Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My another IR portable build (1W, 1x18650)

ReNNo

All powerful 808nm diodes are in 9mm package.
Yes, that diode looks pretty the same as mine.

ReNNo

I was thinking about powerful diodes that are useful in high-power portable builds.
It's much easier to make portable laser with 9mm diode and 4USD module than to make custom modules to fit C-Mount.

You are right, cmount is the most common package for high power diodes.

alf638

Great laser, how did you connect the led to the battery? I've wanted a 1W IR since I started in the hobby. In fact my first diode was an ebay 1W IR but at that stage I was'nt even on the forum and knew nothing. I connected it to 6V and 4.5A *cringe* But hopefully in the future i'll get another one and just once again great laser +rep.

ReNNo

Sorry, I don't have mouse to make precision drawings, but it should look something like this:

9881ux.png

ReNNo

I did many tests and two plastic lenses give the best output power.
And I never noticed any damage to any of lenses.

Two plastic lenses collect more light than one (or two) glass lenses because FL of plastic lenses are a bit shorter than FL of glass lenses.

So, if you need to burn something on short distances (1.5cm) then use two plastic lenses to get better output power, and if you need to burn something on a bit longer distanced then use one glass lens.

alf638

Sorry, I don't have mouse to make precision drawings, but it should look something like this:

9881ux.png

Thanks, i.ve been planning to make a hand held IR for a while and you've gotten me one step closer.:yh:

alf638

9881ux.png

Thanks, i've been planning a hand held IR for a while and you've gotten me one step closer.:yh:

808nm is hardly absorbed by any material other than black. 445/405nm is absorbed by nearly anything, and the plastic lens absorbs the light, gains heat, and melts with those

well, i built the laser from the same parts listed above... worked at first however, within 10 minutes of very sparing use, the output was only a very faint IR ( as viewed from a camera) :( what could I have done wrong? also, it seems my seller sent me two 9mm diodes... one was the one i used with only 2 pins (one was connected to the case) but the second diode has 3 pins, with one connected to case and then 2 more through holes in the case. any clue what the strength of this diode is and how to connect it?