Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Mid life crisis?

blazer

Hello,

I found myself here after finding a box full of my old projects in the garage none of them lasers mostly alarm clocks, power supplies and a large amount of tangled wire that my mom had given me last year. After this discovery I started to realize how much knowledge and passion for electronics I have lost and at a time when I am mature enough to use and understand it. I am a total newbie to lasers and will keep my questions to a minimum and will use the search tool to find my answers. I appreciate the time and collective knowledge the user of this forum have given and look forward to enjoying this new adventure in my life.

Thank you,

Hi blazer! Welcome to the forums! If you're looking to buy your first laser there's no better place than the B/S/T section here on the forums :D

Remember, safety first! :wave:

Hello,

I found myself here after finding a box full of my old projects in the garage none of them lasers mostly alarm clocks, power supplies and a large amount of tangled wire that my mom had given me last year. After this discovery I started to realize how much knowledge and passion for electronics I have lost and at a time when I am mature enough to use and understand it. I am a total newbie to lasers and will keep my questions to a minimum and will use the search tool to find my answers. I appreciate the time and collective knowledge the user of this forum have given and look forward to enjoying this new adventure in my life.

Thank you,

I've found that using the google site: function is far easier than the search function built into the boards.

site:laserpointerforums.com green lasers

into google as an example. Hope that helps!

Don't be afraid to ask questions if there is something you don't understand or can't figure out - some of the vets around here also take kindly to being asked questions in personal messages.

Tyler

Welcome to the forums! From what i've read you seem like you've read the rules already! Be sure to read the stickies as well if you haven't already. Enjoy your stay.

sinner

Hello,

---------. I appreciate the time and collective knowledge the user of this forum have given and look forward to enjoying this new adventure in my life.

It sure is an adventure if you're upto it.. Welcome :wave:

welcome.gif
to the Forum.... blazer

Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..
http://laserpointerforums.com/tou.htm

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and PLEASE don't forget to read to this....

39 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Don't forget to put your location in your Profile if you
haven't yet done so. This way we know where you
are from.

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

blazer

Thank you for all the information I am ready to purchase my first laser and begin researching a build for a UV laser to use at work for illuminating a UV reactive dye we use for finding leaks and I am sure to have questions on that when the time comes.

Thank you for all the information I am ready to purchase my first laser and begin researching a build for a UV laser to use at work for illuminating a UV reactive dye we use for finding leaks and I am sure to have questions on that when the time comes.

UV lasers scare me. Can't they cause cancer :confused:

Welcome! A 405nm purple should work just fine for that you don't need anything really powerful at all, if you go over 5mw you should where glasses which block that wavelength which means you might not see it light up. you can get a $5 ebay pen that will do the trick. check out this

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/blu-ray-405nm-uv-fluorescence-glow-kit-new-improved-75183.html

Hi, welcome to the forum! I'm relatively new as well, and i live kentucky too! There is alot of info and helpful people around. Enjoy your stay!
Yeah, the generic 405nm pointer listed in my signature i got at 405nm.com, which the link above shows a thread about the stuff on that site. It's very nice for fluoresence.

Last edited:

blazer

mhemling33- that is what I was thinking but buying a $5 ebay pen takes all the fun out of it I am thinking of a more custom piece using but leds and a laser to help pinpiont leaks.

ChaosLord- I live down the road in Rineyville I can wait to get a nice list under my post.. Have you found anywhere in louisville that sells electronics that are usefull in laser building?

Well, not much except standard stuff. Radio shack is the only place i have found for basic electronic components. Good for getting diodes and such for building a test load, and thermal compound for heat sinking. Hobby lobby has some prisms and other cool things to use with lasers, as well as epoxy and copper and aluminum tubes and sheets. Home depot has been good for getting DIY heatsinking.
Definately check out this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/i-want-build-laser-thread-52972.html#!/exjun_
DTR's shop is where i have gotten prewired diodes: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home
He's an awesome member of the forum, very pleasant to deal with.
Hakzaw1 has also been very helpful with all my questions. You can pm me if you have questions too.

Just be sure to get some safety glasses if you get into building these lasers.

Have fun!
John

blazer

Don’t worry the safety glasses are a must I am the safety coordinator at work so I understand the importance of eye safety. I am getting anxious to built my own laser but want to be sure I am fully ready before I do so maybe another month on here to fully familiarize myself with all this information should minimize my mistakes and frustrations.

Thanks,

Brian

That's a good plan. I spent a few month researching before i started my first build. Just finished it monday night. It's not pretty, but it works. :beer: