Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Might be a stupid question but,,,

As the subject states It might be a stupid question,but,,, I saw a 780nm 5mw laser pointer for sale. Why would you want a 780nm pointer? can't see it no power to burn things. what's the point. Can animals see that wavelenght?

Reactions: GSS

I'm sure some animal can... But I don't think many can, and even less so do I think there a need for a pointer for whatever animal that may be.

I'm thinking maybe night vision has a use? At least as far as a pointer goes, that's all I can think of. It does have other practical uses outside of a pointer standpoint

well i do own a 110mw 780nm laser that i made it alone when i first started the hobby,it has a cherry red dot that i can see clearly(looks like a 1mw red laser) inside my room.sometimes i use it on a dark room just for the unique color and besides that it doesn't have more uses at least to me.

I am going to order one at laserlands I have had great luck with their stuff. I love their 400mw 532 I got one and it is wonderful ran it for 1 hour and no faulure. the 780nm I want to get is 150mw 14bucks I think i will get it Yes I remember when I defeated the interlock on a CD walkman I saw the lens on the laser go up and down and you can see a crimson color glow coming from it and it is a nice color. If you can see that crimson colord dot at 100mw then I want to get one. what's there to lose only 13 and change.

This question is off topic but not worth making a new thread.
Problem is I would like to make my laser66 pen power button board to function by pressing once for on and again for off.
Is this already available retail in this specific form factor?
If not
Can I use the laser66 board and buy the components needed?
If true
Elaborate and bestow your wisdom upon me like I’m 5 years old.

This question is off topic but not worth making a new thread.
Problem is I would like to make my laser66 pen power button board to function by pressing once for on and again for off.
Is this already available retail in this specific form factor?
If not
Can I use the laser66 board and buy the components needed?
If true
Elaborate and bestow your wisdom upon me like I’m 5 years old.

I have no idea on that. HOWEVER I have a 532 laser pen I wanted to have on hands free and I bought clips kinda like the ones you use to reclose potato chip bags. and I clamped it on the power button and it worked for me and much lower tech. That is if you are wanting to use the laser hands free.

I have no idea on that. HOWEVER I have a 532 laser pen I wanted to have on hands free and I bought clips kinda like the ones you use to reclose potato chip bags. and I clamped it on the power button and it worked for me and much lower tech. That is if you are wanting to use the laser hands free.

...they are considered dangerous due to the dim output and our own BAD HABIT of years of pointing our flashlights into our eyes when they are dead or dying... seen it too many times.. off-on off on- smack it on your palm then aim at your eyes and off-on some more... caught myself doing that when a IR JL was sent to me in error--the guy in London got my 300-532 PL-C and liked it so much he opted to just keep it--

Gray accepted my offer to sell the IR JL and use that to buy the 532--

however Kenon put up a few he had and so cheap nobody wanted the JL IR--and Gray said-go ahead and keep it--'your 300/532 should be there in 3 days'--and it was--THAT was how I got so deeply involved with Gray and JL and the subsequent +10 Group buys for >100 lasers... best quality and awesome customer assistance... try one!! I have some to ship free --PM me

back when green pens were $40 I killed one on DAY ONE- by ignoring the suggested duty/rest cycle.. there is no way adequate heat sinking in a pen pointer.. I never run one more than a minute--then rest it for 2 or more. :tsk:

Gadget is soon making heat sinks to slide on your pointer --and likely scratch the paint-- its a trade-off ???twhistle:

Last edited:

Benm

780 nm seems like they are just making a pointer using the diode from a CD player or perhaps writer. If it's actually under 5 mW probably just a player.

I can't think of many uses for it. Animals, including humans, can see this wavelength, although it appears to be -very- dim for the power level involved (comparable to 808 nm pump diodes for green lasers).

A niche application could be to use it a laser targetting device on a gun when hunting at night, looking at your target through night vision goggles which often pick up this wavelength very well.

I doubt it'd be the best solution though as you will be somewhat visible to the target, and for thing like military use a 1064 nm laser would be more desirable.

Then again, if you have night vision gear and are an amateur night hunter it could prove useful. Otherwise do not order devices like this, they are very dangerous in the wrong hands. Any idiot will shine it straight into his eye to figure out why the light is so dim ;)

I agree that invisable lasers are very very dangerous especailly 1064 nm I would like one for my collection.

That wavelength is so dim to our eyes, it might as well be invisible. It is a useful wavelength for night vision, but you will need a CMOS camera or night vision one to see it well. Unless you have a need for this, it is an accident waiting to happen. You won't be impressed by the color or the dim output at 100+ mW. It will likely end up blinding someone.

Last edited:
Even if the pointer is labeled "danger invisible infrared radiation WILL BLIND" they are still hazardous. Something like that ought to have some kind of key code to turn it on like WL has done with their EVO, although that isn't really difficult to get working, it does take more trouble than a simple push on-off.

I see a lot of coherent 40w 808nm modules on ebay,,,,, Now those are scary. I hope no one lost their eyes playing with one of them... I have a nice medical ND YAG 1064 flashlamp deal.. but I never messed with it. never will I got it for almost nothing and I keeop the head on the shelf cause it looks so cool.