Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEED HELP! Building a custom laser. 9mm 445nm up to 2.5W

Hi everyone. This will be my first build. I currently have a 1.5W 445nm blue laser i think it should be the M140? Let me know what you guys think, its running off 2 cr123 batteries.

I have a problem with a build im going to be doing.
Here are the parts im going to be buying.

9mm 445nm Laser diode with copper heatsink. (ebay or someone)

Host Kit
Survival Laser Stainless Steel Host Assembly, Extended and Tapered Heat Sink

Battery Extension for 2x 18650 batteries
Battery Extension Tube- Stainless Steel

Pill to Seat the driver
Pill & Brass Ring

Driver
BlitzBuck V3.1 Round Adjustable 1.2-3.1A - $19.99 : Cajunlasers Store

The problem im going to the facing is this, I want 2 of these drivers to run together, the reason i dont want to use 1 driver, is because i dont want them to produce too much heat, i want them to relaxed. I want the laser to have a continuous use. No run cycles. I want to know if this is all possible.
Is it possible to link these drivers up together so their each putting out 1.05A to a total of 2.1a to power the 9mm diode?

If it is possible, how would i do it? how would i keep them cool for a continuous run cycle.

Im a newbie, so if i've made rookie mistakes. i apologise.

Last edited:

first off your driver is sold out........

second, personally i dont think you can get continuous duty out of that host even with a copper heat sink. if you want continuous duty cycles buy something like THIS or contact the seller and he can make you a custom heat sink for a host and it will be large enough to handle your wants.

usually we find that heat sinking the diode to be far more important than sinking the driver. one buck driver would be fine in order to get long to continuous run times. it would require some sinking at the power level you desire, but the big blue diode will need a hefty mass of al or cu to dissipate it's heat

Hey LivinLoud and cheech226, thanks for your replies and advice.

I love that new host you just showed me. It looks awsome. I will ask the seller how much hes selling them for. I knew my driver was sold out, i though i might wait for it in stock again. Is there any driver that works best with the 9mm 445nm diodes that can handle its power up to 3.5w? i just seen the link you showed me, i would love for my 9mm 445nm to go up to 3.5W. would it be possible to split the work load on to 2 drivers?

Blord

Don't expect every 445nm 9mm diode reach the 3.5Watt output. There are just a few super efficient diodes that can do that. And the driver have to deliver at least 2.5A current.
Most 9mm diodes fall into 2.8-3Watt.

Blord thanks for the reply. I've been reading alot of your posts and looking at your builds. Well done on them, they look awsome. Thanks for the advice. I'm learning alot from this forum. It's really helped me to understand more about the architecture behind these custom lasers.