Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

My Goggles from Jetlasers Melted

CurtisOliver

For the sake of your safety I sacrificed the edge of a cheap pair of goggles for you.
Do not use your goggles, get some new ones.

I used a 4W+ 465nm. I did it long enough to make a mark similar to yours, but didn't allow it time to burn through.

Then I shone a simple ~50mW 532nm through them and took a picture from the wearers side.
Through the unaffected part of the goggles:

And now where the damage has occurred:

The dot was noticeably brighter in person and the diffusion was much higher as seen in the picture.

Now imagine this right where your field of view is.

Last edited:

iAurora

Thanks a lot, Curtis.
I also own a cheap goggle like you posted in the pics, i will probably use it for a while.

CurtisOliver

You’re welcome. Be careful using the cheap pair as well as they aren’t the best. I would definitely recommend getting another pair of decent goggles still.

Cyparagon

It's like if you were to ask "Hey guys, I wanted to test this pair of shop safety classes. So I gouged at them with my angle grinder. There's a big gash taken out of the front. Can I still use them?"

I mean, you could, but your safety is reduced.

hakzaw1

I am a bit afraid to ask what you will be testing next??
foolish move... You lack 'safety sense' it is a little voice inside our heads that says...' dont DO that.'

.you could place a tiny bit of black tape and cover just the spot. (or a drop of black E6000..OK to use until you buy new.. you know cheapies are about 3-4 $usd on FeeBay China.
but no brand name, no OD, no nm range coverage..you got some great advice-- read and heed. hakXXXXXXXXXX______________
btw Curtis..the screw holding your right side earpiece is about to fall out

Last edited:

hakzaw1

haa ha
here is a quote from newguy BobDias
just above his sig...
''Laser Safety Glasses are an intelligence test. Stupid people who don't use them flunk the test and go blind. ;) "

ouch !
- I say no more..

hakzaw1

DR. said 'use the cart in stores'.. especially if you are already going to do some walking.

I see a lot stock out of place.. sometimes its meat in the dairy case or next to the peanut butter.
I used to give it to the meat people but I know they either take it home or throw it out..(if it is cold I put it back)
I report 'clean=up in Aisle 4' to any employee.. some people are really pigs. I see stashes of leftovers and food containers..gasless whip cream cans!!(HEHEHAHA) candy wrappers too. we ALL pay for that..