Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Micro USB Rechargable Li-Ion Batteries from Fenix

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I received an email today from the Fenix Store, and I noticed that they were advertising two new Fenix batteries, a 18650, and a 16340.
These two Fenix batteries are both rechargable with an integral micro USB plug. I've seen lights and other items with USB battery packs before, but this is the first time I've seen these individual cells
This charging capability adds about 5mm in overall length to the cells. This added length will definitely restrict the use of these to longer units.
These could be handy in situatons where you don't have the availability of a charger. :yh:

Below are a couple of screenshots of the batteries from their site.

UqeKFCn.png

Ccswb4F.png

Last edited:

Very cool!! Might end up getting one, pretty pricey though. Thanks for sharing, good looking product here :yh:

BobMc

That is really trick!! Could come in real handy like when you have a one cell laser you carry with you and don't want to lug a battery charger around. Nice !

Hmm. That is different. IDK, I have so many good chargers I personally can't see a use for them. But, who knows, maybe sometime I'll make something that this would work well with.

They are clearly lying about capacity. I would avoid them on that alone.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That is really trick!! Could come in real handy like when you have a one cell laser you carry with you and don't want to lug a battery charger around. Nice !

That's what I was thinking, maybe a little EDC laser that you always carry, or maybe something like star pointer, that dies when out in the field.
It seems to be one of those things that come along that you didn't know you needed, but once it's available, you seem to find a use for it! :D

One important point is that you need to be aware of it's extra length!

Hmm. That is different. IDK, I have so many good chargers I personally can't see a use for them. But, who knows, maybe sometime I'll make something that this would work well with.
personally I have to 2nd that.....

They are clearly lying about capacity. I would avoid them on that alone.
Yes you would think with the added stuff they would have to have less capacity then a normal battery of the same size ?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
personally I have to 2nd that.....

Yes you would think with the added stuff they would have to have less capacity then a normal battery of the same size ?

They may very well be exagerating the capacity, at least on the 18650 size, their 16340 version seems to be a more legitimate claim at 700mAh capacity.

They don't necessarily have to have less capacity than a "normal" battery, since the "added stuff" is what makes these 70mm long vs. 65mm long for a standard 18650 cell.

If I hear of any proper testing on these, I'll post it in this thread.

They may very well be exagerating the capacity, at least on the 18650 size, their 16340 version seems to be a more legitimate claim at 700mAh capacity.

They don't necessarily have to have less capacity than a "normal" battery, since the "added stuff" is what makes these 70mm long vs. 65mm long for a standard 18650 cell.

If I hear of any proper testing on these, I'll post it in this thread.
wouldn't that make them 18700 cells then ?

BobMc

That's what I was thinking, maybe a little EDC laser that you always carry, or maybe something like star pointer, that dies when out in the field.
It seems to be one of those things that come along that you didn't know you needed, but once it's available, you seem to find a use for it! :D

One important point that you need to be aware of it's extra length!

I agree, for my little EDC. I carry a Sanwu Guardain as mine, it takes the 18350's, I think I might just pick up a couple of the 16340's and give them a shot. Know the run time will be less. But the question is how much less. :thinking:. What the heck their not that expensive. I let you know. :)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, be sure and let us know. It looks like the 16340 size is not all that much longer than your 18350's, and you're right, those 16340's aren't all that expensive! :)

BobMc

Yes, be sure and let us know. It looks like the 16340 size is not all that much longer than your 18350's, and you're right, those 16340's aren't all that expensive! :)

Bummers, just went to their site to order a couple and they just have place where you can pre-orders but nothing ready to go :( . Have to check back later. I going give these a go! :)

Edit, the expected release date is March 31st.

Edit again, what the heck, I just pre-ordered two, grand total of 13.90 think I can live with that. :D

Last edited:
Aren't the 16340's shorter than the 18350's ?

With the 16340's being 34mm long vs The 18350's being 35mm long ?

Or am I wrong with how the number system works ?

Last edited:

BobMc

Aren't the 16340's shorter than the 18350's ?

With the 16340's being 34mm long vs The 18350's being 35mm long ?

Or am I wrong with how the number system works ?

Yes, the 16340's are a tad shorter and narrower but most units that take 18350 can run on 16340's. Hoping with the charging circuit the length will be enough where I won't need to use battery magnets .

Yes, the 16340's are a tad shorter and narrower but most units that take 18350 can run on 16340's. Hoping with the charging circuit the length will be enough where I won't need to use battery magnets .
Oh you had me confused when you said
the 16340 size is not all that much longer than your 18350's
For a second I thought I didn't understand how the Li-ion size number system worked, You had me going there...... :undecided:

BobMc

Oh you had me confused when you said For a second I thought I didn't understand how the Li-ion size number system worked, You had me going there...... :undecided:

Where do I say the 16340's were longer than the 18350's ???

Only in your post. :(

I said the " the 16340's were a tad shorter" you can check yourself ???

Edit, I see what you did, you accounted Bowtie's post as mine. Easy mistake, life happens . :)

Last edited: