Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My new 514nm greenie!

It's anything but portable, but I just got an argon laser today that I won on Ebay about a week ago that's putting out a nice, bright 514nm beam.  The laser is used, but new to me, and seems in excellent shape from what I can see so far.

There is a difference to the eye, almost as much as between an HeNe and and a 660nm diode laser, and being that it's green, it's quite bright to the eye.  The seller claimed it's putting out an average of 20mw and as high as 40mw, but having no meter (I do intend to get a power meter sometime this year so I will be able to check these things) I can't verify that for sure.  

It's a beautiful shade of jade-green, but not so apparent in photos (to the eye the color is a lot richer - looks kind of faded here), at least in these rather lousy shots I just took:
0dd.jpg

c25.jpg

Compared to 532nm green:
2e9.jpg

Though you can still sort of see the difference...I will be posting better pics of the beam later on, maybe this coming weekend as I can't do much in my garage not only because it's unheated, but because my roommate is moving out in a few days and the garage is full of her junk.

daguin

:eek: :eek:VERY NICE :eek: :eek:

I'm pleased it was someone on the forum that picked this up. I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on this one.

Peace,
dave

daguin

Rangedunits said:
This look like regular green

Different monitors will show the color differently.

This new laser above is the green line

Here's what they all look like in relation to each other.  The line going into the cube and across the other lines is what the multi-line looks like.  The most "blue" line (at the far right) is called the violet line.  The middle line is the best known 488nm line.  Schrecken's new laser is the green line (the farthest left)
new20.jpg

Hopefully Schrecken can get a better color comparison shot between the green pointer color and this laser's color so you can see it is different.

Peace,
dave

Benm

It will look like 'regular' green on almost any monitor really, the sRGB color space can't really reproduce any difference in hue for saturated colors between 520 and 560 nm or so. Any difference you see is more camera artifact (which can look good sometimes) than reality.

For actual color mixing to RGB the 'common' wavelengths of 635, 532 and 471 are a nearly ideal set. 635 can be anything longer as well, but it loses visibility versus power then.

Nice laser, great to see a different green than 532nm ! Good and interesting composition of the pics, definitely not lousy. Please post more of this laser sometime.

I have some better pics - no fog yet, but at least it's dark outside...

Here is one of my WL Core (top) and the argon - as said it's more noticeable with the naked eye than in photos:

4e8.jpg

Beam shot:
c07.jpg

And here's probably the best comparison:

357.jpg

b48.jpg

The 532 has a more "grassy" green and the argon is a perfect emerald green (yet the blue-greenish areas really don't look quite that blue, either - I think part of that is just the way the camera reads the over-exposed areas).  Hopefully if it's not too cold after my roommate has moved out I will get some nice fog shots with diffraction gratings and other effects.

Daguin, I almost didn't try for it either - but as the auction went on, it kept "calling" to me - I'm sure you know how that is - I couldn't resist!  ;D

Here's the closed auction link, BTW....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180321673493

daguin

I like these two
357.jpg

b48.jpg

It at least shows that they are different.

I thought about having this one along side my 458nm argon.  This auction had two major things going for it.  First was simply the 514nm laser.  But almost as tempting was the "turnkey" nature of the set up.  You are a good person to have this.  I'll get separate components eventually.  I only need the laser itself.  I have everything else.  That is the real reason I couldn't pull the trigger.  I don't need all the "stuff" that goes with it.

Beautiful!

Peace,
dave

P.S. What kind of crystal is that?

murrat

It looks less green than 532 :)
Can we call it light green!
But I am sure it has a cool color between 473 blue and 532 green :cool:

I've found beam shots work better. Here's a comparison I posted a while ago between 543 (HeNe) 514 (HGM waste beam) and 532 (DPSS)

Attachments

• DSCF0832.JPG
    DSCF0832.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 748