Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

mounting Dichro lens help

hey everyone, I have decided its now time to start my Pink/Magenta laser box. I was gonna do it back in July but the break up with my ex kept me from caring about lasers and anything else for that matter, but I have bounced back and got back into the hobby a long with flashlights as well. I have everything I need, both laser modules, dichroic filters, switches, box, battery packs, and mounts for filters. my question is since I have never mounted optics how do I mount the filters on the mounts, glue I presume? what kind of glue do I use for this? all the pics I see online of RGB systems I can see that the dichro filters are mounted on those little mounts and I don't know how they are staying on there. thanks for the help everyone.

I would use hot glue. It is easy to work with and can be melted if you need to move your mirror. Only use glue on enough of the dichro to make it stick. That is very little as you needn't use a lot of the dichro's surface area. You might want to test which surface of the dichro you want pointing at which laser, though. Good luck, Richie.

I use the UV curing glue on optics, it's permanent so you want to test set everything then go back and apply a little glue, then with the device running and when you know everything is as you want it to stay, use a 385nm LED flashlight and cure the glue, I go over it with the UV light for 20-30 seconds.
If you need to attach your optic to a mount you may want to use a temporary adhesive and test fit the mount/optic before using permanent glue.
Be careful not to use any epoxy that will outgas as it cures and keep a cigarette lighter at hand if using hot glue, as you pull it away it likes to draw a stringer, use the lighter to break it without touching it and making a mess.
You could use a temporary mounting clay so you can set everything then use something like the UV glue, but beware of residue clays can leave behind and use as little as possible leaving a clean space to make a permanent bond.

Last edited:
Did anyone mention 'SUPER GLUE'
NEVER use it around optics/glass etc.

Epoxy can be unforgiving..

E-3000 stays a tad soft.. good for any 'undo' ing.
but NO SUPERGLUE..

btw PINK??? c/'mon-- 'girly man' color.... jkidding.
we all see colors a bit different from each other.

I am building a 488nm B 80mW + 638nm 200mW R to make the manly color of MAGENTA!!!
Using harvested dichros from Laser TV projectors.
extra cooling fans & heat sinks. also Kasio harvested.
18650 powered 12vsc battpack made from harvested batts from lappies.
1/4th inch mounting plates from scrap barrel.. harvested.
Brass mounts from AixiZ (test samples)
'B' from Robinson (THOOD)
'R' from AixiZ.

good luck with yours
PM if I CAN HELP

I would use hot glue. It is easy to work with and can be melted if you need to move your mirror. Only use glue on enough of the dichro to make it stick. That is very little as you needn't use a lot of the dichro's surface area. You might want to test which surface of the dichro you want pointing at which laser, though. Good luck, Richie.
hot glue is actually a good idea, in case I misalign the glass. I wasn't sure if that particular type of glass had a special glue, I guess that explains why I couldn't find anything. thanks Paul :)
I use the UV curing glue on optics, it's permanent so you want to test set everything then go back and apply a little glue, then with the device running and when you know everything is as you want it to stay, use a 385nm LED flashlight and cure the glue, I go over it with the UV light for 20-30 seconds.
If you need to attach your optic to a mount you may want to use a temporary adhesive and test fit the mount/optic before using permanent glue.
Be careful not to use any epoxy that will outgas as it cures and keep a cigarette lighter at hand if using hot glue, as you pull it away it likes to draw a stringer, use the lighter to break it without touching it and making a mess.
You could use a temporary mounting clay so you can set everything then use something like the UV glue, but beware of residue clays can leave behind and use as little as possible leaving a clean space to make a permanent bond.
I would use UV glue but knowing me id make a mistake, I seem to be prone to mistakes a lot, I like the lighter idea to be honest. I hate those strings they leave behind, I just hope it isn't too difficult to line up the lasers I know that alignment is key, if im off by just a fraction of a millimeter itll throw the beam off by a lot. thanks again for the help Red (y)

Epoxy can be unforgiving..

E-3000 stays a tad soft.. good for any 'undo' ing.
but NO SUPERGLUE..

btw PINK??? c/'mon-- 'girly man' color.... jkidding.
we all see colors a bit different from each other.

I am building a 488nm B 80mW + 638nm 200mW R to make the manly color of MAGENTA!!!
Using harvested dichros from Laser TV projectors.
extra cooling fans & heat sinks. also Kasio harvested.
18650 powered 12vsc battpack made from harvested batts from lappies.
1/4th inch mounting plates from scrap barrel.. harvested.
Brass mounts from AixiZ (test samples)
'B' from Robinson (THOOD)
'R' from AixiZ.

good luck with yours
PM if I CAN HELP
hey HAK! :D
yeah I was playing around with my violet and red laser back in May and really liked the color a lot, probably because its considered Big time Exotic since its not even on the visible light spectrum, its gonna be so cool but yes girly :ROFLMAO: oooh I should try that to see what it looks like since I've got 488 and 638 :D I never thought to try that. im gonna try it now o_O

diachi

Seconded on the UV cure glue.

Two part epoxy is usually fine in my experience, have had no issues with outgassing - like you get with super glue (cyanoacrylates).

Yup, super glue outgasses and fogs up optics. Never use it! It can cause issues with other things to. I've had it break switches as it managed to coat the contacts when it offgassed.