Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Most famous youtuber showing us how to not use a laser

This made me think lasers aren't too much of a danger...

Why?

Just because some people are irresponsible dosen't mean the device is safe. Some people drive like idiots, does that mean all cars should be treated like toys when someone is going 45MPH in a school zone just because an accident didn't happen?!?!

This hobby has done so much to try and prevent accidents to people, pilots and folks who are trying to protect themselves and others while using lasers. I am starting to feel though that some have reached a point of just letting people act dangerously so they can figure out the hard way.

Im not trying to be mean, just stating that people can't keep saying the same message over and over again if it is just ignored. Like said by a YouTube comment:

"Us humans just need to learn the hard way sometimes"

-Alex

Last edited:
Why?

Just because some people are irresponsible dosen't mean the device is safe. Some people drive like idiots, does that mean all cars should be treated like toys when someone is going 45MPH in a school zone just because an accident didn't happen?!?!

This hobby has done so much to try and prevent accidents to people, pilots and folks who are trying to protect themselves and others while using lasers. I am starting to feel though that some have reached a point of just letting people act dangerously so they can figure out the hard way.

Im not trying to be mean, just stating that people can't keep saying the same message over and over again if it is just ignored. Like said by a YouTube comment:

"Us humans just need to learn the hard way sometimes"

-Alex

I promise I wont to close up burning. Just outside.

I think this has a good outcome, he is showing his fans how not to use laser, and they fucking keel over and die. This might wipe out all the imbreds as well.

I feel mentally violated after watching that...

Well, we may as well prepare for a huge influx of n00bs now.

gozert

I feel mentally violated after watching that...

Well, we may as well prepare for a huge influx of n00bs now.

On one side, having a couple new members definitely won't hurt the forum. We could use some. On the other side, if every single one of them is just as dumb as he is, then we're going to have a hell lot of people have red rep bars under their name.

Reactions: GSS
Pewds should have mentions never to use a laser this way...I just think its dumb. We want to see the beam, And it being used correctly. Hey guys this is NotKnowLaserPie

I ain't gettin' it, why are you all so worked up about this?

Video is clearly made for comedic purposes (albeit with horrible sense of humor if you ask me, as if catering to younger audience), and he really only pointed it directly at the camera while mentioning he's probably going to ruin the "lens" (technically sensor, but whatever).

He mentions multiple times through the video that it's dangerous, that he has to use safety glasses, and he is scared of using it for fear of blinding himself, after which he puts it away.

He also demonstrates the laser isn't simple to use as he failed to figure out how to unlock the laser, and after unlocking it how to put it in CW mode, so the way I figure, all the "kids" and what have you are going to see is that it's a blinking laser that practically does nothing. Nobody wants that.

Going even further he mocks himself for pointing the laser at his face when failing to unlock it.

So again, over what exactly are you all in "torches and pitchforks" mode? We've DEFINITELY seen waaaay worse than this and lived.

On one side, having a couple new members definitely won't hurt the forum. We could use some. On the other side, if every single one of them is just as dumb as he is, then we're going to have a hell lot of people have red rep bars under their name.

The people who dislike newbies who ask questions (even if answered ones) may disagree, which appears to be the majority of the forum.

I wouldn't mind, personally, I like answering beginners questions (not just because they're the easiest questions to answer) but I can already see "This was already answered, use search!!!" on the inside of my eyelids.

gozert

Video is clearly made for comedic purposes (albeit with horrible sense of humor if you ask me, as if catering to younger audience), and he really only pointed it directly at the camera while mentioning he's probably going to ruin the "lens" (technically sensor, but whatever).

He mentions multiple times through the video that it's dangerous, that he has to use safety glasses, and he is scared of using it for fear of blinding himself, after which he puts it away.

He also demonstrates the laser isn't simple to use as he failed to figure out how to unlock the laser, and after unlocking it how to put it in CW mode, so the way I figure, all the "kids" and what have you are going to see is that it's a blinking laser that practically does nothing. Nobody wants that.

Going even further he mocks himself for pointing the laser at his face when failing to unlock it.

So again, over what exactly are you all in "torches and pitchforks" mode? We've DEFINITELY seen waaaay worse than this and lived.

The people who dislike newbies who ask questions (even if answered ones) may disagree, which appears to be the majority of the forum.

I wouldn't mind, personally, I like answering beginners questions (not just because they're the easiest questions to answer) but I can already see "This was already answered, use search!!!" on the inside of my eyelids.

What I absolutely hate is newbs that make a new thread for every single question. Necropost on every thread they feel like and so on. I honestly don't care about them asking the same questions, but I'd appreciate them taking time to read the stickies before doing so. Which usually isn't done. People tend to send new people to the search bar rather quickly, yes, but in most of the cases people have to be told over and over to finally search their question, and yet they don't do it.

While I agree with you that the video is made for comedic purposes, do realise that this video has millions of views. There are certainly people buying a powerful handheld just because of his video. Just on the first row of comments I already saw five people ask things about the laser and tell him how awesome it is. Sure, they may not end up buying a WL, but these days you already have cheap 1W's for less than 50$.

Last edited:
What I absolutely hate is newbs that make a new thread for every single question. Necropost on every thread they feel like and so on. I honestly don't care about them asking the same questions, but I'd appreciate them taking time to read the stickies before doing so. Which usually isn't done. People tend to send new people to the search bar rather quickly, yes, but in most of the cases people have to be told over and over to finally search their question, and yet they don't do it.

While I agree with you that the video is made for comedic purposes, do realise that this video has millions of views. There are certainly people buying a powerful handheld just because of his video. Just on the first row of comments I already saw five people ask things about the laser and tell him how awesome it is. Sure, they may not end up buying a WL, but these days you already have cheap 1W's for less than 50$.

Well maybe repeatedly telling them to "go search" isn't the solution to the problem, then?

I personally prefer the "answer the question" approach.

And for the record, I don't believe stickies are very well organized and have accessible information in them. They deal mostly with forum etiquette, and some rather specific topics. Say I want to know what is a "buck" and "boost" driver and which I need for *this* diode, also what *batteries* to go with that. Which sticky covers that? There will always be people who don't read anything but honestly if we had far more "digested" information out there in the open, we'd cut the problem down significantly.

Anyhow, yes it's true, there are insanely powerful lasers today available for ultra-cheap prices, depending where you're buying. Gawd if I could go back 7 years to my then-newbie self and start explaining what kinds of lasers we're toying around with now... :D

But how's this any of the video maker's fault? Simply for bringing the fact of the laser availability to attention to (more of the) general public doesn't merit any hate, IMO. Especially when he's made laser goggles and fear of misusing the laser quite a large points in his video - something which is in direct contract to what, say, Kipkay is doing. Honestly all I saw in the video was "this is quite dangerous, I don't know how to operate it and I'm going to put it away".

What did you all see? What are you all actually hating so passionately? Did I miss anything? I stopped watching when he put the laser away and talked about some junk or other, so maybe I missed something later in the video?

If not, can we all just take a step back, deep breath, and go "Alright cool, could be some new members on the forums! Better prepare a .txt with useful links and common replies, maybe we'll get forum sellers some traffic, and maybe we get some new builders or machinists!" instead of all this brutal negativity?

I'm just seeing way too much of it, and all this undirected omni-present hate towards anything that isn't a picture of safety glasses and "search yourself" posts is just turning away potential members who know a thing or two.

Seriously, what next? Do we make rage-threads about Star Trek because they shoot people with "phasers" which is too close to "lasers" as well?

Last edited:
Well maybe repeatedly telling them to "go search" isn't the solution to the problem, then?

I personally prefer the "answer the question" approach.

And for the record, I don't believe stickies are very well organized and have accessible information in them. They deal mostly with forum etiquette, and some rather specific topics. Say I want to know what is a "buck" and "boost" driver and which I need for *this* diode, also what *batteries* to go with that. Which sticky covers that? There will always be people who don't read anything but honestly if we had far more "digested" information out there in the open, we'd cut the problem down significantly.

Anyhow, yes it's true, there are insanely powerful lasers today available for ultra-cheap prices, depending where you're buying. Gawd if I could go back 7 years to my then-newbie self and start explaining what kinds of lasers we're toying around with now... :D

But how's this any of the video maker's fault? Simply for bringing the fact of the laser availability to attention to (more of the) general public doesn't merit any hate, IMO. Especially when he's made laser goggles and fear of misusing the laser quite a large points in his video - something which is in direct contract to what, say, Kipkay is doing. Honestly all I saw in the video was "this is quite dangerous, I don't know how to operate it and I'm going to put it away".

What did you all see? What are you all actually hating so passionately? Did I miss anything? I stopped watching when he put the laser away and talked about some junk or other, so maybe I missed something later in the video?

If not, can we all just take a step back, deep breath, and go "Alright cool, could be some new members on the forums! Better prepare a .txt with useful links and common replies, maybe we'll get forum sellers some traffic, and maybe we get some new builders or machinists!" instead of all this brutal negativity?

I'm just seeing way too much of it, and all this undirected omni-present hate towards anything that isn't a picture of safety glasses and "search yourself" posts is just turning away potential members who know a thing or two.

Seriously, what next? Do we make rage-threads about Star Trek because they shoot people with "phasers" which is too close to "lasers" as well?

I don't mind answering newbie questions, it reminds me of when I was where they are (which really wasn't to long ago :rolleyes:). I take the opportunity and make sure they know the basics of laser safety because they'll probably be leaving the forum in a month or less.

The problem I have with the video is that this guys audience is fairly young. He knows this and caters towards their sense of humor, as evident in the video. Granted, he didn't do anything dangerous with the laser (except look into the aperture, but he made it clear that that was a stupid move.) but do you think that every 10-15 year old with a "pewds lazor" is going to be safe with it? Bringing lasers the the public is a good idea, since the media tries to label them as "weapons". But bringing lasers to kids who are still in middle school? Maybe not such a great idea. I know we have some responsible 12-15 year olds here, but they've had laser safety pounded into their head by the forum.

Last edited:

I agree mostly. The only thing I really have a problem with on his part is pointing it at his eye. I have more of a problem with WL, who will send a high power laser to anyone just to get sales.

As for the noobs, the only thing I have a problem with is when they ask questions that I know they could have easily answered instantly with a search. Or when they continuously ignore our suggestions and ask the same questions over and over. There was one recently who was very bad about it. But I can understand that sometimes the search just doesn't find what you need, no matter how many times you try. I've been there.

The problem I have with the video is that this guys audience is fairly young. He knows this and caters towards their sense of humor, as evident in the video. Granted, he didn't do anything dangerous with the laser (except look into the aperture, but he made it clear that that was a stupid move.) but do you think that every 10-15 year old with a "pewds lazor" is going to be safe with it? Bringing lasers the the public is a good idea, since the media tries to label them as "weapons". But bringing lasers to kids who are still in middle school? Maybe not such a great idea. I know we have some responsible 12-15 year olds here, but they've had laser safety pounded into their head by the forum.

I don't think we should immediately try to isolate any information regarding existence of powerful lasers from high-school age. I don't think this is as big of a problem as everybody makes it out to be.

Same can be said for any other commonly obtainable but dangerous items, which you only need to hear of to want one.

I think that any person (high schooler or not) who sees this for the first time, will first simply google around what that is, which will inevitably lead to warnings about safety, and possibly this forum. I think it's the adults with credit cards but without common sense or guidance of parents we should be worried about. When was a kid in the news for causing trouble with a laser, as opposed to people with too much time and money on their hands (as opposed by common sense)?

TL;DR, I think all this worrying and hating is rather pointless. You can't change the fact that people will post videos about powerful lasers, you can NOT prevent people doing stupid shit with them. People who are stupid enough to cause a laser accident most likely cannot be reasoned with anyway (and no amount of warning will prevent them from lasing a plane "just once, dude"), and people who are not of that mindset will be responsible with lasers, with the forum and it's stickies, or without them.

gozert

I don't think we should immediately try to isolate any information regarding existence of powerful lasers from high-school age. I don't think this is as big of a problem as everybody makes it out to be.

Same can be said for any other commonly obtainable but dangerous items, which you only need to hear of to want one.

I think that any person (high schooler or not) who sees this for the first time, will first simply google around what that is, which will inevitably lead to warnings about safety, and possibly this forum. I think it's the adults with credit cards but without common sense or guidance of parents we should be worried about. When was a kid in the news for causing trouble with a laser, as opposed to people with too much time and money on their hands (as opposed by common sense)?

Sadly out of the five friends that I showed my lasers to, not a single one thought "hey this might be dangerous, let's be careful with it". Every single one of them was over the age of 16 at the time of showing them, with some of them being 19. Yet every one of them pointed on either cars, planes, windows or people even after warning them to absolutely not do this. Hell, one of them even pointed the laser directly in his eye, twice in a row. They were like "yeah well, light can't really do anything dangerous let's give it a try". Before I could grab my laser back they had already done what I told them not to do. Luckily this was with a ~30mW laser, but imagine someone doing this with a 1W+ laser.

There are way too many idiots out there that will not follow the rules nor advice given to them no matter how many times you tell them. That's the reason why I can't stand these videos, especially when they reach such a big crowd that accidents are bound to happen.

Last edited: