Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Nubm44 build

I bought my Nubm44 from DTR mounted in a 20mm module including the driver pre mounted and a G2 Lens.

Spent some time building this host. My aim was for non stop operation without any heat problems. I ordered an 80mm x 25mm x 150mm Aluminium Flat bar from a local supplier on Ebay. Some spare time at work with the Mill I shaped it and drilled a 12mm pilot first. Then I drilled it out to 20mm about half way thru. The Idea is I can use this block to mount a 20mm or a 12mm module. Drilled and tapped holes for two 3mm grub screws to lock the module in.

Next was the heatsink blocks. Ordered 4 35mm x 35mm x 15mm heatsinks from Ebay. Used thermal adhesive pads to stick them down. Then installed an 80mm axial fan to give air flow. Way over board I know. But hey, Lets keep it cool.

I needed to order a Hyperion LPM capable of measuring this massive Diode. I ordered the 20 Watt version. After some problems with the display in the Hyperion I had to replace it with one I bought locally..

I have no idea what current DTR has set this driver to. It seems to have a very high output. Assuming a brand new Hyperion is calibrated accurately.

Wearing safety glasses without my reading glasses on it was hard to read the blue display on the LPM. From what I could tell it was stable around 8300 most of the time. I let it run for about 60 seconds for the test. It's only a 6mm x 6mm sensor. I focused the beam to fit all of it on the sensor.

Have a look at my pics. The output seems to high. But this is what it measures.

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_213938.jpg
    IMG_20170513_213938.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20170513_213929.jpg
    IMG_20170513_213929.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20170513_213915.jpg
    IMG_20170513_213915.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20170513_213900.jpg
    IMG_20170513_213900.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20170513_213800.jpg
    IMG_20170513_213800.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

BobMc

Re: Nubm44

Nice looking build! With that heat sinking you've got some really long duty cycles, sweet. :). 8.4 watt does seem kinda high, you might want to get a second reading somewhere to confirm, but if so, one powerful build. :gj:

Last edited:

Nice looking build! With that heat sinking you've got some really long duty cycles, sweet. :). 8.4 watt does seem kinda high, you might want to get a second reading somewhere to confirm, but if so, one powerful build. :gj:

It is hard to believe it's hitting 8400 mW. About the only way i can check the calibration on the Hyperion is to put my M462 on it. I know it reads 2050 mW on my laserbee which sounds correct.

EDIT... I just put my M462 on the hyperion. It peaks at 2093 mW which is close to what the Laserbee shows.

Last edited:

BobMc

It is hard to believe it's hitting 8400 mW. About the only way i can check the calibration on the Hyperion is to put my M462 on it. I know it reads 2050 mW on my laserbee which sounds correct.

EDIT... I just put my M462 on the hyperion. It peaks at 2093 mW which is close to what the Laserbee shows.

Excellent, I've thought that the 044's could do better than 7 watts. Looks like you got a good one. If you can, some nighttime beam shots. Love to see some from that guy. Enjoy that puppie. :)

Excellent, I've thought that the 044's could do better than 7 watts. Looks like you got a good one. If you can, some nighttime beam shots. Love to see some from that guy. Enjoy that puppie. :)

I just did some quick research of laser diode output vs temperature. The temperature makes a bigger difference than I expected. Not specific to any diode but the trend shows up to 25% higher output by keeping the diode 25 C lower. Maybe 8400 mW is possible in this host. First a 20mm copper module then half a kilo of aluminium. The Diode temperature might be noticeably lower than a pointer build.

I live in a highly populated suburb so night shots are risky. Their is a football field near some industrial buildings near me. Their is a brick wall at one end of the field. I might be able to get away shooting it horizontal and not be seen by anyone. The other option is wait for my next astronomy meeting up the mountains. Low risk up their.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Good job Mosc, that baby is built like tank; just don't drop it on your foot! :cool:
You shouldn't have any temperature issues or limited duty cycles with that monster.
Be careful getting those beam shots, don't get in trouble shining it around your neighborhood.
:gj:

GSS

That's a monster:beer: It makes that copper 20mm look like a pea:)
Don't risk that baby getting nabbed by bringing it out:( This one time we can live without a nighttime beam shot..

It would be very risky with a nightime beam shot. I will wait until an opertunity with low risk comes up.

That beam would be so dam visible.

BobMc

I just did some quick research of laser diode output vs temperature. The temperature makes a bigger difference than I expected. Not specific to any diode but the trend shows up to 25% higher output by keeping the diode 25 C lower. Maybe 8400 mW is possible in this host. First a 20mm copper module then half a kilo of aluminium. The Diode temperature might be noticeably lower than a pointer build.

I live in a highly populated suburb so night shots are risky. Their is a football field near some industrial buildings near me. Their is a brick wall at one end of the field. I might be able to get away shooting it horizontal and not be seen by anyone. The other option is wait for my next astronomy meeting up the mountains. Low risk up their.

Do be careful with the beam shots. I live in the suburbs also so I know how it can be. Can wait till your next astronomy meeting, but it's going to be tough. :) Can only imagine how bright it will be.

Interesting about keeping the diode under 25c or lower, might have to look into a monster build like that myself. :)

Last edited:
Nice , congratulations , big fan to dissipate the heat and the structure is completely made of aluminum ?
Nubm44 6W 445nm,powered from a dc ?
A real beast of power with a maximum peak up to 7.2 ?

Nice , congratulations , big fan to dissipate the heat and the structure is completely made of aluminum ?
Nubm44 6W 445nm,powered from a dc ?
A real beast of power with a maximum peak up to 7.2 ?

Fully aluminium axcept the module which is a DTR 20mm copper. Test run from a 3 cell RC LiPo. According to the Hyperion peak was 8.4. Calibration checked against my Laserbee with a M462 around 2050 mW.

Fully aluminium axcept the module which is a DTR 20mm copper. Test run from a 3 cell RC LiPo. According to the Hyperion peak was 8.4. Calibration checked against my Laserbee with a M462 around 2050 mW.

Wow :drool: the alternative to a percussion drill to drill holes in the walls :)

You seem to be saying you are decreasing the temperature by 25 degress C.

Interesting about keeping the diode under 25c or lower, might have to look into a monster build like that myself. :)

Not, keeping the temperature at 25 degrees C. That is a very hot diode if you are getting an accurate reading on your LPM. You might want to consider adding a 6X cylindrical lens pair to shorten the larger diverging axis on this diode. Congratulations on a nice build.