Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

my 30mw can burn and sting skin.is normal?

hello. i made a review of the DX kaleidoscopic 30mw pen laser.... i must say that i potmodded it. i don't know if i REALLY improved the power of the laser...i just turned the pot untill the laser DOES NOT light up....then.. i bo back of a 0,001 milimeter and the laser worked. so i think it was THE MAX that the potentiometer can do. i am at the limit XD. my laser has a nice beam spec. 1mm..... and it can burn through dark trasjbag... and also plastic..(but not go really throug.. only burn a bit).

but... i tried.. and it can sting my skin also at about 1 meter. XD is normal? i think to have more than 30mw..... the bea is very visible in the nignt.... i don't know if is normal for a 30mw this visibility! i can't imagine how could be the olike 120+ laser pen that i ordered XD.

i think that my laser can burn BECAUSE it has a 1mm diameter beam. so.. the light is concentrated...and also 30mw can burn. i think that 30mw in 1,5/1.8 mm diameter could never burn .

karbon

well by "pot modding" your laser you have just increased the amount of power that goes into the diode. this means that the strength of the beam will increase above 30mw so therefore have burning properties. this also means that after long usage the diode will wear out a lot quicker and the laser will not be as sustainable and wear out.

I got a LED Shoppe 30 mW that hits 80 mW, (on my meter), and it can light a match, easy to feel it burn skin at 3 feet. I also got a 50 mW one that will peak at 170 mW! :eek: These are the best from 16 units I got from LED Shoppe.

karbon

I got a LED Shoppe 30 mW that hits 80 mW, (on my meter), and it can light a match, easy to feel it burn skin at 3 feet. I also got a 50 mW one that will peak at 170 mW! :eek: These are the best from 16 units I got from LED Shoppe.

Wow thats crazy, i need to start shopping there :)

170mw... how much IR? however... i think that the laser originally was 20mw... not true :) now could be 35.. bho. i have white skin...normal skin :) the ledshoppe 30mw.. is well focused i think. i think that only laser with 1mm or so... beam diameter are very good to burn.. also at not very high power like 100.... but just at 40..60mw burn well.

Switch

I can barely feel my 30mW on my skin but that's just because I got a bit of a tan. :D

karbon

i think overall it depends on which laser you get. some companies have the advertised output at the maximum of the device, and others have it at an absolute minimum. usually the more expensive lasers have advertised outputs 10-30mw below what they actually average at