Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with Green Laser Line creator

tsavoie

Hello, Noobie here

I coach high school bowling, and I am looking to use a hand held green laser pointer that I could either purchase or make using a modified laser pointer - It has to be able to make the narrow beam at least 60 feet, the width of the beam no more than 1/2" or smaller. If asking what for.... I use it to show lines on the lanes on how to play certain shots with the bowling ball.

The only difference between these kinds of lasers and the kind that give a dot profile is the lens. They use a line lens instead of the normal collimating one. The least expensive one would be the 532nm green laser pointers. I don't have a link currently, but you should be able to find one on eBay. Probably well under $20.00.

Hello, Noobie here

I coach high school bowling, and I am looking to use a hand held green laser pointer that I could either purchase or make using a modified laser pointer - It has to be able to make the narrow beam at least 60 feet, the width of the beam no more than 1/2" or smaller. If asking what for.... I use it to show lines on the lanes on how to play certain shots with the bowling ball.

This sounds familiar........football field line laser, baseball field floodlight installation laser, ect......

I have seen many bowling instruction videos and have spent some time at the lanes, but never have I seen a laser used to teach bowling and I would not shine any laser at a public bowling lane or in a high school.

If you plan to use any laser for teaching high school students you need to make certain it's under 5mw and safe, possibly certified, and that you have whatever permission you need of course and be aware than many Chinese laser products that claim to comply and/or be under 5mw are not and can pose an eye hazard, all things considered I would not use a laser in a high school for anything or shine a laser at a bowling lane where everything is so polished and reflective, that said we are only a hobby forum and can not be responsible for the safety of high school students when using any laser device.

Last edited:
Laser modules w/ high power can be gotten cheap--I remove the 'line lens' but you could just make a host w/ 3.7W battery and a swtich. My line lens works well with any laser..

brb with a link for you--

BTW we REALLY like being helpful... however if you will make an 'intro' thread in the newcomers section (as you ARE a newcomer==right?)
read those left by other new members to see what a good intro looks like.
MYB give us a first name for you--and place at least a general location in both your intro's title and also in your profile... help changes from country to country.

I would be surprised if no other members do not live close==hands-on help is the best AND by tradition those owning LPMs will meter lasers of others anytime and free.

There might even be a 'meet-up' you can attend--- called LEMs--SELEM just ended
in Aug--I made 5 of those-(in South Eastern) its by far the biggest and best--well worth the 17 hour drive IMHO--search SELEM Laser and see the many vids at YTube etc. check the links to the other laser forum where SELEM and all other LEMs are managed--IIRC SELEM
13th year from one night/day then to now >5 days-- still not enough time IMO--you will make life-long friendships.----hope to meet you someday--Len (in Houston)

see many choices from Robinson at Techhood.

you dont need >50 mW
he has handhelds --just add battery --lab styles - and ones for CAD-

These are only dangerous if pointed in someones eyes AND they do not close their eyes or look away-- cannot imagine that happening to you..

here:

best wishes --len

Last edited:

tsavoie

This sounds familiar........football field line laser, baseball field floodlight installation laser, ect......

I have seen many bowling instruction videos and have spent some time at the lanes, but never have I seen a laser used to teach bowling and I would not shine any laser at a public bowling lane or in a high school.

If you plan to use any laser for teaching high school students you need to make certain it's under 5mw and safe, possibly certified, and that you have whatever permission you need of course and be aware than many Chinese laser products that claim to comply and/or be under 5mw are not and can pose an eye hazard, all things considered I would not use a laser in a high school for anything or shine a laser at a bowling lane where everything is so polished and reflective, that said we are only a hobby forum and can not be responsible for the safety of high school students when using any laser device.

I understand and appreciate your concerns - I am a certified coach and I too have been to many coaching seminars, I am well aware of the proper usage of a low power laser. At no given time it is used in any unsafe manner. I currently use a pinpoint hand laser pen that works in showing specific portions on a lane during coaching sessions, the reflex factor is of no significance. Thanks for your concern though.

Mount this lens in front of any collimated laser pointer of any color, and it will make a nice line for you. Although I don't know if it will make the 1 inch thickness you want at 60 feet. I've compared the quality of the line output with this rod lens agaist many others sold on ebay, and of all of them tested, this rod lens produced the best most consistent line without distortions.

tsavoie

Mount this lens in front of any collimated laser pointer of any color, and it will make a nice line for you. Although I don't know if it will make the 1 inch thickness you want at 60 feet. I've compared the quality of the line output with this rod lens agaist many others sold on ebay, and of all of them tested, this rod lens produced the best most consistent line without distortions.

Thanks, This I think will work perfect, the one inch is only a guideline, 1/2 inch or even slightly smaller will work fine as well. Thanks so much for your response on this!!

I'm not gonna pretend to be a bowling pro... but I thought many of the best paths are curved? Even those that aren't intended to be, often are. Perhaps a line is not an ideal option. Why not "draw" the line yourself with a standard pointer? Keep it simple.

tsavoie

I'm not gonna pretend to be a bowling pro... but I thought many of the best paths are curved? Even those that aren't intended to be, often are. Perhaps a line is not an ideal option. Why not "draw" the line yourself with a standard pointer? Keep it simple.
You are correct in the fact that a bowling ball "may" have a curved entry angle into the 1-3 pocket (for a Rt handed bowler) and the 1-2 pocket for a Left handed bowler. However with that said the purpose of a line is that it shows the bowler from the front of the line where to place the ball and what angle to project the ball to. Example, I might shine the line on center board and project the line out to the rt side 5 board (first arrow) down range. Now the bowler can see that visually he or she will place the ball down on the front and project the ball through the line to the 5 board at the exit point down lane. The exit point is where the bowling ball begins its "curve" back to the 1-2 pocket. There are similar tools that are used for professional training that mimics this what I am trying to do with the hand held pointer line laser, one such being the Kegel Torch. However, the cost of the torch is prohibitive and is cumbersome to setup for my purposes. Your question of "draw" the line is a good one, this does work and is what I currently do, however, by providing a complete visual path for the bowler to see, you can clearly see (sorry pun intended) how much a larger advantage it would be in aiding a student bowler learn how to play lines - mainly because of the age factor and the learning curve of my students

...tools that are used for professional training that mimics this what I am trying to do ...

...one such being the Kegel Torch.

8y5ABu4.gif

Giannis_TDM

Sorry but I just want to understand do you want an actual beam or like a line spot? I assume you mean like the spot so yea take a 5mw 532 nm laser for best visibility and some line lens, that should do the trick. I don't recommend picking up a higher powered laser cause the surface of the bowling alley seems very reflective. Also try to find a reputable source for such laser (aka not eBay or amazon) because most of the seller in there sell over-spec lasers if you want to take a chance tho I recommend searching for a pen style laser which takes AAA batteries that should give ya a better chance of it being 5mw again tho it may be still over-spec. sadly I don't have any links for a true 5mw green laser sorry.

-John

Maybe get a low power output laser diode and instead of making a line, have a rotating mirror "paint" a line across the wall, I believe the line will be brighter at far lower power and if done properly, safer due to the lower power required for a given amount of perceived brilliance.

tsavoie

This thing?
Yes, that is the torch. The problem is the time to setup, the distraction for other bowlers when setting up, and cost. Very expensive for what it does, a handheld "cat chaser laser" that I can attach something on it to do basically same thing. Someone shared with me something about getting a 60 degree cut glass and putting it in a hand held low wattage laser pointer and it worked perfect. I just cant seem to find what that person was talking about. I saw it function and it did a perfect line. I tried the glass rod mentioned earlier in this thread from Alaskan, it works somewhat just has a real fuzzy look to it not clean like what I have seen from the other person's pointer.