Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Help Building Green Laser

Gmanh22

Hello. I have just recently signed up on the lpf and have gained a small understanding of laser pointers and their components. I currently have a small 303 green laser which actually is bright by my standards but I came here because I want some help to go bigger. After watching some videos And did some research I found the NUGM03 1watt 525nm diode on DTR lasers shop. So I went down to the options and was wondering if the diode with the copper casing and driver would be a good idea? Also what lens to get since there are multiple to choose from. I have read that the G-8 seem to be the best option atm for both power and beam focus. I then don’t know where to find housings for a laser of this strength. Where do I even start to find the correct batteries? Again I am limited with my knowledge of this stuff and any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Edit:
I found that the 2e lens works best for the diode and I found a housing for the laser on survival lasers. The housing takes 2 cr123 batteries or a single 18650. I’m not sure which one would be able to power the 1 watt sufficiently and be able to get max output.

Last edited:

gazer101

Hello. I have just recently signed up on the lpf and have gained a small understanding of laser pointers and their components. I currently have a small 303 green laser which actually is bright by my standards but I came here because I want some help to go bigger. After watching some videos And did some research I found the NUGM03 1watt 525nm diode on DTR lasers shop. So I went down to the options and was wondering if the diode with the copper casing and driver would be a good idea? Also what lens to get since there are multiple to choose from. I have read that the G-8 seem to be the best option atm for both power and beam focus. I then don’t know where to find housings for a laser of this strength. Where do I even start to find the correct batteries? Again I am limited with my knowledge of this stuff and any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Edit:
I found that the 2e lens works best for the diode and I found a housing for the laser on survival lasers. The housing takes 2 cr123 batteries or a single 18650. I’m not sure which one would be able to power the 1 watt sufficiently and be able to get max output.
I used 2x 18350 batteries: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/newly-completed-1w-greenie.107169/

Hi,
Yes as Gazer said 2X18350 batteries, that would be ok for shorter duty cycles. You can also use 2X18650 batteries in a host that holds them . That would give you longer run time between charges . The G2 lens will be fine or a g3 lens that would give a small lower loss to.
The G8 and G2 lenses will give optimum power. If im not mistaken the 03 diode has a factory ball lens and can not be focused without removing the ball lens. If you decide to do that then it will be an open can diode and special care must be take to avoid getting anything on the diodes tase inside or else POOF...
Rich:)

Gmanh22

Thank you for the help!
Also I was wondering if instead of using a host that fits 2 18650 batteries if I could just use one that fits 2 cr123a batteries and have a less use time for the laser. I want this for cost purposes and more compact uses. Will I still get full power from the diode?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
The current draw might be a little high for cr123 cells. I try not to ask them for more than about an amp.

Gmanh22

Alrighty thanks but how about a single 18650? If I need 2 that’s fine I’m just curious

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Any 18650 sold as a vaping battery will be a high discharge type and will be able to provide plenty of current. Two cells will give more run time and your driver will likely run a bit cooler as well.

Gmanh22

Alrighty planning on using 2 rcr123 3.7 V batteries in a c6 host. Thanks again for the help!😁

Philipnzw

Alrighty planning on using 2 rcr123 3.7 V batteries in a c6 host. Thanks again for the help!😁

Alternatively you can use two 18350 cells in a c6 type host. I personally use two Efest 18350 (each supports continuous 10A draw) and they work wonderfully.

Edit: Make sure you use a buck driver when you use two cells and a boost driver if you use one cell.

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Alternatively you can use two 18350 cells in a c6 type host. I personally use two Efest 18350 (each supports continuous 10A draw) and they work wonderfully.

Edit: Make sure you use a buck driver when you use two cells and a boost driver if you use one cell.
Does Efest make a protected 18350? In the build proposed here I think protected cells would be a must if two cells are used. Unprotected cells could still give good output from the laser even when each cell was down to <2.5V-----permanent battery damage territory

Philipnzw

Does Efest make a protected 18350? In the build proposed here I think protected cells would be a must if two cells are used. Unprotected cells could still give good output from the laser even when each cell was down to <2.5V-----permanent battery damage territory

Hmm I'm not too sure about that. I think they do offer protected cells. I monitor my batteries constantly to make sure they don't discharge to 2.5V
But yes, I'd say that a protected cell would be better in this case.