Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Module Laser 5.5W 450nm my first purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtual XI

Here is my first purchase of a powerful laser
It's a 5.5W 450 nanometer, it's a module.
I arrive tomorrow, I bought it on Amazon.it
And I paid € 129.90 for $ 142.12 including green protective glasses
Do you think I paid a fair price or did I pay too much?

Technical details
Laser wavelength: 450nm (blue)
Output power: 5500 mW (5.5 W)
Driving mode: constant current unit of the external ACC
Power supply voltage: 12VDC
AC adapter input voltage: 100-240V
Lens material: optical glass with coating
Clear shape: point, adjustable focus
Modulation: TTL
PWM control: support
Other function: weak light positioning
Dimensions: 33 * 33 * 100 mm
Net laser weight: 170 g
Spot shape: adjustable tip focusing
power consumption: 12V 1A
Drive mode: constant current ACC external
Heat dissipation method: forced / active air cooling
Interface parameter: XH2.54-3Pin / Support PWM

The user must read:
Reflections damage the laser when the metal of the mirror is etched.
The power of the laser module is relatively large, for industrial use only, to prohibit the exposure of the eye, otherwise it will cause permanent blindness, the consequences at your own risk.
Do not use in flammable and gaseous atmospheres to avoid fire and explosion.
Prohibit children from exposure to this laser product.
Do not open the module to avoid damage.

Some Screenshots
1569772327969.png

1569772386602.png

1569772451299.png

I can't wait to prove its power and brilliance, I'm really happy, then I'll post photos of the beam and the whole :p

GSS

The price is about right what ebay would charge. It's nice that it has a cooling fan on the driver..
I would test the glasses on the side lens if they are the cheap generic type..
You should really get some Eagle glasses for $40.. This unit should do 5W or close to it..

Virtual XI

The price is about right what ebay would charge. It's nice that it has a cooling fan on the driver..
I would test the glasses on the side lens if they are the cheap generic type..
You should really get some Eagle glasses for $40.. This unit should do 5W or close to it..
Luckily, I thought I paid too much.
Yes, I think that the safety glasses are cheap ones that they bundle with the module and its huge fan plus driver.
I will feed it as it says in the description with a 12VDC max 2A
And in any case, even if the amperage should be higher, the module itself only absorbs what it needs, so I believe that there are no episodes of overcrowding or short circuit,
I think it is protected from these possible damages / mistakes by the end user?
so 5.5W does not reach 6W of maximum peak?
but even a 5.5W comes as a maximum peak at 5W net? :unsure:
And what does loses milliwatts during its operation?:unsure:

I would expect this to have a maximum output of 5.5 watts. The longer it runs the lower the output power will be. This is the usual case of these direct diode laser engravers. How much power it loses remains to be seen. You can measure it from a cold start then after it has been running for 10 to 15 minutes at full power.

Virtual XI

I would expect this to have a maximum output of 5.5 watts. The longer it runs the lower the output power will be. This is the usual case of these direct diode laser engravers. How much power it loses remains to be seen. You can measure it from a cold start then after it has been running for 10 to 15 minutes at full power.
So this is the defect of laser engraving modules, starting it cold is a possible thing, what is impossible for me is to measure its effective power, after having started it cold and left there for max 10min, but there is no 'I have a laser power meter, in Italy they can't be found.
So if my module was 10W, would its net effective power be 9 / 9.5W net?

It depends on how hard they over drive them to begin with. If the engraver is not over driven it could hold its power after several minutes, but that isn't usually the case. Often these are over driven pretty hard, so the longer they heat up the more power it will lose over time. Not necessarily a great deal of power. Why can't you get a laser power meter where you are? I have three of them. Eventually you will want to have one as you cannot know what the output power is without one.

Virtual XI

It depends on how hard they over drive them to begin with. If the engraver is not over driven it could hold its power after several minutes, but that isn't usually the case. Often these are over driven pretty hard, so the longer they heat up the more power it will lose over time. Not necessarily a great deal of power. Why can't you get a laser power meter where you are? I have three of them. Eventually you will want to have one as you cannot know what the output power is without one.
I understand Paul, in the day I have to receive it, before turning it on for the first time, I will post photos of the object physically in my hands and not just in photos as before the purchase.
I can not find an LPM because in Italy they do not sell and therefore toca buy them abroad or in China and often the Italian customs create problems, so an item paid for € 10.00 if you are blocked or pending clarifications, to end are just problems.

Virtual XI

It's nice to know what a laser's output is but it's not a necessity.. 4W , 5W, 6Ws are all burner's..
It obvious that it is dangerous and glasses are needed. In time you will learn the laser's duty cycle and when to shut it down for a minute or so between just lasing or your etching..
If you do want a meter, """DO NOT""" buy from Laserpointerstore.. Their "Pocket Meter" 'is a cheap gimic toy worth maby $10..
I can't see Italian customs banning a meter though??
In fact, when you think about it, it's not necessarily something you need, but if I can find it in Italy, I buy it, or the model that has the display enclosed in that gray mouse bag, or a Laserbee.
In all the descriptions of the laser modules suitable for engraving, it says that they can be kept in operation even for hours, I don't believe in this thing much, however the module gets hot and is not good for the life of the diode direct.
Around 12:30 AM I was delivered by courier Amazon.it,
I unboxed it, and there is everything, the glasses are very bland and badly made, not worth more than € 2.00, or $ 2.18.

For now I am stopped, because (look at the attached picture n°2) that separate wire that has three colors red, black, white, one must be inserted on the driver with the fan and the other I have to peel it and connect only the red and the black to the 12V 2A power supply?
I wouldn't want to get into trouble

Virtual XI

Yes!! just wait for someone to post with experience to guide you with the wire hook up, no matter how bad you wan't to use this new laser.. My similar 532nm active cooled labby's don't have a fan on the driver, only on the module so I only need a 2 wire black and red 12V power source..
Laserbee makes is a great meter. but, if the mouse bag with the display one you are talking about is from Laserpointer store, it is a very cheaply made toy meter.. It is not accurate and will not last..
Even if you only get 1 or 2 hours of run time, that is plenty for engraving as you only need a minute or two of cool down.
Yes, it is the Hyperion V2 which measures up to 15W without an antistatic envelope, the new version powered by a 9V cell,
However while I was waiting for your answer, I saw the photos well and I realized one thing, still in the 2nd photo, on the left I had seen a small jack and below it you could read 2V, so I went to get the laser box , I opened it and I saw that there is a small jack and below is not 2V but 12V, then that triple wire is only useful if you have to connect to a 2 or 3 axis to make it act as an engraver, so there is 12V , PWM, GND
Great, I just have to connect the DC 12V 2A power supply input inside this small 12V jack and I'm done?

My curiosity was immediately unscrew the collimating lens, a small spring came out and then I saw the laser diode, it's strange, however, it is not the classic round button diode with the cover above and the glass that protects it or whatever. let it be,
a discovered diode similar to this one

I see this very delicate diode, I know that I must treat it with white gloves, if it breaks I threw away € 129.90

1569860725690.png

Virtual XI

These engravers use for the most part I think a NUG08 diode which come with fixed focused Gball lens. In order to make them focus they remove the stock G ball lens and use another lens so you can change your focus.
The issue is now it becomes a open element diode and more prone to dust and debris. Thats why it's not a good idea to take the lens off and chance it. Put the spring back on carefully and the lens.
Also use caution if your etching as the smoke can reach inside..

I also edit my last post about the laser meter as I wasn't sure if you were mentioning the Hyperion or the silly pocket meter. I know now your thinking about the Hyperion V2
So when I post my review, can't I take pictures with my cell phone directly on the bare diode? I saw that when reviews are made or you present something new that you have bought for all of you, there are many photos, otherwise sharing where is it?
NUG08 = N | k | @?

Why must you openly violate forum rules for banned members and return, you likely will be banned in a few minutes. I told you what to do, if you don't, you are just trolling now. Maybe you can stop posting insincere meaningless comments to threads, but that is only half of it, your behavior has some members objecting to you being here, so, stop using this identity. We don't need to know who you are, or where you are at.

Underneath your beliefs and ideologies as well as personality and intent you are identical to everyone in this forum, a human being, that is enough to get along, I would hope, but you prefer to harass, find out why and fix it in yourself. Its origin may have nothing to do with fault on your part, but the choice to continue to make this forum a less pleasant place is a choice, please choose the high road instead.

Last edited:
Well...... he comes across in every way as a troll so far, has from the beginning and has continued with the same. I don't disagree with that, but why he chooses to behave this way is nothing we can fix or may not be anything he wants to fix either. As long as he continues with either this behavior, or insisting we know he is back, just ban him. It won't be a solution though, I believe he likes being banned and returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.