Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help on taking picture with more visible beam.

Hi everyone I am look for some tips on taking picture for my laser. I saw some member here take a picture with very visible beam even if it is a low power one. For example:

I try to do the same thing but the beam is just barely visible. Just wonder what is the setting of the camera? Does it need to smoke the room to take these picture?

Rivem

Does it need to smoke the room to take these picture?

Yes. A longer exposure setting will definitely help, or the laser can be very high power, but it's usually smoke/haze that really makes it visible.

Edit: As DashApple said, particles in the air help, and they don't necessarily have to be smoke. You could shake something dusty over the beam as well. Just won't look as good.

Last edited:
Yes. A longer exposure setting will definitely help, or the laser can be very high power, but it's usually smoke/haze that really makes it visible.

Edit: As DashApple said, particles in the air help, and they don't necessarily have to be smoke. You could shake something dusty over the beam as well. Just won't look as good.

I try to avoid the smoke / dust because I doubt it will pollute my lens.

I have exact the same problem. I try to show my friend my laser but the beam is just doesn't look right at the photo :banghead:

You want just a little smoke or fog in the room, but stir it up good, don't make it look like a cloud, if you do it right it won't seem like any is there at all and your beams glow like electric lightning.

Also beams look brighter coming than going and practically disappear from the side.

SAFETY GLASSES, WEAR THEM ;)

Last edited:
You want just a little smoke or fog in the room, but stir it up good, don't make it look like a cloud, if you do it right it won't seem like any is there at all and your beams glow like electric lightning.

That's is very useful tip :beer:

Very lovely pic. Do you smoke the room?

Nope , No smoke in the room , I did a very short burst of deodorant ( not the best idea for lasers ) and then used a 10 second exposure ,

90% of that picture is due to the long exposure .

Reactions: GSS
Personally I don't like to use smoke or other stuff. Long exposure is the key.

In the picture is 5mW 589nm which has barely visible beam.

4wn18us.jpg

GSS

Hi everyone I am look for some tips on taking picture for my laser. I saw some member here take a picture with very visible beam even if it is a low power one. For example:

I try to do the same thing but the beam is just barely visible. Just wonder what is the setting of the camera? Does it need to smoke the room to take these picture?
I happen to live in a very dusty area and am a smoker so I can see the beams pretty good even in low light.
The down side though is
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
All the above:(

I happen to live in a very dusty area and am a smoker so I can see the beams pretty good even in low light.
The down side though is
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
All the above:(

Lol, me too DSS, have no problems gettin beam shots

I've never used smoke for any of my shots.
The key for me is long exposure.
Both laser and camera on tripods and I set the camera to 30 sec on a high-ish ISO setting, for example ISO 3200.

These two shots are outside with the 80mW 589nm.

Pro_A2A0968.jpg

Pro_A2A0967.jpg

Longer exposure works well for lower power lasers, but high power ones need the exposure cut down, otherwise you get too much of the laser light in everything.

Yes, very true, I should have mentioned that.
The higher the power, the less exposure needed, just experiment.

Here's another 30 sec one I did with three beams, each one moving in succession, turning on one at a time during the exposure.
The only reason I used 30 sec is to get this effect.
If I was to do a single beam shot, I'd only need a second or two for the higher power ones.

water-art-lrg.jpg

Nope , No smoke in the room , I did a very short burst of deodorant ( not the best idea for lasers ) and then used a 10 second exposure ,

90% of that picture is due to the long exposure .

That's cool. the problem is I don't know if my DC can adjust the exposure. Althought It is not a very cheap model. but not a very professional neither.....:yabbem: