Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mixing 445nm and 650nm

DJNY

What color do I get when I mix these two wavelengths? How big is the color difference between the 405nm&650nm magenta mix?

Mato92

I have tried to mix 405nm and 650nm and I got magneta color. But it was just pointing two lasers at the same place.

I suppose it will also depend on the power settings of each laser
as well...

Jerry

DJNY

Of course, but what spectrum I can get?

Anyone around who is able to build a 445nm&532nm cyan laser or do I should I have to go for an Argon?

DTR

Would it work like if you were mixing paints?
What do you get if you mix red and violet paint?

light is a little different from paints, as the sum off Red Green and Blue = white, whereas in paints, in the right values/saturations, should equal black.

it is not hard to dial in a ton of colors through analog modulation of 445nm 650nm and 532nm that are sitting in my white fusion, and i look forward to the IC control on FML's white fusion driver.

depending on the power of the two separate wavelengths, whether it be blue+red or red+green, you, or someone else, can attain what you are wanting.

445 = teh sauce for color mixing. seriously.

Canuke

I do this sort of thing by shining them into one side of an opaque white globe lamp and noting the mixed color on the other side.

With my ~200mW (estimated) 445nm blue and a 256mW IgorT red build, I get a nice even magenta color. When I combine the 650nm with an IgorT 360mW bluray, what I get is more akin to a hot pink. The pink appears more saturated to my eye than the magenta, but without varying the power ratios I don't know how useful that observation is.

Last edited:

Canuke

Of course, but what spectrum I can get?

Anyone around who is able to build a 445nm&532nm cyan laser or do I should I have to go for an Argon?

By "Spectrum" I take it you mean gamut? If so, you can approximate your gamut by using a CIE color diagram.

Find the laser wavelength of your primaries on the outside of the curve and mark them, and then draw straight lines between them. That is the gamut, the range of hues that is possible with those primaries. Two primaries yield a line segment; three yield a triangle.

As you can see, 445nm gives you a wider gamut than would 473 nm; the latter misses rendering the deepest blues and violets. Also, 515nm would be the best option for green (and I understand that's the wavelength being pursued for laser projection use), but for the moment we only have 532nm, which loses us a small area of the most saturated emeralds and cyans.

Nevertheless, a 650/532/445 combo is a great gamut, significantly wider than the regular sRGB one.