Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My experience with Blord's 3W Dominator (and a surreal repair)

About a week ago I ordered a 3W Dominator from Blord, which arrived yesterday. The first things I noticed were how heavy it is, and how the focussing ring at the front appeared to be much better coupled than the focussing element of the 1W laser I had bought last year (I could notice no backlash as I moved). Another thing I noticed was a small magnet between the batteries, to improve the stability of the contact.
After asking and getting information about the correct way to charge the batteries (one at a time), I charged them, and then I tried the laser. That's when I had a bad surprise: the rubber cover of the tailcap switch came off as soon as I touched it, and the switch itself didn't work so well (the presence or absence of a contact was spurious and depended on how I moved it around; the switch itself rattled).

Fast-forward to today, when I decided to fix the switch. My plan was to drill two holes through it, pass two wires through the holes, solder them to the central and peripheral contacts, and solder another switch at the other end, bypassing the faulty switch completely.
So I started drilling the first hole, but before I could complete it, the drill bit broke off into the switch. After the obligatory cussing, I noticed a curious thing: the switch felt more stable and did not rattle anymore. I thought: "Could it be?" and tried the switch with a tester.
By an AMAZING coincidence, the broken drill bit has fixed the switch! :D

Now I tried the laser, and it works! The divergence is comparable to my OdicForce 1W, and I could see how much faster it burns where it's focussed!

Last edited:

Cel

Well, at least you can take pics of the beam now...

Update: the drill bit came out of the end cap and now it's broken again.

Update #2: Blord sent me a video on how to assemble the end cap, I followed it and now the end cap is fixed again. Pics coming soon...

Update #3: PICS!

The battery charger, the laser and the batteries, on an A4 sheet of paper. The small circular thing between the batteries is the magnet that is supposed to be inserted between them to facilitate the contact.
9icm5k.jpg

Group shot of all my lasers: the new style dilda from O-Like, the 1W from OdicForce, the Dominator from Blord.
sxd75w.jpg

Blord also sent me these goggles along with the laser. They are completely unmarked and they are actually red (not orange like this photo makes them look like). I have no idea what wavelength(s) they filter, what optical density they are or what company made them.
24cibyt.jpg

Daytime beam shot.
mj46f9.jpg

Daytime beam shot, closer.
5zksc1.jpg

Burn test on a door of my wardrobe, before...
jubw49.jpg

...and after.
ifobhj.jpg

Last edited:

Tmack

My dominator just died.
2.6a was putting out 3.6w. Kinda pushing it if you ask me.
And I was told everything in a dominator was pressed, even in the aluminum ones, but nothing in mine was. All set screw.

Tmack

I always push my module a bit out the front and butter it up. But I bought the dominator before I ever built anything, so it was my pride monster. I had no idea it was push so hard

Blord

@Tmack: I am sorry that the Dominator laser has failed. I can fixed that if you want.
If you sent me the head of the laser back I will replace the diode for a new 9mm 445nm diode with an guaranteed output of 3Watt.
The price is $65 for this replacement and shipping back. I can also change the driver to a multimode driver. The drivers back then have one fixed output but the current batch Dominators have different outputs now.
You can enjoy the new laser again. :)

Last edited:

Tmack

Oh its OK blord. I actually put a nice 405nm in there and sold it.
Wonderful customer service though. Much appreciated.