Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My PHR-803T Laser Will Not Work

I have been working on getting the parts for building my 405nm laser for a while, and I finally have them all together. They are a PHR-803T Violet Diode, an Aixiz Housing, a 117mA Rckstr Driver, and a 9 Volt Snapper. When I attached them all together, I got nothing coming out of the diode.
I know my 9 Volt battery works, and all of the parts I ordered are from trusted sites. I received my Driver straight from Mohrenburg, though. Matt said that they worked, they just started to flicker after a while of use. He sent it to me only for the price of shipping.
I don't know if the driver is the problem, but I really don't know what to do at this point. The only other thing that could be wrong is a few weeks ago, I had the snapper attached to a 9 Volt battery. Both of the wires on it made contact with the housing, but not the diode, and this makes me wonder if that may have broke the diode.
If anyone has any ideas of what I should do, I'd really appreciate to hear them.

Thanks,
Connor9195

JLSE

Test your driver with a meter, if its supplying the current than its the diode. Have you handled the diode without a ground strap on your wrist? Static can be your worst enemy, even if you dont feel, hear, or see it.

Did you ever put the battery on the wrong way? if so that could be your problem! also make sure all connections are soldered and are making solid contact!

Hope that helped! -Adrian

Seems like you didn't bother to check your circuitry with a Test Load
and DMM before subjecting your PHR-803T Laser Diode to the unknown...

It may not be too late... maybe only a loose or reversed connection...
I would suggest testing your circuit with a Test Load to be sure....

Jerry

I don't currently have a DMM, but I believe I can go pick one up tonight. How do I test the current of the driver? I also do not want to buy a test load unless I definately have to.
But to test the driver do I just put the leads on the driver? Does the driver have to be attached to a battery or test load to find the current? And if the driver does have a current, what do I do about the diode?

Thanks,
Connor9195

the easiest and best way i can teach you is by referring you to this site.... www.rog8811.com on the right side of his page scroll down to "laser driver" literally everything you need about diy drivers and test loads.

cust11

I would highly suggest you invest in a test load unless you want this hobby to cost much more than you planned (in a bad way). What would you be thinking if you toasted a $60 GGW (6x) diode or a *ugh* $200 BDR (8x) because you didn't want to verify everything working correctly with a test load. Just my $0.02

-Mike