Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

N465 9MM Laser Diode

Hi everyone i am looking to buy 1 of the n465 diodes dtr used to sell i was a bit late and he sold out must look the same as in the pic.

thanx everyone

Hi Evans,
The diode that Alaskan showed in the link is a 465/470 diode it just has a G Ball lens on it and can not be focused to a better divergence with just a G2 lens or similar lens. The only easy way to do this is to take the G Ball lens off and then it will be an open can diodes . You will have to be careful not to get anything on the emitters or XX Dead. I have taken the Ball lens off a few and they work great and then you can focus the beam with a regular aspheric lens that we use here.

Rich:)

LaserRanger

What's the lifetime of the diode once you remove the gball? Does it die fast too?

Hi, I built about three builds with the open can with this diode and they are still going for the customers. And that's in the last 6 to 7 months.
So I am assuming that they are pretty strong without the gBall lens you just need to be careful if you attempt to change the lens out.

Didn't RedCowboy do something with a second lens backwards or something so the gball lens can remain intact?

Hi Alaskan,
Yes he does that mod to the lens I think it was an NDB7A75 or an 06 he builds a lot like that to retain the G Ball.

I have used a coupler ( made by Rich ) to employ a backwards G2 on an intact GBall diode before, however using another GBall from a sister diode taken from the same block would likely work the best.

Note: The couplers are 12mm wide so the whole thing ( module and coupler ) can be put into a heat sink much like a longer module.

Most people will probably just remove the GBall and maybe keeping it clean will help, there has been some discussions I have read online outside of LPF about facet degradation in multi watt blue laser diodes supposedly due to humidity causing oxide deposits on the facet that result in burn through..........It's possible that current production diodes may be using a coating that may resist this, but it's also suggested that there's a backfill gas inside the can.

HEY........it's a hobby and 465nm is really pretty, try and see, conduct your own testing and enjoy the pretty beams, then report back your findings. :)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...hic_Degradation_of_InGaNGaN_Blue_Laser_Diodes

More info: https://vdocuments.mx/facet-degradation-of-alingan-laser-diodes.html

gballcouplersb2G8.jpggballfix1b2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I think this is the one I was looking for : https://www.researchgate.net/public...gradation_of_GaN_heterostructure_laser_diodes

Interesting, so if the facet is coated on the outside and operated in dry air it should be safe.

Lets say our favorite diodes are both coated and the can is back filled with dry air, so when we remove the can the facet is still protected until we get contaminates such as dust ( even microscopic particles ) from our household air onto the coated facet and the high output burns that contaminant onto the coated facet damaging the coating, now the moisture in our air can cause oxide deposits that result in burn through.

So if un-canned then keeping it clean is very important.

Last edited:
Hi Red, Thank you so much for chiming in on this post and clarifying the basic results buddy Kudos!!!

I have used a coupler ( made by Rich ) to employ a backwards G2 on an intact GBall diode before, however using another GBall from a sister diode taken from the same block would likely work the best.

Note: The couplers are 12mm wide so the whole thing ( module and coupler ) can be put into a heat sink much like a longer module.

Most people will probably just remove the GBall and maybe keeping it clean will help, there has been some discussions I have read online outside of LPF about facet degradation in multi watt blue laser diodes supposedly due to humidity causing oxide deposits on the facet that result in burn through..........It's possible that current production diodes may be using a coating that may resist this, but it's also suggested that there's a backfill gas inside the can.

HEY........it's a hobby and 465nm is really pretty, try and see, conduct your own testing and enjoy the pretty beams, then report back your findings. :)

https://www.researchgate.net/public...hic_Degradation_of_InGaNGaN_Blue_Laser_Diodes

More info: https://vdocuments.mx/facet-degradation-of-alingan-laser-diodes.html

View attachment 64554View attachment 64555
When they repeatedly use the term "un coated", is that their tech speak for un canned? Or are they referring to something else entirely, like a literal coating on the facet..?

They are talking about a coating on the facet as I read it.

Last edited: