Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my 5W RRGBB projector

Laser projectors are where it's at IMHO.. I never tire of watching mine, and the DIY aspect is highly engaging. Flecom's rig is pretty awe-inspiring and hopefully it will inspire new people to get into DIY show lasers. If you look around here in the laser shows section and over on PL you can find everything you need to know about building them fairly easily. Getting all those colors is actually a lot simpler than it looks..

Last edited:
That is just awesome! I would love to build one, I might have to sell some of my toys and try. I have had lasers for about 15 years and still have my first, but I am a noob to diy lasers. Seeing that projector really makes me want to try. :drool: :thanks: :beer:

As a friend of mine would say; That's just neeter than a skeeters peter!

Last edited:
I've been thinking of putting some galvos in a WFTM and putting a plug on the back so it all can be controled with your laptop :D
http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/white-fusion-colors-48217.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/wftm-445-a-52262.html

I'm still probably going to contact you eventually about making a hand held RGB spiro tho when I get some $$$ back in the bank lol... those things are awesome :D

"is that a laser projector in your pocket or are you happy to see me? :whistle:

Yeah, I'd like to build one too, but I don't have 3K to blow on lasers. If I had that kind of $$$$ right now I'd go out and get a nice studebaker.

I'm in for about $2500-$3000 total for ALL of my laser-related gear. ALL of it. That's 4 complete laser projectors (1W RGB, 1W 532nm, 2X150mW 532nm) with soundcard DAC and Pangolin FB3, 6-7 other assorted DPSS lab modules (532nm, 473nm), a multi-line JDSU Argon, many self-made direct diode modules and portables.. and the list goes on..

Don't let your notions of cost scare you.. there are lots of other ways to accumulate gear, sometimes you find sweet deals and trades. More than a monetary investment, it can be a time investment and it doesn't hurt to keep a keen eye everywhere lasers are bought, sold or bartered e.g. BST here and on PL, ebay, etc.. The longer you're in the hobby the more stuff you end up with.. and more knowledge so that you can do more with less.

I can show you where you can get a set of galvos for ~$120 shipped, you can build a POWERFUL blue laser for cheap as you already know, and you can build a nice dual-red LOC diode module for around $200-300 or less. You can get 100-200mW green lasers fairly cheaply from several sources.. you see where I'm going.

Last edited:
Yes. I would just have to figure out what I need and just accumlate it over time so it's a gradual investment and not all at once. I am a pack rat I bring home stuff from work constntly and have other projects that I am waiting to find parts for. So a projector could be anther project. I am currently laid up due to a broken ankle so my funds a currently a little thin.
Where is the best place to find a list of parts and pieces that I would need?

aXit

Now all you need is some 510nm, and your gamut will be complete. :p 510 cuts of that bluish green corner.

But seriously, nice projector, and great pics.

Where is the best place to find a list of parts and pieces that I would need?

Look over the stickies in the "Laser Shows" section here, and check out photonlexicon.com. If you immerse yourself in these places for awhile and read as much as you can you'll get the idea before long.

Look over the stickies in the "Laser Shows" section here, and check out photonlexicon.com. If you immerse yourself in these places for awhile and read as much as you can you'll get the idea before long.

I have been doing some looking and reading, then I come back to this thread and drool over the pis and the vid. I figure if I can build computers, r.c. helicopters and trucks (not to mention hot rods) I can build a projector.(I hope):D

flecom

I can show you where you can get a set of galvos for ~$120 shipped, you can build a POWERFUL blue laser for cheap as you already know, and you can build a nice dual-red LOC diode module for around $200-300 or less. You can get 100-200mW green lasers fairly cheaply from several sources.. you see where I'm going.

Ya I cannot believe how cheap its become to build a pretty nice RGB rig...

like you said, you can pick up scanners for <$150 now...

blue? ya, Casio fixed that one for everyone pretty much... build yourself a decent analog modulated 445nm module for what, like $200? (thats about what mine cost me... $150 o-like module, $37~? for the flexmod)

red, LOC's give you a nice deep red with a tight beam

green, you can get that 100+mW analog modulated module for what, $125 shipped?

so for like $600~ or so in lasers and scanners you could build what would be a really nice RGB rig

buy a FB3 from pangolin for another $600, your $1200 in and doing professional looking shows...

when I think of how much I have spent on lasers (both in the past and recently) and how much I spent on my QM setup... I cry a little lol

lets do the math...

2x 660nm CNI lasers... $450/ea = $900 (got a great deal on PL)
550mW 642nm LaserWave is a loaner (getting replaced with a 1.2W KVant, that cost me $2800)
532nm LaserWave $1111 (got lucky on a lasershowparts $0.99 auction)
473nm LaserWave ~$3000 in cash and trades (got used on PL)
445nm module... $160 o-like module, $37 flexmod so like $197

OSLS LT1000 pre-certified enclosure $2495
EyeMagic 6.5mm aperture scanners $1350

Pangolin LD2000 Intro $1500

after you add in optics, mounts, aluminum, hardware etc

I probably have over $14k of actual money into this projector...

oh god, I never added it up till now :cryyy:

lol

Now all you need is some 510nm, and your gamut will be complete. :p 510 cuts of that bluish green corner.

But seriously, nice projector, and great pics.

well the 473 is pretty blue/green... I think it would be better to get some yellow in there :D

maybe someday...

Ya I cannot believe how cheap its become to build a pretty nice RGB rig...

like you said, you can pick up scanners for <$150 now...

blue? ya, Casio fixed that one for everyone pretty much... build yourself a decent analog modulated 445nm module for what, like $200? (thats about what mine cost me... $150 o-like module, $37~? for the flexmod)

red, LOC's give you a nice deep red with a tight beam

green, you can get that 100+mW analog modulated module for what, $125 shipped?

so for like $600~ or so in lasers and scanners you could build what would be a really nice RGB rig

buy a FB3 from pangolin for another $600, your $1200 in and doing professional looking shows...

when I think of how much I have spent on lasers (both in the past and recently) and how much I spent on my QM setup... I cry a little lol

lets do the math...

2x 660nm CNI lasers... $450/ea = $900 (got a great deal on PL)
550mW 642nm LaserWave is a loaner (getting replaced with a 1.2W KVant, that cost me $2800)
532nm LaserWave $1111 (got lucky on a lasershowparts $0.99 auction)
473nm LaserWave ~$3000 in cash and trades (got used on PL)
445nm module... $160 o-like module, $37 flexmod so like $197

OSLS LT1000 pre-certified enclosure $2495
EyeMagic 6.5mm aperture scanners $1350

Pangolin LD2000 Intro $1500

after you add in optics, mounts, aluminum, hardware etc

I probably have over $14k of actual money into this projector...

oh god, I never added it up till now :cryyy:

lol

well the 473 is pretty blue/green... I think it would be better to get some yellow in there :D

maybe someday...

OUCH! If you had everything you needed how long would it take to build not knowing what you know now after building it? (confusing huh):tired:
I really like your projector! It's like a Picaso! :bowdown: :beer:

Last edited:

flecom

I have no idea what you just said lol

but honestly, I don't know, I think I lost my mind... my projector was supposed to be a 1W RGB... lol

It was going to be 400mW 473, 900mW 642, and 300mW 532nm

I blame this entirely on Casio actually.... I already had the 2x 1W CNI's (they were part of a larger trade that also included the 1.8W lambda pro, a 2.4W green Melles Griot and one of my ML-10's) and I had the 1.5W laserwave from another beam table...

so when the cheap 445 came out I could suddenly afford enough blue to make a monster projector... and this was the result... it went from "holy crap I can get 1W of blue for nothing" to a complete projector in about 3~ weeks... I was under pressure from everyone to get it done in time for SELEM and I literally finished it about 2 hours before driving 14 hours to SELEM lol

I definitely dont regret anything about it though... it was all totally worth it

more pics:

IMG_1227%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1230%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1231%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1229%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1236%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1223%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1224%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1225%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1226%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1234%20(Large).jpg

IMG_1235%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea what you just said lol

I think Johnnie Walker was typing, what I meant was, if that was your first build how long woud it take to build it?
:drunk: (it's a good thing I can't TUI (typing under influence))

Last edited:
I love the new pics!

My first really good laser show was in Vancouver B.C. at the 86 worlds fair, I thought that was one of the neatest things and have loved lasers ever since. After seeing Your Picaso I had a flash back!

Last edited:

flecom

if that was your first build how long woud it take to build it?

when it comes to whiskey I was always more of a Makers Mark kinda guy, but I do have a bottle of green label for special occasions :) ... but honestly I prefer Vodka (Grey Goose) hehe

I have no idea how long it would take me to build it from zero, I have been playing with projectors for as long as I can remember much to the alarm of my parents at the time... I built my first HeNe spiro projector when I was like 12... found the instructions in a book called "The Laser Cookbook"... used a surplus HeNe tube I ordered out of the back of an electronics magazine called "Electronics Now" and a power supply I built out of parts I got from Radio Shack using a schematic I found in another magazine, cant remember which now... :)

I didn't really get back into it until maybe 4~5 years ago, and since then I have learned a lot from a lot of very smart people... but along that journey there was more than one instance very similar to your avatar lol