Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with a laser

Laser_Spyro

Are you talking about the pins marked as "C" and "D"? That could be a switch, IDK.
That is correct, the “C” and “D” terminals.

As for all of your input on the delay, I turned the power on, and nothing. No flicker, nothing, nada. I might try shorting those terminals on the connector and see what it does. Unless, that is, someone knows how to operate this board and can tell me what to do.

I may try replacing the laser tube with another one if nothing else works(I found four additional ones), though a couple have tiny chips out of the main lense sides. Nothing catastrophic, but still deadly if the tubes were to be powered on since the laser beam could be diffracted into an unwanted direction, e.g. in an area that safety glasses do not cover - So I’m not going to use those ones. Just the ones with intact, clean lenses.

If after all of this pain and nothing happens still, I’ll just give in and buy a driver off of eBay.

I would not try shorting anything out on that board unless you are pretty certain it is meant for a switch. That could easily destroy the board. Chips on the sides of the OC mirror won't cause problems as the beam is quite small and come out of the center of the mirror.

I get the impression you are in the UK. If you are in the US you could send it to me and I can figure it out for you.

Laser_Spyro

I would not try shorting anything out on that board unless you are pretty certain it is meant for a switch. That could easily destroy the board. Chips on the sides of the OC mirror won't cause problems as the beam is quite small and come out of the center of the mirror.

I get the impression you are in the UK. If you are in the US you could send it to me and I can figure it out for you.
I’m in the USA, Alabama in fact. I will send it to you, DM me and we can exchange necessary details to do so. Thanks lad! :)

Snecho

Hi, yes I see that your new here at LPF. OK first things first I see you didn't introduce yourself the WELCOME section .
So basically it a go home and do it again. We like folks to intro themselves , like to know little about you like from were your from , your likes of laser related builds etc..
maybe folks will be more willing to help you out.
Rich:)
With Authority

These welcome threads are NOT mandatory.
If you feel pressured into making them you have the right not to.

Last edited:

Anthony P

If you do get it running and current is correct, let it run a few hours to heat up.

PS: If a HeNe won't start, always suspect the power supply first. I have a power supply brick made specifically for that tube if you need a tube checked.

Last edited:
Um - Just in case anyone hasn't warned you yet... HeNe tubes act as a capacitor, so they'll hold a charge even after they've been powered... Even if the "ignition" wasn't successful.

So after powering attempts, short both ends simultaneously to ground; you'll probably see a spark jump. You don't want that to happen through your hand. It won't kill you, but it'll ruin your day.

I can help you with troubleshooting, but only if you upload larger pictures. 640x480 is pitiful. Use another hosting service. Ask google how if you're not sure.

You can start by placing the tube next to a novelty plasma ball lamp to see if it is still gas-intact. You can check the voltage on the main cap while it's powered on to check for any rectifier and fuse functionality. Beyond that, I need more than 1992 era resolution, as well as a bottom-side shot.

If not, best of luck.

subhasis

Must be honest to say that , if one post can teach me so many things in details , what will 1000's of post on LPF teach me , really appreciate the knowledge shared by the forum members . sorry for being off the topic .
Regards

Laser_Spyro

I can help you with troubleshooting, but only if you upload larger pictures. 640x480 is pitiful. Use another hosting service. Ask google how if you're not sure.

You can start by placing the tube next to a novelty plasma ball lamp to see if it is still gas-intact. You can check the voltage on the main cap while it's powered on to check for any rectifier and fuse functionality. Beyond that, I need more than 1992 era resolution, as well as a bottom-side shot.

If not, best of luck.
Sorry for not getting back to you quickly, been busy.
I’ll try to get a better quality shot, but this website only allows a pitifully small size attachment to be added to a post. IPhone photos are high quality and consequently huge in file size (even when cropped!), which this website does not allow.

Anthony P

Post pictures on outside website and then post link here. Many people here use IMGUR.

Laser_Spyro

Post pictures on outside website and then post link here. Many people here use IMGUR.
(Link which I can’t quote due to it being a link and I can’t post links)
I’ll see what I can do, thanks. But just to let you know, I can’t post links yet since I don’t have enough posts, so it may be a while.

diachi

That is correct, the “C” and “D” terminals.

Nothing catastrophic, but still deadly if the tubes were to be powered on since the laser beam could be diffracted into an unwanted direction, e.g. in an area that safety glasses do not cover - So I’m not going to use those ones. Just the ones with intact, clean lenses.

The beam from a HeNe is very thin and centered on the mirrors. Also wouldn't worry too much about it at a power output of 1mW.

yeah the tube is likely fine unless it is leaky or broken. it's rare for most coaxial tubes to go bad just sitting though. I'd be inclined to check the psu and that you're powering it correctly. I'm with cyparagon. complete board views would be helpful. It's likely a simple little supply.