Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Name changes to Isaac Clarke

To avoid frustration with games, I suggest waiting 1-2 years after release to play them. By that time the price has usually fallen by at least 70%, it's a more polished product, and there is often a GOTY edition or something that includes several DLCs. Not to mention you're not gonna need the latest and most expensive video card.

In other news, am I the only one seeing unusually large discrepancy in expected vs actual number of "gamers" in an otherwise highly technical and cutting-edge tech oriented community? That was always a bit weird for me.

Gaming is very time consuming. After dealing with work work, 8-10 hours of my day, travel, other chores, 1-3 hours a day, and sleep, 6-8 hours, I personally find myself just not having that much time during the week.

When I do have free time, find myself becoming a netflix consuming vegetable... or if the weather is good, I'm outside.

It's really kind of sad, most of my steam game library is untouched. Used to be a very involved gamer while in high school and college.

Now I don't expect I'll touch games much until Oculus Rift or HTC Vive are released, and even then probably not for a bit since there is a very hefty pricetag involved. (Minimum 1k for me, for headset, video card, and a few games.)

To avoid frustration with games, I suggest waiting 1-2 years after release to play them. By that time the price has usually fallen by at least 70%, it's a more polished product, and there is often a GOTY edition or something that includes several DLCs. Not to mention you're not gonna need the latest and most expensive video card.

Gaming is very time consuming. After dealing with work work, 8-10 hours of my day, travel, other chores, 1-3 hours a day, and sleep, 6-8 hours, I personally find myself just not having that much time during the week.

When I do have free time, find myself becoming a netflix consuming vegetable... or if the weather is good, I'm outside.

It's really kind of sad, most of my steam game library is untouched. Used to be a very involved gamer while in high school and college.

Now I don't expect I'll touch games much until Oculus Rift or HTC Vive are released, and even then probably not for a bit since there is a very hefty pricetag involved. (Minimum 1k for me, for headset, video card, and a few games.)

I actually do a lot of stuff on the side (aside from main college obligations). I do number of different projects for different companies at any time to earn cash (programming, web maintenance, etc), and I am even dabbling in game development and me and my friends got an upcoming game which should be in presentable state by the end of this year, and I'm normally in charge for various engineering parts (systems, feedback), I am also the main programmer (logic, infrastructure, shaders), modeller (I use student's version of 3DS Max 2016 for modelling and animating) and as of recently, music composer as well (I play guitar and synths/keyboards). We also do our own animations on the account of passing knowledge and experience of swordfighting and parkour.

So I really don't think I'm a passive person or missing out on anything. I just use up all of my free time. Usually and most frequently by playing games.

Oh, on the downside: Oculus Rift is out, actually. It costs $600. I did try it and while it is unbelievably awesome, it's actually more like "super novelty never-before-seen awesome", instead of "worth a pretty good gaming PC cash" awesome. It's a relatively fresh technology and it's gonna take time for it to be both approachable, and have some actual freakin' content for it. While the expo demos were great, I'm not actually seeing any "VR friendly/VR Designed" games or software out there.

Yikes, maybe it's my depression speaking, but that sounds exhausting :whistle:

Or I'm also just lazy :p

Oh, on the downside: Oculus Rift is out, actually. It costs $600. I did try it and while it is unbelievably awesome, it's actually more like "super novelty never-before-seen awesome", instead of "worth a pretty good gaming PC cash" awesome. It's a relatively fresh technology and it's gonna take time for it to be both approachable, and have some actual freakin' content for it. While the expo demos were great, I'm not actually seeing any "VR friendly/VR Designed" games or software out there.

It's available for pre-order, and developer headsets can be purchased now for around 1500-3000 iirc. The commercial versions are not out yet, earliest they may ship is March.

The amount of content is growing rapidly too... I see new apps on the oculus store with Gear Vr all the time.

The first generation probably won't be a big hit due to price, and technical limitations, like still needing wires. That said, I completely disagree that it's not worth a good gaming PC.

IMO what we'll end up seeing is a split with VR into two segments, standalone wearable versions that are light on capabilities, but deliver things like the ability to watch 360 video, or mimic a private movie theater anywhere, with very very light gaming, and heavy duty version that require a secondary PC to run.

There is ZERO doubt that samsung will be releasing future phones targeted at virtual reality use also. Personally, I would have killed to have had something like the Gear VR on a 10 or 16 hour flight.

Yeah!

I bought myself an Xbox One a few weeks ago due to my previous console(Xbox 360) having reached the old age of 10 years old, yikes! :eek:

I've picked up 2 games so far for it(Dying Light & Battlefield Hardline) the latter which I haven't played the series since BBC2 so everything was brand new. I am looking forward to buying FarCry Primal(which is part of the FarCry series but set 12,000 IIRC before present day) since I've enjoyed the series :yh:

Also, how is GTA 5 still $59.99 when it's more then 2 years old?!?!?!

-Alex

Also, how is GTA 5 still $59.99 when it's more then 2 years old?!?!?!

-Alex

I've seen it for $30-35 on sale. GTA prices are always inflated because of consoles imo.

Want to get fallout 4, but that's no happening until it dips to $30, which I predict will be around November.

I've seen it for $30-35 on sale. GTA prices are always inflated because of consoles imo.

Want to get fallout 4, but that's no happening until it dips to $30, which I predict will be around November.

Strange. At my local Target and the XBL store it's still $59.99, but im sure you can get it much cheaper used(of course).

I bought the 500GB Xbox One and didn't realize the OS would chew so much space out, I only have 328GB left and 2 games ate 6% already! :eek:

-Alex

Strange. At my local Target and the XBL store it's still $59.99, but im sure you can get it much cheaper used(of course).

I bought the 500GB Xbox One and didn't realize the OS would chew so much space out, I only have 328GB left and 2 games ate 6% already! :eek:

-Alex

:crackup:

Of course in a retail store the price is high, and will likely remain the same. Have to buy games online if you want a deal.

Then again, that was always part of the reason consoles never appealed to me... being locked into a system with no upgrade-able parts, limited repair options, and no ability to install games than are, of an uhm, shall we say "grey" origin. Though surprisingly my current game library is 100% legal... scary times we live in.

When you game at 1280x1024, you don't need the latest video card for ultra high settings.:p

When you game at 1280x1024, you don't need the latest video card for ultra high settings.:p

That's true, unfortunately you do if you want to run even one 4k monitor, let alone 2 of them :(

GTX970, currently the most popular and in use video card, is ~$250-350, and it is just the bare minimum to run the Oculus Rift/HTC Vive.

Personally I think I'll hold off on getting either VR headset for a bit, mostly because of the video card... next generation of GPU's will hit the market shortly and I expect we'll see a successor to the 970 around July. If I'm spending $300 on a video card, I kind of want it to last at least a year or two. The GTX460 I'm currently using has served me well, but it's definitely looong past it's prime, can't come close to playing new games on ultra settings, but that's to be expected from what is now 6 year old technology.

and what about ultra expensive GPU like Titans and quadro and AMD R series? Intel is no longer in the GPU market it seem...

Intel is all about integrated graphics now, which are adequate for everything except gaming/video editing.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 is the second most popular graphics option out there currently.

On the ultra high end of things, we're probably going to see new architecture cards ship as early as March/April. Personally I can't justify spending that much, but if I could I would still wait for a little while.

Hey Isaac Clarke - three quick things:

1) I like the name change, and the reasoning behind it!
2) Glad to hear that the profile pic stays!
3) Thanks for all that you do around here - you help make this a great place!

-jeff

I like his avatar coming back to the previous one as well, and your new one now too Ion... :)

may be i should keep this avatar for a while... and in my signature formerly FUBeaches