Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need a Laser to kill Spiders (!!)

The machining would be hard without a CNC, but that would work. Expect a terrible beam though.

I certainly would not expect it to be "pretty". But if you've got most of that 20W in the same spot, does it matter?

I figure the best way would be an aluminum plate with milled/drilled slots aligned as best as you could, then you'd have a little bit of wiggle for fine adjustments, then when it's right torque the hell out of the screws/bolts, and add loctite.

I've never killed anything with my lasers, but I have blinded flies. Then I can sneak up and kill them proper.

Insect death by way of directed energy weapon? Hmmm.

Might I suggest:
1) harvest a magnetron (complete with wall plug) from a microwave oven
2) construct directional shielding to contain the output to a 30 degree or lesser output arc
3) point & kill

I'm almost completely joking. Playing with magnetrons is pretty dangerous, but you can find a rather large number of 'pioneers' doing so on youtube. One video features home-made aluminum foil shielding to place over reproductive organs as a precautionary measure.

-vect0rx

One video features home-made aluminum foil shielding to place over reproductive organs as a precautionary measure

Aluminum is completely effective at shielding microwaves FTR. Chicken wire is too.

Lols gunna be like the cartoons... grabbin th flyswatter from you and smacking you with it.

Every time someone posts to this thread, I think of this...

1a264ddb-183b-411d-9f31-22667530b10a.jpg

Folder

OP You aren't a man if you're afraid of putting the spider in a glass and placing it outside. Only little girls are afraid of spiders. I really don't see the point in killing spiders for no reason, we have big ones here in Australia, but you have to know they're more afraid of you than you are of them -- we're a bloody lot bigger! Get your priorities back on track. Focus on getting raisin that IQ. Yeah, you heard me, how would you feel if I owned you with a 4KW industrial laser? Wouldn't you prefer I just put you in the place you should be? in your case, a home for the mentally unfit

Last edited:

INNOVA

I killed a decent-sized spider outside yesterday with my arctic 3.... It tried to run but died in a few seconds. I kept it on the spider for another few seconds just to make sure and it "POPED" :)

Spiders kill other bugs that are carriers of disease. I usually put them outside with a jar. But, if it's a Black Widow, I get it into a jar and then nuke it outside. I don't want it reproducing close to where I live. Black Widow bites can cause a long lasting syndrome called chronic arachnidism.....

Worsening pain, itching and a burning sensation develop. A patient may also have symptoms such as a red, itchy rash over the torso, arms and legs that is usually seen in the first 24-72 hours. Patients may have pain in the muscles and joints, fever, chills, swollen lymph nodes, headaches, and nausea and vomiting.

Last edited:
Black widow bites also can cause another long lasting syndrome called death!

ppctx

OP You aren't a man if you're afraid of putting the spider in a glass and placing it outside. Only little girls are afraid of spiders. I really don't see the point in killing spiders for no reason, we have big ones here in Australia, but you have to know they're more afraid of you than you are of them -- we're a bloody lot bigger! Get your priorities back on track. Focus on getting raisin that IQ. Yeah, you heard me, how would you feel if I owned you with a 4KW industrial laser? Wouldn't you prefer I just put you in the place you should be? in your case, a home for the mentally unfit

Uhhh, right, putting a spider in a jar is the differentiating factor between man and woman.. mmkay

You should raise your IQ by researching what a phobia is. It doesn’t have to make sense to you but the fear, whatever it may be, is very real for the person with the phobia. Some may think your love to an eight legged bug is weird, but I bet that doesn’t diminish your love for the little buggers.

f892bca4.jpg

Last edited: