Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My Big Fat Ugly Red. . . (big pics)

I decided to post this one to show what you can kludge together with little money, no appropriate tools, and no patience :)

My Big Fat Ugly Red started out with some .875" copper round stock I bought off the 'Bay. I used a 3/4" repair coupling and some machine bushings to bore a not-too-off-center hole for the Aixiz module (very tight press fit. I used a 2 foot cheater pipe on the vise handle!) I soldered on a pipe fitting (not sure what size,) and ground out the threads to mount it on a Fenix L2D body. I drilled and tapped it for a set screw to keep everything together. The positive contact is a piece of copper pipe that I hammered flat, isolated by a bit of plastic from a Skoal can. The Big Fat Ugly Red uses a Rkcstr driver set at a conservative 415 ma, two protected 14500 batteries, and an LPC-815 LOC diode with an Aixiz glass lens in front of it. I can run it for quite a long time before it starts to get warm, about three minutes. Provided are pictures of the build, with some bathroom beam shots (smoke added.)

Enjoy :)

DSCF1538.jpg

DSCF1540.jpg

DSCF1543.jpg

DSCF1544.jpg

DSCF1542.jpg

DSCF1551-1.jpg

DSCF1550.jpg

DSCF1549.jpg

Big, Fat and ugly ??? No. That's where many of us started or worse. You have done a good job finding hardware parts to fit. That's how I do it !!!!
Don't stop now. Your next one will be a real winner but at least you can say, "I built it" !!!

Congrats to a new builder.

HMike

Big, Fat and ugly ??? No. That's where many of us started or worse. You have done a good job finding hardware parts to fit. That's how I do it !!!!
Don't stop now. Your next one will be a real winner but at least you can say, "I built it" !!!

Congrats to a new builder.

HMike

Listen to this man, he speaks wise words!!

Don't forget to take a towel! Er... to use glasses!

508.jpg

Nice job:)
I like how that massive copper heatsink is exposed like that. It's kinda got that SteamPunk look going on.
steampunk-3.jpg

without having a lathe one must do what one must do... I would say keep going on this idea. Have a look at my pics;) on my profile page it might give you some ideas.

PM me if after that you think I could help. It would be my pleasure. Thumbs up on the build BTW!