Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My introduction, hey all!

Laser_Spyro

Hello, I sorta wish to keep my actual name anonymous due to some privacy attacks I have experienced before, so my apologies if that is inconvenient.
Anyways, I’ve been huge into lasers ever since I was 16. I’m 18 years old now, I’ve been studying safety of laser operations and the basics for about 2 years. I love experimenting with things like high voltage as well (I’m building a Tesla Coil that is driven by a valve / tube and makes huge sparks that are safe to touch). I was inspired to get into the laser hobby by StyroPyro, a Youtuber who has been in the field for a long time as well (more than 5 years if I’m not mistaken).

I once had a really nice set of high power handheld lasers (one was blue, one was green, and one was a stunning red colour, I loved to get a prism and some lenses and join the beams to make an incredible white laser beam). Unfortunately, since I live in a military family, we move a lot... and when we move, things get lost. My set of nice lasers sadly fell victim to a move, and I couldn’t find them after that.

I’m hoping to get a collection going again, as I do miss the awesome experiments I could perform with the lasers. I’m planning on actually buying a few kits from eBay (despite how dubious the legitimacy of the seller listings can be). And of course, I’ll make sure to get a pair of REAL laser safety glasses with them (and not use the ones that come in the kits).
Anyway, hope you enjoyed this little intro. I look forward to hopefully rekindling my hobby. :D
image.jpg

Laser_Spyro

Welcome!
Find it a bit odd your willing to show your face but not your name. Regardless I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful info here on LPF.
It’s difficult to track someone solely based on their face. With a name though, you could look up a whole lot of personal information about someone.

Thanks for the welcome though! :)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF, Laser_Spyro! :)

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay.

Welcome to the LPF. We only use first names here. It is fairly difficult to troll someone with only a first name to go by. Anyhow, enjoy your stay and stay safe.

Coonie

These welcome threads are NOT mandatory, so if you feel pressured into making them you have the right not to. However it is a potentially dangerous hobby so we need to be careful to whom we help out. We generally believe that anyone under 18-20 should not handle anything beyond 5mw.
Happy lasing!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Laser_Spyro. Enjoy your stay!
Check out Survival Lasers for laser goggles. Use LPF445 for a member discount too.

Coonie, welcome posts are not an obligation to be on here. However it is etiquette to introduce yourself. As for the age. Not sure where you got 18-20 from. 18+ is the accepted, however I myself started earlier than that and so did many others on here. It is the attitude and maturity of the individual that says whether they are capable or not. I know plenty of adults out there that shouldn't go anywhere near a laser pointer. I agree on the power aspect however, at least if its their first laser.

Last edited:
welcome--
most here wish they were your age because you can choose a career in 'Photonics' a huge field which has lasers as one (small)part. So you have many options. There is a trade mag on photnics. (PhotonicsSpectra google that)
There is a HUGE publication (directory) each year the shows the thousands of companies world wide.
Nearly all of them are hiring and it is cross referenced... so say you would like to work someplace and want to find a biz there that is hiring.
Or search by what each does or makes.
'The world is your apple'-- best wishes from us.
Its not work if you love what you do.
len