Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First IR Build

jbtm

Hopefully you guys find a solution to these Multimode diodes (the 1W and 2W C-Mount) diodes! Seems rather difficult to even get these to show a dot at all without all the lines due to the multiple lasers. Once a solution is found (hopefully) is someone going to offer fabricating multiple modules for us? :D

rev0

Same here, I've been keeping my eye on this thread/forum, but seems like there hasn't been much change. I've got one of those Ebay 1W 9mm diodes in an O-like module, and last night I tried renno's "2 aixiz lenses" technique, don't think it changed much and the focal point is way too close to the laser. I bought this diode before I did my research, I was hoping it would focus down to a tiny point so I could use it for laser cutting holes/shapes in black paper/cardstock or plastic.

I just thought I'd share this, since we all know that a 532nm laser is really an 808nm filtered to hell. Found this a few minutes ago:

Green Module dissected

Can't help but wonder if any of the lens in a green module would do anything to this 808....

HIMNL9

I just thought I'd share this, since we all know that a 532nm laser is really an 808nm filtered to hell. Found this a few minutes ago:

Green Module dissected

Can't help but wonder if any of the lens in a green module would do anything to this 808....

Ehm, sorry, the green module is not an 808nm diode "filtered to hell", as you say, is a nonlinear conversion system .....

In very poor words ..... the 808nm light pass first through a crystal that change its frequency, turning it from 808nm to 1064nm ..... then through a second crystal that double this frequency, turning it from 1064nm to 532nm ..... with a total efficency that can go from 10 to 25%, depending from quality and alignment of all .....

I was using the term "filtered" very loosely there- I do understand the concept behind how the 532 works. I just figured everyone here knew how they worked, and didn't feel the need to expand on the process. Just thought the pictures of the laser getting pulled apart were pretty nice, as I don't feel like wasting money to rip one apart...

rev0

I just killed my 1W 808nm laser diode. De-canned it afterwards, I'll get pictures in a few days, I'm pretty sure I vaporized the bond wires. I put a big capacitor on my DDL driver, not thinking, then plugged the laser in (after the capacitor had charged to full voltage of course, since the driver saw no load). Ah well, I didn't really want to deal with the optics side of this build anyways, visible lasers from now on for me.

ReNNo

That is why I never use capacitor for testing 1W IR diodes :D Many things can go wrong.
And these IR diodes are really resistant to spike voltages.

Latest update:
My father in law had a 5mW 532nm pen. He was complaining that it didn't work anymore, thought that the diode had burnt out. I took it, and after looking at it, figured something out- Used my camera phone, looked down into it, and sure enough- it was on, but IR. So i took it apart, reattached the optics that were loose, and voila, it worked again.
Whoopdee, what does that have to do with this?
Simple-
While poking around inside the green module, I noticed something very nice- the module was actually using a 9mm standard (TC) diode!!! :evil::evil:
So.... I'm going to replace said diode with mine, remove the crystals that change the frequencies, and see what happens.

I'll keep everyone updated. If it does work, I'll ask him where he got this particular pen, and let you guys know.

ReNNo

You want to make IR laser pointer out of green module?
If you want to do it, it would be very inefficient.
Why?
Because green laser pointers use longer FL lens, that means less light out of module.
If you remove crystal and diffuser, and use shorter FL lens it would be fine.

I always do some correction with optics when I buy cheap green modules.
Most of them work in "no TEM00" mode and I always have to pull out crystal, put it back, adjust and glue again.
In most cases I get better power.

rev0

Got around to uploading my pictures, here's the de-canned 9mm 1W 808nm laser for those who are curious:

3005qaw.jpg

111hzz5.jpg

First two pictures were taken with a 450D and 60mm macro, second two were taken with the 55-250mm zoomed in and the 18-55mm kit lens reversed and taped onto the end.

Nice job, great photos. Actually helped answer a question for me- That green module I pulled apart actually had a smaller diode in it, so I was thinking about grinding down the outer part of the diode to make it fit, may have to de-can it. What's the best way to de-can?

rev0

Nice job, great photos. Actually helped answer a question for me- That green module I pulled apart actually had a smaller diode in it, so I was thinking about grinding down the outer part of the diode to make it fit, may have to de-can it. What's the best way to de-can?

There may be a better way, but the way I did it was put the diode in a vise, and filed away at the bottom of the can with a half-round file. When it was thin enough/broken through mostly I pulled it off.

ReNNo

@rev0
These pictures are great, only bad thing is that diode is dead :) , amazing photos.

@Parabola949
Use tomato knife, or other similar knife, make about 10 cuts to make can thinner, and break can.