Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help identifying laser module

Sure does looks pretty and sharp.

Yeah, you are supposed to use a syringe and fill the ferrule hole with epoxy until it comes out the other end and then insert the fiber. I didn't have a syringe so I simply dipped the fiber in epoxy and then inserted it into the ferrule. You should also make sure that there is a drop of epoxy about the size of the fiber on the tip of the ferrule. I used a 100um or so piano wire I recently bought to apply a tiny bit of epoxy to the ferrule's end. The idea is that once the epoxy cured, you cleave it just above the tip of the ferrule and then polish using 5um or so polishing film until the epoxy almost disappear from the ferrule and then finish it off with finishing polishing film until it's gone completely.

Are you talking about this collimator? https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cfm?partnumber=F240FC-980
If so, yes I used it already but with questionable terminated connector as mentioned above. It works well, but beam diameter is kind of big at almost 2mm. Still waiting for epoxy on the new connector to cure before I can try polishing it. Not sure if I would be able to tell if works any better with a properly terminated and polished fiber or not without using a laser meter.

Thanks. Some spots are pretty deep, but it's hard to burn it off evenly... it was basically just a test to see what it looks and feel like being burned by laser - my finger still hurt. If it grows bigger I just use those acid based warts removal as it's less painful.

On another note, I had to re-terminate the connector again as I accidentally broke the fiber from the tip of the ferrule when the epoxy hasn't cured and it was hard to tell if it broke below or above the hole. So basically wasted $10, but the nice thing about Thorlabs is when you buy from them they also give you things to snack on. It was very thoughtful of them. I now have two boxes of uneaten snacks :)

If it comes back, the best way to get rid of it is liquid N2. You put it on a cotton swab and hold it against the wart. You continue to do this about half a dozen times and that will usually get it all.

Is one of those treats for dogs? It looked like it. :crackup:

I think my wart is gone. At least the laser is good for something other than setting things on fire which I admit can be fun.

On another note, I had to buy another collimator from Thorlabs. This time it came in much bigger box as you can see why below - bigger snacks box :).

attachment.php

The reason for buying another collimator is because I melted the other one. My coworker wanted to see the laser in action so I brought it to work. He didn't want to wear goggle so suggested to point the collimator/heatsink directly over a wood piece. I hesitated, but went along with it anyway. I controlled the current and he pointed the collimator straight down... in short, the smoke prevented the laser from passing through causing it to heat up and melt. We thought the laser died so tried it without the collimator and it still could burn, but after a couple of tries the ferrule started to glow orange. So we killed both the collimator and terminating.

attachment.php

Epoxied, but uncleaved fiber.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Crimped FC connector.

attachment.php

I crimped the big part of the ring using .178" hex die and small part of the ring using .151" hex die. Normally you would crimp the big ring with kevlar threads to serve as strain relief for the fiber, but since IPG stripped most of the cable off already, I crimped the small part of the ring to the spiral wrap instead. Also used aluminum tape to prevent it from coming loose.

attachment.php

Instructions on terminating FC/SMA connector can be found here. ingellen

Fully terminated and polished fiber with 12mm collimator. Polishing really makes a huge difference in output power and the collimator no longer get hot or warm now.

attachment.php

Lastly... sorry this does not has anything to do with laser. I took this hiking this past memorial day. I have never seen blue bird eggs before.

attachment.php

Attachments

• thorlabs snacks .JPG
    thorlabs snacks .JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 33
  • melted collimator.JPG
    melted collimator.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 31
  • uncleaved fiber.JPG
    uncleaved fiber.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 32
  • uncleaved fiber2.JPG