Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mini laser engraving machine

This is a miniature desktop CNC machine, which uses a moving bed for one axis, and a moving laser module for the other axis. The height (or y axis) is determined by the focal point of the 405nm laser, of which the power is not clear. It's stated as 500mW, which is of course believable but unsure if it's reliable or not. Unknown lens used. What I found really neat about this machine is that it's main structure is made of pure acrylic parts, and nuts and bolts.

The Machine:

Excuse the odd lighting lol

20syqdh.jpg

2dw6vme.jpg

axjpy1.jpg

405nm Laser module

9gx3z7.jpg

104rl05.jpg

USB port for power (plugging into a computer will disengage the port, high current wall adapter is needed), mini-USB port for data

Software:

The software is extremely easy to use, and hardly any bugs. Only bugs I've noticed are that the auto-connection feature fails every time and has yet to work, and that the program only looks for contrast when converting to B&W. Oh, and also the "movement" buttons serve no purpose, not sure what they're intended to do. Other than that, all functions work properly with little to no delay. Only thing I would wish for is more technical options. While I admire this program's simplicity (Especially for a CNC program), I feel like the user should still have access to some functions especially for image conversion for example a contrast rate/adjustment for converting as well as colour sensitivity, being able to add analyze colours as well rather than just contrast. Though one could say focusing on contrast first needs a colour analysis, but I'm basically referring to the ability to interpret colour.

28klhti.jpg

Main software dialog

11l6cyg.jpg

Image before converting

123y1j4.jpg

Image after converting

Victims of the Burn:

350m53b.jpg

rt0sg4.jpg

Engraved my name onto my Note 5 phone case... a bit crooked :shhh:

2vbs8j9.jpg

Tests

-E.P.

Last edited:

Rivem

These things are really neat. The CNC trays are from DVD systems which led to them coming out so cheap and being so easy.

Been tempted to buy one a few times, but I usually need a bigger working area. Maybe if I could refit a diode to nicely cut balsa.:thinking:

Thanks for the post!

ru124t

I have been waiting for a review on this. Thanks so much. One question, did you have to assemble it or was it already assembled ?

diachi

Cool! Had been wondering how well these little engravers performed, was looking at them a little while back. Seems you can't go wrong for the price! :D

Thanks for posting! :)

I had bought the pre-assembled version, but I believe the lower powered versions have to be assembled.

Rivem, I can't believe I didn't notice that! Now it's all I can see when I look at the thing :p works like a charm, though!

Rivem

Rivem, I can't believe I didn't notice that! Now it's all I can see when I look at the thing :p works like a charm, though!

Yeah. It's really a great idea to minimize costs and maximize the accuracy though. Otherwise, it'd be using original components like most 3d printers which isn't usually good.

I remember seeing the DIY project that inspired these things years ago worked exactly the same way. A few years after that, these things started popping up on Chinese sites at great prices. Really a nice thing to have for light duty "engraving" and cutting thin materials.