Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My personal laser concept

Hey everyone, I have been a part of the laser community for about 10 years but have been very inactive for a long time. When I heard about the new blue laser diodes it didn't take me long to start building a few. My current favorite that I will be showing you in a video is a 3.5 W 445nm laser. I originally planned to put it in a project box but I actually began to like having it as a big ball of tape lol. But any way what I want to show you are two key features that I think will be appreciated and may help give others ideas. Like I said it has been a while since I have been around so people might be doing this now but I never seen it. One feature is how compact it is but yet has decent battery life. I have another one that is even smaller but not as cool :). The other feature is the ability to adjust the lens with a switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mU1ueJO3D0

Last edited:

Very cool like the focus motor. How did you make the motor reverse, or what did you use for it? Video is very hard to see and only shown quickly

The motor is wired to a momentary DPDT switch which makes it reverse the polarities thus changing direction of the motor. The motor has a timing belt wrapped around the lens. I did try an actual timing belt but it didn't work. A strip of gorilla tape works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fayAvNI5eEI&index=1&list=UUTa-Ah8vRNh_y2TGTxZGFLQ

The 2 pennies are there to help keep tension in the timing belt

Love the powered focus. How are you heat sinking the module edit: nvm I see you are using those classic fleabay hs, those don't have that much mass, what's the duty cycle? Do you have any pics before it became a ball of tape?

Last edited:
yea the heat sink is small. I was going for portability over duty cycle. I can run it for about 20 seconds tops. I do plan to get a nice big chunky heat sink once I get my hands on a NDB7A75 diode. I do not have any pictures from its previous state but you are not missing much. I did not premeditate the design to much so it is sloppy. I figure I just put a shell of tape on it to hold it together. Pretty much what I did was mount all the components on top of the battery pack. Simple, crude, but powerful and very compact. I wouldn't sell such a design but it fits what I wanted and I am happy with it.

Points for the focus :beer: I was thinking about a powered focus, but it involved gearing and seemed complex. This is a very cool solution.

Thank you for sharing!

~ LB

my first idea was to use a motor like this. Basically it would be a square with a rotating silicone o ring in the middle where the lens would go. Im sure there is something out there like that but I have not a clue of what it is called or where to get one.

Attachments

• o ring.jpg
    o ring.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I really like that concept! Thanks for sharing, hopefully some enterprising producers will pick this idea up and perfect it in a unit!