Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help/advice with a r&g to yellow dual diode bulid.

I only threw out the comment on the BE because I wanted to chime in that there are achromatic expanders, I don't know it is needed. If you want to match the divergence of two diodes which have different beam characteristics, a beam expander won't bring their divergences closer together, but will reduce the beams from spreading apart as fast as they would otherwise. If you want to combine two diodes and have them stay together as one beam for a long distance, start out with diodes which have similar divergence or beam spread in both axis. You can however manipulate the divergences of unmatched diodes so they are much closer together by choosing lenses with different focal lengths, but then the beam diameters won't match. Perhaps you could clean things up with a tight tube to mask the larger beam diameter, but then you are loosing that power.

I vote to have the master solve this problem, cyp?

I hope you're joking. I do have a few thoughts, but I doubt I'm in the top 5% here when it comes to optics.

Is there splash without the combining element? If not, rethink the combining element choice. Is there splash with with a different collimating lens? If not, rethink the collimating lens choice. A mask will help only barely, because they are point sources. It's not practical here, but you may want to look into spacial filters. This is where you have a focusing lens, followed by a pinhole, or other heat-resistant adjustable aperture, followed by a re-collimating lens. Planters has a few videos demonstrating the effect.

BobMc

I only threw out the comment on the BE because I wanted to chime in that there are achromatic expanders, I don't know it is needed. If you want to match the divergence of two diodes which have different beam characteristics, a beam expander won't bring their divergences closer together, but will reduce the beams from spreading apart as fast as they would otherwise. If you want to combine two diodes and have them stay together as one beam for a long distance, start out with diodes which have similar divergence or beam spread in both axis. You can however manipulate the divergences of unmatched diodes so they are much closer together by choosing lenses with different focal lengths, but then the beam diameters won't match. Perhaps you could clean things up with a tight tube to mask the larger beam diameter, but then you are loosing that power.

I vote to have the master solve this problem, cyp?

Both beams are adjustable in power and position so some type of shield/filter could possibly work?

I hope you're joking. I do have a few thoughts, but I doubt I'm in the top 5% here when it comes to optics.

Is there splash without the combining element? If not, rethink the combining element choice. Is there splash with with a different collimating lens? If not, rethink the collimating lens choice. A mask will help only barely, because they are point sources. It's not practical here, but you may want to look into spacial filters. This is where you have a focusing lens, followed by a pinhole, or other heat-resistant adjustable aperture, followed by a re-collimating lens. Planters has a few videos demonstrating the effect.

Will look into Planters videos and see if it's something I could appropriate here.

Special filter are something to look at. Thanks

The master has spoken, he's usually right.

Would like to solve the problem, doesn't have to be 100% but if I could knock the slash down by 50% or more that would be fine. Thanks for all the ideas, gives me somewhere to go. :thanks:

A spacial filter or tight mask is what I'd use, just put a small diameter tube made from anything in front of the output and see how small it needs to be to cut out the splash.

BobMc

A spacial filter or tight mask is what I'd use, just put a small diameter tube made from anything in front of the output and see how small it needs to be to cut out the splash.

I've worked something out with Lifetime as per the 3x BE. Going to go down that road at first. We'll see how much that helps, then might have to incorporate a filter also. But one step at a time. I'm hoping that the adapter can be used on my other dual diode build i.e. the dual 44 build. Thinking that 12 watts of burning power would be something to behold, and would love to see it put a dot on the moon. :D

Only way I can think a BE will help is to act as a kind of mask to block out the splash, a bare tube should do that too. If I'm wrong I'd be happy to know why because that would mean I'm not tracking what the problem is.

BobMc

Only way I can think a BE will help is to act as a kind of mask to block out the splash, a bare tube should do that too. If I'm wrong I'd be happy to know why because that would mean I'm not tracking what the problem is.

You might be correct ( probably are ) but I've wanted to be able to hook up BE's to my dual diode units, so it's a " Hail Mary " pass, thinking that if it's a crash and burn I can still use it for my other duals and try plan "B".

Will keep the forum updated with success or failure. It's a learning curve.?

Last edited:
Not seeing what is happening, except there appears to be a lot of splash, my best guess is a tight tube will knock down the splash, maybe too tight and it will cause other problems. I don't know for sure either.

BobMc

Not seeing what is happening, except there appears to be a lot of splash, my best guess is a tight tube will knock down the splash, maybe too tight and it will cause other problems. I don't know for sure either.

Like I said it's s learning curve. If this doesn't work, we'll try plan "b" and if not, than plan "c" sooner or later something will work, it's just s matter of finding it. Thanks for your ideas, you never know. :)