Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

mini dorcy laser help

tony70516 said:
buy a flexdrive from dr lava theyre nice

Yes I agree, there 30 USD shipped, pre-set to your current and you can change the current anytime you want (test load required)!

Spyderz20x6, ive bought the resistors from the link u gave me and i tried putting 2 of them in parallel and hooked it up to my mini dorcy and then my laser diode and there was a tiny red light :(. and then i tried using only one resistor(thinking it was resisting too much) and still the same thing happened. so now what i think my problem is, is that i have the wrong kind of diode. i got mine out of an old computer i had in my basement and yes it was a DVD BURNER cuz it sed REWRITABLE on it. im sure u have heard of the stonetek electronics website, will the Sony 16x dvd burner diode that they have on their website work? ya im sry im having all these problems and stuff. i have only basic experience with electronics. please reply!

CURTiS117 said:
Spyderz20x6, ive bought the resistors from the link u gave me and i tried putting 2 of them in parallel and hooked it up to my mini dorcy and then my laser diode and there was a tiny red light :(. and then i tried using only one resistor(thinking it was resisting too much) and still the same thing happened. so now what i think my problem is, is that i have the wrong kind of diode. i got mine out of an old computer i had in my basement and yes it was a DVD BURNER cuz it sed REWRITABLE on it. im sure u have heard of the  stonetek electronics website, will the Sony 16x dvd burner diode that they have on their website work? ya im sry im having all these problems and stuff. i have only basic experience with electronics. please reply!
Your diode is dead.
It was probably killed in the extraction.

The StoneTek diode will work great.

ok i will buy that ,diode maybe 2 idk. but do i put 2 resistors in parallel? or just use 1?

CURTiS117 said:
ok i will buy that ,diode maybe 2 idk. but do i put 2 resistors in parallel? or just use 1?
Parallel LOWERS the resistance.
Say, 2x 5 ohm resistors in parallel will be 2.5 ohms.
Just use a single 5 ohm resistor.
The StoneTek diode can handle it.

ok. i understand. but the resistors i bought said they were 2.2 ohm. are they really 5 ohm?

CURTiS117 said:
ok. i understand. but the resistors i bought said they were 2.2 ohm. are they really 5 ohm?
Measure it with a DMM.
If they are really 2.2 ohms, then put 2 of them in series.

ok. i have a DMM. wut setting would i put it on? sorry, but wut does put 2 of them in series mean?

CURTiS117 said:
ok. i have a DMM. wut setting would i put it on? sorry, but wut does put 2 of them in series mean?
You would put it on the "Ohm" setting.
It looks like a horseshoe (or the Omega sign).

Series means you would connect it like this:

--------||||--------||||---------

Parallel:

_ ||||-----_____
------_
||||-------

ok i tested it with a DMM and here is wut came up

200: 03.0
2000: 005
20k: 0.01
200k:00.0
2000k:000

i dont know which specific setting so i just tested it under all of them on the ohms setting. from wut is says above, is it a 5 ohm resistor? and u know how i sed i put to in parallel? well i actually did put them like this -------||||--------||||-------.
i must have just typed wrong and said that. sry

Just a shot in the dark, but are you sure you didn't accidentally get the IR diode? That would explain why the light was very dim...

Can you draw an MSPaint pic of how you hooked it up each time?

im pretty sure i didnt get the IR one cuz the one i got was the only one in the whole DVD burner.

Attachments

• dorcy_002.JPG
    dorcy_002.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 75
If there are only 3 pins on the diode you have, then it is not the only diode that was in there. How many pins does yours have? Dvd burners generally have a red diode and an ir diode. But in some cases they could put a red/ir diode with probably 4 pins on it. If you have a red/ir diode, make sure you are connecting the red lead and not the ir lead.

At this point, I would recommend that you invest in a driver or 2, and get a Stonetek or LPC diode - Jake is doing a mini-buy for them, or if you would like a violet one instead, I have several of the PHR-803T diodes in stock. I doubt that by continuing to do the same thing again and again you will do anything more than waste more diodes.

Look in the B/S/T section and you may well just snap up a good deal!

charlie bruce said:
At this point, I would recommend that you invest in a driver or 2, and [highlight]get a Stonetek or LPC diode [/highlight]- Jake is doing a mini-buy for them, or if you would like a violet one instead, I have several of the PHR-803T diodes in stock. I doubt that by continuing to do the same thing again and again you will do anything more than waste more diodes.

Look in the B/S/T section and you may well just snap up a good deal!
The stonetek diode will last a long time with only one 5ohm resistor. It ends up being around 200mA which is what I stated earlier.

Good Luck

the diode i got had 3 pins. i checked the diode sled that i got out of the DVD burner and i didnt find any other ones. i dont think i wana buy another diode because im too worried that it wont work or i will do something wrong and i would have wasted 20$