Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My first official host build w/pics

Hey everyone, thought i would share some pics of my first host build, very proud of it. At the moment, i am waiting for a micro flex drive to arrive so i can run my 18650 in it (i forgot about the voltage requirements for the rkcstr driver :eek:). but since i am installing the flex driver, does any one happen to know the specs on the diode? i could contact Kendall and see if he knows, i was thinking of maybe bumping it up to around 500mA, still a bit weary on that one though.

all parts were purchased through High Tech Dealz
445nm 440mA with set rkcstr driver
MXDL 3405 housing
alloy heat sinc
405-G1 lens with teflon tape
modified on/off button to fit GITD dust cap as the button ;)
GITD dust cap for lens cover
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal compound (yes im a computer nerd too lol)
and soon to also add
my TrustFire 2400mAh 18650
Micro flex Drive V5-Thanks to Andrew Kibler

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

those of you wondering what those purple squiggles are, that is what happens when you shine a 400mW laser into a digital camera lens.:cryyy:

EDIT: the diode is from a XJ-A130 according to Kendall. so the new driver should make things interesting.

Enjoy the pics!
Rick.

Attachments

• 20101020_002.jpg
    20101020_002.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 857
  • 20101020_003.jpg
    20101020_003.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 871
  • 20101025_002.jpg
    20101025_002.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 843
  • 20101025_005.jpg
    20101025_005.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 864
  • 20101025_006.jpg
    20101025_006.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 868
  • 20101025_007.jpg
    20101025_007.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:

Congrats, nice build. I guess the first pic was taken before damaging your camera CCD.

Congrats, nice build. I guess the first pic was taken before damaging your camera CCD.

Hey thanks, lmao yeh, i should have un-focused it, i was thinking, yeh im gonna get a cool shot of the beam going into the lens, that usually looks cool. DOH! worst thing was, is it is my 3 week old Nokia n900. lol well i hardly use the camera anyways.:whistle: nothing a bit of photoshop cant fix if need be.

i should also have my new green dpss module soon to replace my burnt out one in my pen, my two fav colors, green and blue lol

You really didn't know shining a beam that powerful would damage the camera's sensor?

You really didn't know shining a beam that powerful would damage the camera's sensor?

lol if i had un focused the laser it would have been fine. but its just the lens cover that is burnt not the actual cmos sensor.

lol if i had un focused the laser it would have been fine. but its just the lens cover that is burnt not the actual cmos sensor.

Even a unfocused beam can cause CCD Damage. Just for future reference dont do it.

Also nice build.:D

kobi g

Nice build man,
I'm building the same but with flexdrive set to 1450mA to get around 1.5W

Nice build man,
I'm building the same but with flexdrive set to 1450mA to get around 1.5W

damn that will be insane. yeh thats what im waiting for is the flex drive V5, so i will be deciding how hard to push it. i would also look for a copper heat sinc, i couldnt get one, but running that high will need to be cool and short power on cycles, unless you dont mind buying diodes on a regular basis? lol

kobi g

Don't forget to give the Flexdrive a heatsink of it own so it won't get hot,
and give you non stop working without need to cool down.
Use even the cool idea that DTR gave here - the silver doller :)
i'm using it also

Don't forget to give the Flexdrive a heatsink of it own so it won't get hot,
and give you non stop working without need to cool down.
Use even the cool idea that DTR gave here - the silver doller :)
i'm using it also

hey thanks for that bit of info, i checked out DTR's thread on that $1 heat sinc, looks like a good idea. but as im using an Aixiz module, i wonder if i can mount something on it to fit in the module still? hmmm. the flex still hasnt arrived, hopefully next week it should be here....eagerly awaiting my new project. :beer:

kobi g

hey thanks for that bit of info, i checked out DTR's thread on that $1 heat sinc, looks like a good idea. but as im using an Aixiz module, i wonder if i can mount something on it to fit in the module still? hmmm. the flex still hasnt arrived, hopefully next week it should be here....eagerly awaiting my new project. :beer:

If you'r using the MXDL as a host you have lot's of space inside even with the AixiZ module, So you can use the silver doller as a heatsink.
(by the way I think you even can use 1 pound coin, it's even thicker then the silver doller and smaller in diamater.

If you'r using the MXDL as a host you have lot's of space inside even with the AixiZ module, So you can use the silver doller as a heatsink.
(by the way I think you even can use 1 pound coin, it's even thicker then the silver doller and smaller in diamater.

lol im not sure what a 1 pound coin looks like, it sounds heavy. im in Australia, so we have 5,10,20 and 50cent coins (which i think are some sort of tin i assume?), and 1,2 dollar coins (which i think the $1 coin here would be better, its got a larger surface area and i think is made of brass or something)

otherwise, because im a computer nerd, i also have a large collection of various shapes and sized heat sincs collected over the years out of old computers, i could grind one at work on the bench grinder to suit i guess.

do you happen to know what the hottest part of the micro flex drive v5 is? usually there is a transistor or a mosfet chip that generates the most heat, but i have not seen the flex v5 before.

thanks again,
Rick.

I am wondering if a really powerful IR laser could damage a camera if unfocused to the point that it wont hurt any ones eyes but will damage the camera

you know as in stop paparazzi or other people spying on you without sending out a really bright beam of visible light - yea the camera should pick it up but only for a second if it works like it should

I am wondering if a really powerful IR laser could damage a camera if unfocused to the point that it wont hurt any ones eyes but will damage the camera

you know as in stop paparazzi or other people spying on you without sending out a really bright beam of visible light - yea the camera should pick it up but only for a second if it works like it should

yeh maybe an unfocused 808nm diode, but i imagine it will only work against digital cameras.

are you being harassed by cameras? lol

how far is safe to push a V5 flexdrive?

hmmm how many grains of rice do u get in a packet? lol.

i think it mainly matters about the diodes maximum input, then u must take into factor heat dissipation, battery current draw ect. of course if you run ANYTHING at its maximum 24/7 expect reduced life span, that goes especially for the diode and of course the driver itself (which should have some form of heatsinc if running above 1W) hopefully my flex V5 will be here next week for me to make a new toy to play with....i have been waiting so patiently.

how hard are you pushing your V5?

Rick.