Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My First Build !!!! The Newfie Rednecker!

ru124t

Ok guys,
I am really excited to put my first build on here ! I wanted to show how a noob with little building knowledge and a lot of using the custom search bar, could indeed make a working laser! Even though this is a plug and burn kit , I know it will give me the confidence to tackle bigger and more complex tasks down the road. I also made a few noob mistakes doing this but it all turned out for the good in the end. Without further ado, I give thee , The Newfie Rednecker !
First up, required parts. I bought a Mrcrouse Ultrafire 903 plug and burn kit with custom knurled focus knob. Seeing how this was going to be my first try at this, I did not want to ruin an expensive host. However, This host is really solid and feels heavy in the hand.The leads were attached and the heatsink is a heavy aluminum one. I would like to thank Mrcrouse himself for his patience because I asked a lot of questions and he is truly a professional.
Next I opted for a cheaper diode and driver combo from the master himself,DTR .I choose the single mode 300mw 650nm with flexdrive as per his suggestion, and it arrived in a timely and safe manner. Again, he answered a lot of noob questions, and again I appreciated all the help.
Last you will need the following, heatshrink tubing, heatsink cooling paste or arctic silver compound, solder , soldering iron and wire cutter or knife. I also forgot to mention that you should also be wearing anti-static wristband to protect your diode!

Paste goes on the diode housing to ensure good heat transfer!

As you can see by the next picture, all you have to do is join the wires and heatshrink the joins. THis being my first build, I made a couple of rookie mistakes and I sure hope others will learn from them. Before I did anything, I put thermal paste on the diode housing and put it in the heatsink BEFORE I soldered the wires together. I also put the knurled focus knob on before that cause I wanted to see how cool it was going to look. Well as I soldered the wires together and stood back to admire my handiwork, I realized I had the diode in the wrong way and I had already applied the thermal grease.I had to take knurled knob off, had to carefully make sure not to get thermal compound in the diode itself! LOL Also, it is a lot easier to solder the wires together when the diode is not in the heavy aluminum heat sink. Anyway I wiped off the paste and put it together the correct way. It would have taken 5 minutes, maybe 10, to do this instead of the 30 mintes because of the mistakes. I also had to solder the wires together twice because I never took into consideration that they would have to be shortened up some to fit inside the host. Another thing to consider if this is your first time soldering, get yourself some small wire and practice putting them together. I have had a little bit of practice back in the day when we used to put modchips in the PS1 so they could play burned games, but I guess you young'uns probably wouldn't remember that! LOL

The above picture is the photo of the heatsink put together backwards with thermal compound applied and knurled knob already put on. Learn from my mistakes, don't rush and do things the hard way!

Here she is, my new baby , The Newfie Rednecker ! I will add beam shots when I can! This also was the first time I used my new camera, so please forgive the garbage pictures. My laser lpm's at around 260 mw with not so good batteries. I will try it later with the good ones!
In closing I would like to thank all the members who have helped me in my short time here and have given me the confidence to pursue building lasers. I could not have done this without you! I would list you all but I know I would forget someone and that would not be fair.
Next up, I have the RGB kit coming from DTR ! Stay tuned for more noob building lasers!

Nice build! That's how I got started, lots of research followed by lots of ordering. That's also the same diode as my first two, which I discovered is awesome at particle trapping. Check link in my sig if you want to see how to use your new baby for more that burning.

ru124t

It was a great spring day here and I thought I would get the weather to do a beamshot tonight. However, it started to snow so I gave up! Soon we will have beam shot! lol

IWIRE

That's cool ! Great build and thanks for the pics ! Keep up the great work.

Well done on the first build, bet it felt REALLY GOOD when you switched that sucker on and it worked!? Some + rep coming your way. Of course once the beam shots are posted:na:

Tmack

Congratulations! Blair has become a good friend and a great member.
Now that you have successfully built your first, you'll be chasing that high. The lasers will only get more complex from here on out :D

+rep(must spread rep....)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice job on your first build, not too redneck at all! :D
Looking forward to your upcoming builds. Now that you're hooked, you must continue to feed your addiction! ;)
:gj: +1

Last edited:
Sweet first build!!!! Keep up the good work. What are your plans for the DTR RGB kit??

ru124t

I have some hosts already for the RGB build. I will have 2 c11 side clicky hosts, a 501b kit and I also ordered either a zero laser chunk or 2x18650 host with the RGB kit. I cant remember what host I ordered! LMAO Anyways, I have lots to choose from! I probably will be on here asking which way the batteries will go in these as well! I am off this weekend so beam shots will be ready lol ! Thanks everyone for the kind words, it is really encouraging! I will try and put beamshots on here this evening!!!!

ru124t

Ok guys, I could not get good pics yet with the new camera but here are some dot shots and eventually I will figure out how to photograph beam. If I still smoked this would be a cake walk! lol

My Dot taken with 30x zoom I guess acrylic does make it ohh so round! I guess this is what a kryptonian sun looks like! lol

Dot at 20 feet

First ever attempt at beam shot and a horrific fail! LOL I will eventually read the manual for this camera!

ANyways this should get better this weekend I hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: