Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mod my custom laser for 110outlet

Hey !

So back in 2015 I commissioned this guy Doug to make me a super powerful handheld blue laser. I believe it was either 5w or 6w. Anyway, the batteries SUPPOSEDLY were some ridiculous mAh level (9000 maybe? I can’t recall) but I could never find the batteries again after my original batteries died. I bought less powerful Li ion batteries which worked for a night but never again.

Long story short, Doug is MIA and I want to get my laser repaired before my next paintball big game For tailgating at night is awesome (5000 man 3 day event).

Anyone here can do it? Maybe MOD it so I can plug it into a 110 outlet?

Let me know!

Last edited:

That much power in a paint-ball event would be a poor idea-- unless blinding some eyes is your plan...

5 mW of 532 is very visible in daylight...

Encap

Paintball big game? LOL
Does that means you are an accident looking for a place to happen wanting to point a 5W or 6W laser at people during a paintball game?

Did you recharge the batteries you have recently and try them again?

Last edited:
That much power in a paint-ball event would be a poor idea-- unless blinding some eyes is your plan...

5 mW of 532 is very visible in daylight...

Crud. Should have clarified that. Its not for actually playing paintball. It’s for the tailgating at night. Big camping setups. Fireworks. All that. It’s called Skirmish Dday. People always use like crap lasers at night to point out stars.

Paintball big game? LOL
Does that means you are an accident looking for a place to happen wanting to point a 5W or 6W laser at people during a paintball game?

Did you recharge the batteries you have recently and try them again?

It’s for camping at the paintball site; not for actual playing. For actual playing I throw grinded up cayenne pepper. Joking

Yes, my lithium ion batteries no longer take a chrge. They were the red ones 9000 mah I believe 3.7

GSS

Hi,
Battery size??
Rich:)
Yup like Lifetime asked
There is no 9000 mah battery. Just a crazy high rating these cheap ultrafire's or some garbage red GTL's iv'e seen claim.
I'm guessing they are 18650 and the really top notch good ones do 2500 to 3000mah tops.

Yup like Lifetime asked
There is no 9000 mah battery. Just a crazy high rating these cheap ultrafire's or some garbage red GTL's iv'e seen claim.
I'm guessing they are 18650 and the really top notch good ones do 2500 to 3000mah tops.

Yes 18650 for sure. I couldn’t find a commensurate mah on amazon and started reading how the mah rating is probably all BS from China anyway. However, the original lithium ion batteries that came with my custom laser (although crap reviews online) lasted like 3 years.

That’s why I want to see if someone here can mod my laser so I can plug it into the 110 outlet on my truck.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Battery size was about same width and length of a AA.

As GSS mentioned, your batteries are probably 18650 cells, but an AA cell corresponds in size to an 14500 Li-Ion battery, which is 14mm in diameter, and 50mm long.

Last edited:

Encap

Yes 18650 for sure. I couldn’t find a commensurate mah on amazon and started reading how the mah rating is probably all BS from China anyway. However, the original lithium ion batteries that came with my custom laser (although crap reviews online) lasted like 3 years.

That’s why I want to see if someone here can mod my laser so I can plug it into the 110 outlet on my truck.

Try recharging the second set you said in the OP that lasted "one night" fully and see of they work.
If they don't charge, buy a new set of actual good quality batteries and try those.

Nobody has even seen the laser you are talking about nor ever request that type of mod on LPF, so post photos of the "super powerful handheld blue laser"and batteries and say what you budget for a mod is---it might help.

Last edited:
OP---any good reason for double posts 1 -2 min apart??
Use 'edit' with copy and paste&dele and combine those doubles into singles---and no more PLEASE!!

BTW did you make an intro post in the Welcome/Newcomers section--nobody is exempt from that.

A mod will do that if you do not--embarrassing --same 'rule' with necro posting allow dead threads to stay dead..

TYVM hak

Anthony P

18650 batteries are available at your local vape shop. It is important to understand that mAH are not the only factor to consider. Amperage available on demand is also important. You need to find the balance, as there is only so much room inside the battery... you can't have high mAH and high current at the same time.

Exactly--AA and 18650 are very different sizes-not even close to the same size
Is very unusual that someone who owns and has used a laser and bought a second set of batteries doesn't know the battery and recognize substancial/large size difference between AA and 18650
Starting to smell a bit like ...

Try recharging the second set you said in the OP that lasted "one night" fully and see of they work.
If they don't charge, buy a new set of actual good quality batteries and try those.

Nobody has even seen the laser you are talking about nor ever request that type of mod on LPF, so post photos of the "super powerful handheld blue laser"and batteries and say what you budget for a mod is---it might help.

Whoaaa Chill out with the pedantic rhetoric. LoL. I’m a neophyte when it comes to lasers. I don’t even have the laser on me right now. It’s at my summer home where there’s zero light pollution. I’ll post some pics and video if I can.

Batteries were for sure 18650 but the original batteries were red 18650 and 9000 mah. I ended up buying yellow 18650 batteries (2 sets) and they wouldn’t hold a charge.

Maybe the lithium ion batteries are just unreliable ?

OP---any good reason for double posts 1 -2 min apart??
Use 'edit' with copy and paste&dele and combine those doubles into singles---and no more PLEASE!!

BTW did you make an intro post in the Welcome/Newcomers section--nobody is exempt from that.

A mod will do that if you do not--embarrassing --same 'rule' with necro posting allow dead threads to stay dead..

TYVM hak

I made my account in 2015. I posted twice because I was responding to two people and the edit button wasn’t exactly noticeable on my iPhone.

If you live in the USA, try liionwholesale.com. They sell only actual new cells and test each one before shipping them out. I buy all my 18650s there. I do have some protected LGs that are rated at 3500 mAh and test every bit of that. They do only have a current draw of 5 amps though. To get a higher drain you need to go with unprotected cells.