Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NDG700 vs

Gabe

The FAC upgraded diodes with a square spot output needs a much longer FL lens to focus at distance.

View attachment 73260

The FAC upgraded diodes with the line output you can use with our normal lenses and have improved divergence if I understand what Drake said over on discord correctly and I believe I do, I haven't bought any yet ( well I just did actually ) as I prefer c-lens correction, however I would like to build a knife edge array with several after I test the one I have ordered, now the square output FAC diode I have in the nubm08 unit and it's the one in my pic, it won't focus worth a dam with our normal lenses ( G2, G3, 3E, G7, G8 ) but will focus to point at distance with a bigger/longer focal length lens, I expect these are made for the home hobby cnc makers and the line output for improved display beams....Soo you want the FAC diodes red, green or blue with the line output for your pointer builds and you should have improved divergence, I will try to post results of mine when I get it.
Really, the line output ones have better divergence than the uncorrected diodes? I noticed line output and square output FAC diodes on ebay, i expected the line ones to be useless for our applications

That's what I thought when I bought the square output FAC modified nubm08, then when I powered it up I discovered all of our regular m9x0.5 barreled lenses were useless except for very short distance such as desktop use, otherwise the spot was HUGE, it needed a much longer FL lens as in my pic to focus to distance, but it did focus much tighter at distance ( such as 10 meters )

I expect the FAC modified line output won't have the rapidly ever lengthening line like the uncorrected diodes do, it's probably a very short line/rectangle output that doesn't diverge as rapidly, Drake said they are similar to a small c-lens correction factor so that adds up, my FAC-line output unit will arrive by Aug 30th so.......I will post on it later, if they are good then I want to make a knife edge array with a few.

Gabe

That's what I thought when I bought the square output FAC modified nubm08, then when I powered it up I discovered all of our regular m9x0.5 barreled lenses were useless except for very short distance such as desktop use, otherwise the spot was HUGE, it needed a much longer FL lens as in my pic to focus to distance, but it did focus much tighter at distance ( such as 10 meters )

I expect the FAC modified line output won't have the rapidly ever lengthening line like the uncorrected diodes do, it's probably a very short line/rectangle output that doesn't diverge as rapidly, Drake said they are similar to a small c-lens correction factor so that adds up, my FAC-line output unit will arrive by Aug 30th so.......I will post on it later, if they are good then I want to make a knife edge array with a few.
That’ll be awesome, i look forward to your results. and where can i find the information about the Discord server? I’d like to join if possible!

I will message the admin. and he should message you with a link.
BTW there are 2 of them so I will message both, also Unknown can invite you to the new one.

Well I’ve officially decided. I ordered the NDG700 with G8 lens and will be pushing it at 1.5A which should net roughly 800mw. Not quite the 1 watt mark but I have no problem trading peak power for longer duty cycle.

My NDB7875 (2.4w) is currently in a SL stainless host and it heats up too fast for my liking. I ordered the S4X for the blue diode and I’ll be putting the green in the stainless host.. hoping it doesn’t get too hot.

Thanks for the help guys!

Gabe

Well I’ve officially decided. I ordered the NDG700 with G8 lens and will be pushing it at 1.5A which should net roughly 800mw. Not quite the 1 watt mark but I have no problem trading peak power for longer duty cycle.

My NDB7875 (2.4w) is currently in a SL stainless host and it heats up too fast for my liking. I ordered the S4X for the blue diode and I’ll be putting the green in the stainless host.. hoping it doesn’t get too hot.

Thanks for the help guys!
Sounds like a good plan, best of luck!

Son of a gun! I just received my NDG700 today and haven't built it just yet. I happened to hop on to DTR's page and OF COURSE the NDG 7475 is in stock now!! OMG lol.. if only I would have waited a couple more days. I'm so tempted to order the 7475 now.. just not sure what the hell I'm going to do with the 700 smh

Experimenting and learning about lasers 1st hand is a lot of fun, however make sure you wear your laser safety glasses that attenuate the wavelength you will be working with when ever you are working in the near field or on your bench top or any time you could experience a specular reflection of your laser beam because eye damage can be a lifelong disability, so safety 1st and always is the most important thing you need to know.

The FAC corrected diode in the previous link is designed to have improved divergence, that is a better looking beam that doesn't spread out as quickly over distance.

**CORRECTION** I now have both the square and bar output FAC corrected nubm08 and after testing it appears they are made for home CNC use, not for laser displays or pointers, not conclusive to good far field beam specs, I suspect the red and green FAC modified Chinesium laser diodes might be the same......if anyone has tested the FAC 525nm nugm03/04 please advise.

Last edited:
Experimenting and learning about lasers 1st hand is a lot of fun, however make sure you wear your laser safety glasses that attenuate the wavelength you will be working with when ever you are working in the near field or on your bench top or any time you could experience a specular reflection of your laser beam because eye damage can be a lifelong disability, so safety 1st and always is the most important thing you need to know.

The FAC corrected diode in the previous link is designed to have improved divergence, that is a better looking beam that doesn't spread out as quickly over distance.
Appreciate the help. I gotta tell you I'm not a complete noob but I definitely have a lot to learn lol. The laser safety was drilled into me 8 years ago when I joined these forums.. you only get one set of eyeballs!

I got my good friend into lasers recently and I had to drill it into him too. I've been explaining to him just how dangerous these things can be, especially high power blues which of course he's interested in. It wasn't until he watched a few Youtube videos (likely Styropro) that he finally got the picture. He's now trying to tell me how bad they are and I'm like mannnnnn I TOLD YOU! hahahaha. He's 60 years old btw

Little update.

I have transplanted the 2.4w Blue components into the new S4X host I ordered and it went well. The host is definitely worth the price; very impressed with it! Threads all feel great, the size and weight are substantial which is nice, and the most important thing is my Duty Cycle is damn near infinite from what I can tell! I turned it on last night and started my stopwatch; I let it go for 10 minutes and the thing was barely warm!! When it was in the stainless SL host the Duty Cycle was like a minute or so before it started to get warm/hot.. needless to say I'm very happy with the new host and plan on ordering more of them.

Been having fun with my 800mw greenie. It's not a balloon popping monster like the blue but it sure has one hell of a bright beam. It's easily on par with my other 7W blue as far as brightness is concerned. Using a G8 lens the divergence seems very good as well. The only negative comes down to the stainless SL host once more; the laser gets hot similar to how the blue was in the same host. As nice as the stainless host is, it seems it is best suited for lower power builds.. I may put my 405nm build in it we'll see. As of now I plan to order another S4X for the NDG700 and maybe even another one as I'm very tempted to build a NUBM07. If I go for the 465nm blue monster I'll underpower it a little with 3Amps or so which will still hopefully get me close to 4watts of sexy baby blue beamness XD