Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help to build a cutter table

Hello,

first of all, sorry if I'm not doing it right (like posting this same post in the Rules forum...), this is my second attempt to this community...

I've been reading various posts on this community for the past few days and now I know a lot more about laser (still a lot to take in) but I still have a few interrogations.

I'd like to build a laser cutter with those 2 minimum requirements:
- cut white cardstock
- use to create PCB (etch black paint...)

I already have some of the materials: 2 old scanner, stepper motors with controller, Arduino, old computer (power supply, cd-rom...). I'm planning to build a power controller using a LM317, but when I come to which diode to use ??? I'm stuck!!!

I know that CO2 laser would do the trick, but if possible, I'd like to start with something smaller... and less expansive.

Reading the posts gave me a few lead (M140 with G2 Lens...) but before to order something an being disappointed, I'm asking help from people who already went thru this kind of project.

Based on what I've read, the eye protection to use depend on the type of laser, so I'm waiting for your suggestions before to buy them. To limit the risk, I'm planning to have everything in a box with a web cam.

So please if you have any experience in this type of project, I'll be more then happy to receive your suggestions (model, type, link to previous post I may have miss...). I will also greatly appreciate any of your experience (good or bad).

Thanks

Hello,

over 70 views but no reply...

Am-I in the right forum?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

i built a cutter, but it's a little overkill for your needs.

xle.jpg

Last edited:
You are right, just a little overkill... but I'd love to have one like this!!!

Gadget

What is that plate that the table bed is made of??
(edit) And, what is that glass tube in the background? Is that a gas laser?

G

Last edited:
The plate is a waffle plate made so air can flow stright down through it so the smoke from the cutting is drawn away from the lenses.

Yes that is the Co2 tube up behind the work area, from the size of it I would guess it's 50 watts or more :whistle:

What is that plate that the table bed is made of??
(edit) And, what is that glass tube in the background? Is that a gas laser?

G

Last edited:
it's a 60W. ;)

The plate is a waffle plate made so air can flow stright down through it so the smoke from the cutting is drawn away from the lenses.

Yes that is the Co2 tube up behind the work area, from the size of it I would guess it's 50 watts or more :whistle:

xle.jpg

Man, what a cool laser cutter. What kind of projects are planning to do with such a beautiful
and techie tool ??? Now tell me you planning to make a 3D printer to go along with it. :>)
Love the video!!!!