being just a tad harsh, and you know I'm not one to say that too often.

What you will need to do is find a module, a few have been linked to here already, and fit that in the bottom of the bolt. That module will have two wires, look up the specs on the module you bought and wire it up. Most modules of this type will usually need 3V, so 2 AA or AAA's will do fine. Radioshack has some nice battery holders that would work fine.

So, you fit the laser module in the bottom of the bolt, run the wires up through the bolt and hook them to power. Then you'll have a spot. There are some lenses that will project a crosshair, I suggest you check Aixiz for one of those. I believe they sell entire crosshair laser modules.

Sometimes the laser dot does not leave the module entirely concentric which wouldn't do much for alignment. A quality module (aixiz) shouldn't have this problem.

I hope you get your setup figured out...

I know I was harsh.. But I have a very low tolerance for people who don't even try to think for themselves, and this guy wasn't really even attempting to try.. He was just wanting someone to design what he needed for him then give him step by step instructions on how and what he needed. For a quickie one off, I think an aixiz module with a low power 650nm, a current limiting resistor, and some button cells, with an 1/8" bolt sticking out the back of the module with a locking nut on it, then the whole thing screwed into the 1/8" hole in his bolt would have been the most simple route.. but there's probably dozens of solutions... heck, even not knowing what an aixiz module was, I could have whipped up something workable on the lathe in about 20 minutes after being pointed to one of the red modules listed earlier in the thread..

I donno maybe it's too much these days to expect people who own machine tools to have basic problem solving skills and be able to use the tools they have to make what they need.

This dude actually seriously reminds me of my nephew, who's 'I don't know how to do something so I won't even try unless somebody holds my hand' attitude usually makes me want to strangle the little bugger.

Last edited:

rhd

You know, it's easy to forget -

This guy is probably just as active and excited about go-karts, as we are here about lasers. In fact, he's probably an avid contributor to the go-kart-community forums (I'm sure they exist... somewhere?)

Some idea popped into his head, it required knowledge from outside his normal field of interest, and he probably DIDN'T want to actually learn all about lasers for himself.

I don't think it's ALWAYS a bad thing when people want to be spoon-fed on forums. Who knows.... I'm sleepy. Just my sleepy two cents :)

Most of what he wanted to know didn't really require in depth knowledge of lasers though. The vast majority of what he was was trying to accomplish was machine work, with a little bit being wiring a ebay red module (you can buy them with crosshair lenses) to 3v.