Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My New 3W Kryton Groove NDB7875 445nm Laser!

Nice Kryton buddy
I have one in my sig that I built also, not a bad host!

you should know if you purchase the BDR209 with the Nano boost-buck driver preset to 500ma from Jordan he offers warranty on the preset module and these drivers are the best choice for blueray diodes, I have 3 mini blueray builds all with the nano set to 500 and all going strong, good luck buddy!

I am going with the driver that jayrob is putting in the host for me. I don't think there is enough room in this tiny tiny host for the nano driver seeing as how its rectangular and the one jayrob is using is circular, i think its a flexdrive. I never understood the difference between flexdrive and nanodrive though

Last edited:

Cool bro
If he's using a Flexdrive the Nano is same size but that's all fine,
Just thought I would mention so you know!

HydroSean, I actually think you'll be fine in the Kryton host. Especially in an all-metal host the threads can transfer the heat well enough for the whole thing to conduct heat, and the 24mm diameter Silver Series host I have takes 3Ws of 445nm waste heat pretty well, I can run it for about a minute before it gets warm and usually turn it off after about a minute and a half or two mins sometimes.

HydroSean, I actually think you'll be fine in the Kryton host. Especially in an all-metal host the threads can transfer the heat well enough for the whole thing to conduct heat, and the 24mm diameter Silver Series host I have takes 3Ws of 445nm waste heat pretty well, I can run it for about a minute before it gets warm and usually turn it off after about a minute and a half or two mins sometimes.

We were talking about putting a BDR-209 in a 12mm module in a small heatsink in the chrome pocket mini from jayrob set at 600 mA

Sta

Sean, it can do perfectly well at 500mA. Mine was able to pop 53 balloons easily and make a viral video, before it was (literally) blown up in a terrible accident. :beer:

We were talking about putting a BDR-209 in a 12mm module in a small heatsink in the chrome pocket mini from jayrob set at 600 mA

Oh I didn't see that, thought you were referring to the Kryton. I'd say give it a shot though, pocket builds are really fun I've just finished a couple pocket size hosts out of CF and brass. :D

260zgpz.jpg

Second one still has some final touches to do but that one's 2x10440 apposed to the one above which is just one 10440.

Sean, it can do perfectly well at 500mA. Mine was able to pop 53 balloons easily and make a viral video, before it was (literally) blown up in a terrible accident. :beer:
It was blown up or it blew up? What happened? Sounds metal as f
Oh I didn't see that, thought you were referring to the Kryton. I'd say give it a shot though, pocket builds are really fun I've just finished a couple pocket size hosts out of CF and brass. :D

260zgpz.jpg

Second one still has some final touches to do but that one's 2x10440 apposed to the one above which is just one 10440.

That's what I'm saying! Its definitely worth a shot and it is really fun to make different lasers :D

Nice, I like a compact 405 too and DTR sets his module/diode/driver up where they work well.
The driver also has a ramp up cap of I'm not mistaken.

Nice, I like a compact 405 too and DTR sets his module/diode/driver up where they work well.
The driver also has a ramp up cap of I'm not mistaken.

Yeah but I went with the driver "hot" option that jayrob makes :p

Hi Sean nice pics :)

Did you go for the copper heat sink option? If you did it will help a lot with the run time, provided you use enough quality thermal paste between the interfaces. Most thermal pastes are around 7 - 10 Wm-1K-1 and although better than air, they still limit heat transfer. So if you want to improve the overall heat sinking and run time, you could try using indium foil instead. I also prefer to look after my diodes and stick to shorter run times - generally if I feel the head of the host starting to get too warm I switch it off and let it cool. With this host and good heat sinking I would think you should be able to get a 30 second on time, just remember to let it cool properly between runs. As Paul mentioned the 405 diodes are the most sensitive and react badly to current spikes and heat, often dying with no apparent reason.

With regard to the driver will you be getting the V3, which appears to be round, or the V5, which was the rectangular buck/boost from Dr. Lava? I have never used the v3, but the V5 is a very good driver. You use one battery for boost, if you are using a diode with a higher Vf than the cell, or 2 batteries for buck mode, if the diode has a lower Vf than the two cells. In this build it looks like you'll need 1 x 16340 to run in boost mode with the V5.

Alternative drivers which would also work are the micro boost, which Jayrob also mentions, and the mini X-boost from laserer. To be honest I have a preference for the X-drives as they have an exceptionally stable output and essentially no spikes on startup, they also have a gentle ramp up to the desired current. I also have a SO6J build in a Sinner V1, with X-boost, which I built back at the start of 2013. It gave 800 mW with a G2 and is still going strong.:)

Good luck with the new build and if you need any help feel free to shoot me a PM.:beer:

Last edited:
Yes I got the copper heatsink upgrade with the kit and the hot option, jayrob didn't tell me which driver it would be but I'll take my chances :p I do have thermal paste as well too so I'm not too worried about it popping

Koff

My 405nm at 520mA lighted a match at 20 meters. So it should pop balloons easily over 20 meters.
Watch this video. Not mine but it's cool.

^Look how easy and it's only 500mw

Last edited:

Sta

Yeah I love that balloon popping video haha

grainde,
Its a flexdrive btw

<plug>
My own balloon popping video:

It will be on TV on a show called "What Went Down" on October 29 and 30. :D

</plug>

Last edited: