Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help: How do I power this laser?

MojoLA

Oh for frak's sake Daguin, why must people see conspiracy everywhere?

I just haven't gotten to expanding my lumia wheel post yet. Yes I knew how to take 2 wires from a standard power cord and twist them to the 2 leads of the motor. Big whoop.

It required no skill whatsoever, which is why I was able to do it. It implies no "secret knowledge" on my part.

Why the hell would I even do such a thing? You think I would get some sort of thrill by WASTING MY TIME in an Internet forum going "tee hee watch me pretend I'm stupid?"

The only thing being proven here is that some people spend so much time in this forum their world revolves around it.

All I'm doing is trying to get help powering a laser I bought on eBay. I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!!

(one... Two...)

Toke

Not too many people come here just to buy. They do sometimes, but its always a hit and run. People come here for info. If you want to fit in its hard, because we all are DIY freaks. You have nothing in common with any of the regulars because you really dont know anything, nor do you want to know anything. So there is really nothing for us to talk about. This is not a regular chat forum. We do chat, but its mostly about laser tech, electronics, circuits, ect, with some BS in between. You will get flamed for asking questions you could easly look up yourself. So you might be in the wrong place.

That is a nice summary, you may want to put it somewhere for easy copy/paste for other nobs. :D

MojoLA

I think TJ is making grand assumptions about me based on very little info, which takes us back to my intuition about him in the first place and my offer - If he (or anyone else) thinks i'm a useless troll, you are encouraged to ignore me and focus your energy elsewhere. I won't mind. There are plenty of other people here for me to play with.

If I actually break any forum rules, you are welcome to report me to admin, where he can review and see if I should be kicked out. In the meantime, I come in peace.

Now, back to the movie.

If anyone is interested in helping, here are pics of a 6V DC adaptor I have laying around. Would that work, or would 6V fry the board?

As a more general question, is red generally positive? Because if I use this (or find a similar 5V adaptor), there is a red stripe running down the side, which I assume means that is the positive lead.

Also, here is a pic of the label on the adaptor, showing which areas of the connector are + and -. Does this mean I can shove the red (+) wire from the laser inside the jack, and simply touch the - lead to the outside? If so, I can avoid chopping the jack off the adaptor and ruining it.

Anyway, i'm off to Fry's now to see if I can find a native 5V adaptor.

Attachments

• power1.jpg
    power1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 163
  • power2.jpg
    power2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

MojoLA

Until I get it working, which I just did! I used a 6v adaptor I had buried in a cable drawer.

I put the + lead inside the connector, and wrapped the - around the outside of it. The laser is adjustable from 0 to 50mw, with a recommended setting of 15. I'm leaving it at approx 10mw.

The big question is, will 6v fry the board? Does it matter that I'm running the laser so conservatively?

do_not_feed_the_trolls_card-p137475352086976007tra8_210.jpg

1335054668_2286a7b53a.jpg

586960641_b68d4b1b0b.jpg

images

Misc-Do_not_feed_the_trolls_%282%29.jpg

do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg

Troll.jpg

do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg

8763d1227258262-quality-of-life-on-19-000rs-month-trolls_feed.jpg

thanks for saying it MojoLA in the third post about tech junkie cause once i said my mind to him and i got banned for a week or so:mad:

thanks for saying it MojoLA in the third post about tech junkie cause once i said my mind to him and i got banned for a week or so:mad:

You got banned for using an anonomizer, and nothing more. What do you have to hide?

Have a tissue..

w_toro_blk.jpg

daguin

It wasn't what you said. It was how you said it ;)

Peace,
dave

MojoLA

Very mature, TJ. Thanks for proving me right about your issues, talk about transparency.

Although I suppose with 7,000 posts in under a year, clearly you have very little life outside of the forum.

I suppose it makes sense that this is where you get your fill of emotional experience, so I understand your need to "act out" in the forum - it's the one place in life you have some stature.

I actually once did some work with emotionally underdeveloped children, so is is all too familiar.

Seriously, spend some time away from the computer, try to engage in "real world" activities with other people, you'd be surprised how much it will affect you (in a positive way).

Good luck to you!

LMAO. You cant troll a troll fool.

And I am the OVERLORD....Biatch.

troll.gif

BTW January 09 -January 10 is one year. Its now October 10. D'uh.

Last edited:

daguin

Very mature, TJ. Thanks for proving me right about your issues, talk about transparency.

Although I suppose with 7,000 posts in under a year, clearly you have very little life outside of the forum.

I suppose it makes sense that this is where you get your fill of emotional experience, so I understand your need to "act out" in the forum - it's the one place in life you have some stature.

I actually once did some work with emotionally underdeveloped children, so is is all too familiar.

Seriously, spend some time away from the computer, try to engage in "real world" activities with other people, you'd be surprised how much it will affect you (in a positive way).

Good luck to you!

So we have graduated from content trolling to ad hom trolling, eh?

Getting closer to your goal ;)

Peace,
dave

i dont even know what an anonomizer is and the reason i got banned was cause i cussed

i completely agree with MojoLA again tech junkie must never spend time off line and since this forum is his life he thinks he can make other people feel bad about not knowing every detail about everything that hast to do with lasers or electricity