Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help identifying laser module

Does anyone have a good picture of a fiber laser? Do they have external optics? like a large ND YAG?? or not. I don't know much about diode pumped fiber laser. can't get a real good picture from Google. thank you Tom

I did manage to strip off that cladding and cleaved the end, under my loop it's not square but does pass energy, I also notices a fault in the fiber so I will have to cut it back some, this is just at 3a to see it work without any lens.

I cut back past the fault and stripped and cleaved, no polish, the end is not perfect but does pass energy, this is a slow turn up to 5 amps with no lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Nice little burner. It should be really something once you get it terminated and collimated.

This is what the fiber end looks like right now, I know it's not proper but after terminating and polishing to a clear end and fitting to my module with threaded lens I will be able to focus to distance, I wonder how aggressive the divergence will be and what the far field print/spot will look like, time will tell.

60060d1525641429-need-help-identifying-laser-module-roughstripcleave1.jpg

60061d1525641429-need-help-identifying-laser-module-roughstripcleave2.jpg

This below is from when I cleaved and polished but left the cladding on.

60019d1525479275-pld-40-fiber-coupled-laser-diode-cnc-cutting-engraving-polish2.jpg

Attachments

• roughstripcleave1.JPG
    roughstripcleave1.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 51
  • roughstripcleave2.JPG
    roughstripcleave2.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm glad you are doing this. It isn't a project I want to do now, but knowing how to do it properly will be a great help if and when I decide to do something like this. :thanks:

I had been leery of working with invisible light that passes easily through our cornea and lens, I am wearing a new pair of safety glasses that have side and bridge of nose blocking plastic insert, they do well at blocking any gaps looking forward, but I would really like to get some face seal goggles just to be extra sure, until I do I pay attention and avoid turning my head sideways where any peripheral gaps could be created.

My camera still has it's IR blocking filter, otherwise the light from this fibers tip and the spot would overdrive the CCD

https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Ea...5_Laser_Safety_Goggles/p1667092_11309188.aspx

Attachments

• SANY2518.JPG
    SANY2518.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 8
  • SANY2520.JPG
    SANY2520.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 9
  • SANY2523.JPG
    SANY2523.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
As long as you are burning wood, I wouldn't get overly concerned about reflections unless there is a reflective material at the site you are burning. Of course you want the goggles, but if nothing is reflective, i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Fiber can be easy to break, and when you do put the broken end into a container, I drink a lot of gatorade so I usually have an empty bottle.

Here's a slow turn up to 8 amps with no lens, there's some power here, it punches through the clothespin and leaves it ablaze, nice. :D There are bigger modules that run at a higher voltage, no doubt more emitters inside, also these are fiber coupled in industry, many of these modules on a fiber that is.

Last edited:
If your end project is to burn images into wood, once you terminate and collimate the beam you should be well on your way. Pretty nice for an unfocued output from an unterminated fiber.

Yes, it seems to have better divergence out of the fiber than the nubm diodes have out of the emitter, for CNC a short FL small dia. lens, I am going to see where I want to position the terminated end for use with the lens in THIS module, although I may cahange it I am hopefully optimistic.

I am going to try to use about 80% of the lens dia. in that module so I have some reach and the power is spread across the lens. We shall see how it's spot looks at 5, 10, 15 feet as it is comprised of multiple emitters, if it was used to pump active fiber that would be awesome, but as it is what it is, I will have to try it and see.

Last edited:
I had laser surgery today, guys - at home. I have a small wart on my finger so decided to burn it with my fiber coupled laser. I thought about covering the area around the wart with something so that it only burns the wart and not my flesh, but was too lazy to do it.

Anyway, I put the connector on a polishing puck then pressed the wart against the ferrule. I set the current to 2amp... my power supply has a feature to turn on/off the output so I used my other hand to control the pulse. I turn it off as soon as I feel pain and each pulse lasted about 1 second or more. Smoke came out each time I do it and I did it about 5 or 6 times :) It does not look bad, but don't look if you have puny stomach. You could see my finger print and burned skin imprinted on the puck.

Attachments

• lasered finger.JPG
    lasered finger.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 16
  • puck.JPG
    puck.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Well, hopefully you went deep enough. Warts have a long tail that goes deep past the cutaneous tissue. If you didn't get that, it will come back on you. I would use triple antibiotic ointment on it until it heals. And keep a bandage over it.

Thanks. Some spots are pretty deep, but it's hard to burn it off evenly... it was basically just a test to see what it looks and feel like being burned by laser - my finger still hurt. If it grows bigger I just use those acid based warts removal as it's less painful.

On another note, I had to re-terminate the connector again as I accidentally broke the fiber from the tip of the ferrule when the epoxy hasn't cured and it was hard to tell if it broke below or above the hole. So basically wasted $10, but the nice thing about Thorlabs is when you buy from them they also give you things to snack on. It was very thoughtful of them. I now have two boxes of uneaten snacks :)

Attachments

• Thorlabs.JPG
    Thorlabs.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Thorlabs snacks.JPG
    Thorlabs snacks.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 12
You used the epoxy to set your glass in the ceramic ferrule ? I was thinking I would need to do that, I will see about ordering some universal epoxy.

----EDIT----

I order this: It looks like you can let it cure overnight then polish your tip in the puck or cure fast at 90c, I will just let it cure overnight, what I am curious about is if there is any misalignment....I could make a run out adjustment at my mount the fiber seems like a good fit in my connector/termination, but I suppose we have to use this ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161150568894

I did get my manmade ruby fiber scoring tool, it's pretty when turning it in the light, sharp enough to slice off a wart I would bet too. :D

I am still waiting for my lensed module, have you used that lensed attachment you linked to yet ?

60165d1526518899-post-your-random-pics-sany2562.jpg

60166d1526518899-post-your-random-pics-sany2557.jpg

----EDIT----

I order this: It looks like you can let it cure overnight then polish your tip in the puck or cure fast at 90c, I will just let it cure overnight, what I am curious about is if there is any misalignment....I could make a run out adjustment at my mount the fiber seems like a good fit in my connector/termination, but I suppose we have to use this ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161150568894

Last edited: