Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NDG7475 Crushed

snakeyes

LPF Site Supporter
So I bought this..

I over tightened my G8 lens crushed the lens..
Like a noob..
I’m bummed..
slightly lol. I understand and I’m one with learning and making mistakes and moving forward and working through things.
So I ordered a bunch of different and new lens just to find out that not only did I crush the lens I also crushed the diode. And it no longer works.
2F4DA779-61A2-4CF3-AF37-2D1555A832B5.jpeg

Which brings me to the reason of my post.. Can I just order the diode only and replace it in my DTR heat sink. Or is it hard to take apart that set up? Looking for guidance, advice, and solutions. Thank you to LPF community in advance from happy and grateful member.. Michael.

gazer101

Oh noes :oops:! You can replace the diode within the heatsink, personally I'd go with the cheaper NUGM03 1W green diode (sure it needs to be decanned, but my green laser I built using it has been working fine for 2+ months now).

Maybe look into focusing-ring-type springs, that way it becomes impossible for you to over tighten the lens: https://www.survivallaser.com/External_Lens_Spring_5-Pack/p556088_7919826.aspx

Giannis_TDM

So I bought this..

I over tightened my G8 lens crushed the lens..
Like a noob..
I’m bummed..
slightly lol. I understand and I’m one with learning and making mistakes and moving forward and working through things.
So I ordered a bunch of different and new lens just to find out that not only did I crush the lens I also crushed the diode. And it no longer works.
View attachment 70006

Which brings me to the reason of my post.. Can I just order the diode only and replace it in my DTR heat sink. Or is it hard to take apart that set up? Looking for guidance, advice, and solutions. Thank you to LPF community in advance from happy and grateful member.. Michael.
I got an idea! Mabey you pressed the can up to the diode pins at the point where they short out. Try to pull off the can or remove the bend and you may be able to save your diode.

Hi,
First of all why did you tighten the G8 all the way down towards the diode? The G8 lens starts to focus when the lens is almost threaded all the way out because of the focal length of the lens. Thats a big costly mistake .
Rich:)

Giannis_TDM

Hi,
First of all why did you tighten the G8 all the way down towards the diode? The G8 lens starts to focus when the lens is almost threaded all the way out because of the focal length of the lens. Thats a big costly mistake .
If my theory is correct, he might be able to rescue his diode.

If he didn't crush the window or bend the top of the can on an angle maybe he will have a chance of not having to replace the diode
he will find out when he fires it up and tries to focus it.

snakeyes

LPF Site Supporter
@Lifetime17 i was kind of screwing it down for storage, as opposed to loosely on there. Didn't realize the diode was that close.. i made mistake, the cost of that mistake hurts.. also i tried to focus it with the new lens and it looks like the worst flashlight i have ever owned.. so i'm assuming that means the diodes trash.?

@gazer101 besides being canned what are the differences between a NDG7475 and a NUGM03? i'm not opposed to any options and haven't ordered anything yet.. also i've never decanned anything. any pics, tips, links, or advice would be appreciated.

@Gianakakis i'm not following you exactly.. what should i try to do? i tried just a new lens and that didn't work.

also how do y'all store your lenses?

Giannis_TDM

@Lifetime17 i was kind of screwing it down for storage, as opposed to loosely on there. Didn't realize the diode was that close.. i made mistake, the cost of that mistake hurts.. also i tried to focus it with the new lens and it looks like the worst flashlight i have ever owned.. so i'm assuming that means the diodes trash.?

@gazer101 besides being canned what are the differences between a NDG7475 and a NUGM03? i'm not opposed to any options and haven't ordered anything yet.. also i've never decanned anything. any pics, tips, links, or advice would be appreciated.

@Gianakakis i'm not following you exactly.. what should i try to do? i tried just a new lens and that didn't work.

Wait so the actual diode isnt broken?

gazer101

NDG' maxes out at 1.4W while NUG' maxes out at 1.2W

Philipnzw

Maybe the output just looks like trash...because the diode window has been crushed and the light is bouncing around in there with all the small pieces of broken glass around?
Anyway, to decan a diode you would also need to remove the diode from your module. Not sure if DTR sells diode removing push tools but if he doesn't, i think you can get lifetime17 to machine you one.

I don't see many options to save the diode other than to decan it. It would be a very tricky task, and if you can afford a new diode/ or go with the decanned NUGM03, it would be much easier. Besides, you might find that the diode is still somehow damaged, after decanning it.
Although many here recommend the NUGM03, lets not forget that, to focus it, you need to decan it. Decanning means the laser die is now exposed to air, which means any small dust particle can now burn and fuse onto the laser die, possibly killing the laser diode. Personally, i do own a decanned NUGM03, and though it has been with me for nearly half a year now, i still do feel nervous about the exposed die. With all that being said though, many here have run the NUGM03 decanned and have no issues with it. But the possibility of accidental damage to the laser die is higher than a canned diode.

I'd recommend the recent SHARP 520nm 500mW diode as a budget replacement. It won't be as bright (max is 700mW @1.8A IIRC) but it is also cheaper than the NDG7475 and the NUGM03. It is also doesn't need to be decanned as it comes with the regular style diode window.

I don't think any of us here store the lens in any special way. I just leave the lens on since i don't want any extra dust particles near my laser diodes. Just find a safe place for your laser (make sure nobody reaches it and turns it on by accident) and you are good.

snakeyes

LPF Site Supporter
@Gianakakis

I'm not sure. it turns on with some light output but i cant focus it with a lens. so im assuming its dead.

@Philipnzw

wow thank you for the detail and all the info. you really broke things down for me and i appreciate that. i will attempt to decan the NDG7475 just for fun. but as far as my next diode im unsure.. i know ill be buying a push tool either way. i have the super x driver @2.2 amps and im not sure how to change that if i changed diodes, short of buying another driver completely. as far as my lens comments go its because i have zero diodes right now and 5 different lens.