Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multiline Argon in Australia!

vk2fro

Re: Multiline Argon in Australia! *SOLD*

TTerbo: are you able to provide or build a power supply for it?

vk2fro

Re: Multiline Argon in Australia! *SOLD*

Retracted. (the post, not the purchase of the laser!)

Last edited:

Things

OK, this laser is up for sale once again! Unfortunately Ben lost a laser in his projector and needs to repair that.

I'll give it a day or 2 and i'll try get it back on eBay again (Special wording this time)!

Cheers,
Dan

TTerbo, you'd have to acquire or build a power supply and be sure not to run it without getting a fan mounted...

Things

Yes, it is an adventure if you decide to buy it. A PSU is not all that hard if you don't mind it being wasteful, but it is definitely NOT for the beginner. The voltages and currents alone are enough to blow fingers off your hands.

TTerbo

heh fine >.<
and aryntha i sent you yet another pm :p
cheers

I was going to purchase a bare small 15mW argon tube, and I was wondering if you guys maybe a have a link or can point me in the right direction to building a power supply for it. What confuses me is that, how many connections are there on a bare tube? I understand you need a 3V high amp supply and around 110V AC or DC, and I thought you need a high kV starter but really I'm unsure.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to spam your thread, but I figure it's sort of relevant considering this tube needs a supply as well, and it may help you get some buyers if they know how to get the thing running. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

vk2fro

Thanks Dan for understanding - yeah pretty peeved that yet another red has died on me - least LOC's arent terribly expensive, but I'm going to get a few just in case.

For the person who buys this laser, I have the major components to make the supply. Transformer and large electrolytic cap with a proper working/surge voltage. I also have a suitable fan (which I will give a good clean). Also 240v mains rated.

Obviously the transformer is for the australian mains (240v).

There is a goldmine of information on Sams laserfaq about driving these small aircooled argon heads. Basiclly your just building a giant constant current source, instead of being 2.2v for a red diode, its 100 ish volts at several amps for an argon tube :) The supply can be fairly basic for testing, with just a high power resistor and the above mentioned components, and when you know the laser lases (which Dan says it does), upgrade that supply pronto to current regulation. This is an opamp, some big transistors and not much more. Forced air cooling for both supply and laser are mandatory. The supply will dissapate in the area of up to 700 watts of heat, and the laser will produce about the same at full power. These tubes tend to melt down in short order when run without a fan for any length of time say over a minute or 3.

Alex: there are 4 connections to a small aircooled argon. 2 cathode connections, a frame ground and tube +. The - on the tube comes off a centre tap on the filament winding. The starting pulse is superimposed on the + line, usually having all the tube current passing through the start transformer once the tube ignites. The nice thing about this little laser is the start card is already built in - just supply running current and the start card will ignite the tube automatically after around 5 seconds.

Not trying to hijack your thread Dan, but since I am not getting this laser, may as well offer the power supply parts I have here to the buyer to get them off to a good start.

Last edited:

vk2fro

Yes, it is an adventure if you decide to buy it. A PSU is not all that hard if you don't mind it being wasteful, but it is definitely NOT for the beginner. The voltages and currents alone are enough to blow fingers off your hands.

hahaha very true - or in my case, my SG-IL1 mkI I blew several tracks off the VEROBOARD i used. NEVER use veroboard in this type of circumstance. The fireworks are pretty, but replacing blown components is not!

Things

Eh, I'll give it a day or 2 then I'll try it on eBay again, though under laser show parts this time!