Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multiply-packaged diodes/modules?

Hi all -
I'm wondering if multiple (say red) lasers are available in a single package?
A line of ten with a separation of 2mm would be perfect.
Or alternatively SMD ones that i can solder myself?
Ideally including mini lenses for parallel beams..

It doesn't sound that outrageously esoteric to me, rather the kind of component you'd think would be commonly available. There are plenty of them for LEDs, but not laser diodes as far as I can see.
Thank-you,

kecked

Easier way to do that is a grating like a Michia grating. Not sure I spelled that right. You put a single beam in and it creates a line of evenly spaced lines from a single source.

Encap

Hi all -
I'm wondering if multiple (say red) lasers are available in a single package?
A line of ten with a separation of 2mm would be perfect.
Or alternatively SMD ones that i can solder myself?
Ideally including mini lenses for parallel beams..

It doesn't sound that outrageously esoteric to me, rather the kind of component you'd think would be commonly available. There are plenty of them for LEDs, but not laser diodes as far as I can see.
Thank-you,

What makes you think that?
"the kind of component you'd think would be commonly available" for what common purpose/why?

You going to have to make you something like that yourself.
There isn't any real reason for such a thing to be commercially available---no commercial reason/product purpose for same.

You can buy 10 loose 650nm lasers ea. w. driver and lens for $2.39 w. free shipping here: https://www.amazon.com/DTOL-Laser-Diode-Module-650nm/dp/B00R73MC1S
and go from there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the grating idea, but I want to sweep the 10 beams across a screen, controlling each individually.

"There isn't any real reason for such a thing"
It's surprising, some of the things that are available, and that people find reasons for using. A lot of electronic components come multiply-packaged.

Last edited:

Encap

Thanks for the grating idea, but I want to sweep the 10 beams across a screen, controlling each individually.

It's surprising, some of the things that are available, and that people find reasons for using. A lot of electronic components come multiply-packaged.

What available is available because someone had a viable commercial need/purpose and reason to create and offer it generally speaking --no other reasons had to be found---

Here is something in the same kettle of fish perhaps: https://www.laserdiodesource.com/files/pdfs/laserdiodesource_com/product-124/632nm-650nm-680nm-cleaved-laser-diode-bar-up-to-10W-Modulight.pdf

and here: https://www.fbh-berlin.com/research/photonics/high-power-diode-lasers/laser-bars

Last edited:

I don't get why you are so into a multiple package if you want to sweep individually anyway. You allready got the great tip to buy 10 individual diodes.

Singlemode

Last edited:

Encap

I don't get why you are so into a multiple package if you want to seeep individually anyway. You allready got the great tip to buy 10 individual diodes.

Singlemode

Exactly--me either--go figure....

Last edited:
Because it would be a lot easier to have an 11-pin package ready made, than to align and solder up 10 smd diodes (if they exist).

Encap

Because it would be a lot easier to have an 11-pin package ready made, than to align and solder up 10 smd diodes (if they exist).

:crackup: Manufacturers don't set up production of something to supply it from a rubbish/dust bin of lost time and money to woolgathering daydreamers, when and if--at least not as a business or they would all be out of business

Last edited:

Easy for you means always, that somebody else did the work in the first place. As it seems there is no demand for a 10 diode package to go into "mass production". Do it yourself or pay somebody to do it for you. I am sure for some 100$s you will find somebody to wire the diodes together for you.

Singlemode

Encap

Keep it civil :tsk:

:crackup:

Thanks AD-

If an imagined shortcut/premade device doesn't exist in the real world aftermarket because there no viable business reason for it to have been created---it doesn't, is not my doing.
The rational choice is to build whatever you need or want yourself.

I strained hard to be polite and ignore the sarcastic condescension but eventually snapped, sorry.

Hi, thanks, but a 6mm spacing is about 3 times too big :)
... unless they can be broken open, to use just the pcb? I'll give it a try - it'll take some ingenuity to retain the use of the lenses though.