Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need help! 300mw 635nm

danoz7

:wave so recently I made a host for a 635nm 300mw laser I have coming I don't have the diode yet only the driver when I powered up the driver with a 3.7v lithium ion I measured with the multimeter and it said it was outputting 6.94v, is that right? I asked the seller on ebay he said the voltage would drop when I connect it to the diode I know it will but will it drop enough?:confused: or will the diode break?:(

that is why we use test loads, The diode itself is a source of resistance. Make sure you short out the diode contacts on that driver before you connect the diode. Most drivers hold a charge and not doing this will instantly blow out your diode.

You can kill your driver by running it without a test load btw, especially if it's a boost driver. The driver will boost to whatever voltage it needs to in order to drive the current through the load's resistance. If the resistance is very high (e.g. air open circuit or DMM set to measure voltage) then the voltage boost can be so high that it basically fries the components from the inside out.