Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Members that wear glasses

HI ALL, This was an idea that just popped in my head one day when my wife broke the temple piece of her glasses, just before the hinge, leaving the hinge still attached to the front frame piece. We tried SUPER GLUE, TAPE, HOT GLUE, etc. to no avail. Then it hit me. I went to my laser supplies with the glasses in hand & brought out my box of various sized shrink tubing pcs. I selected a couple of CLEAR tubing pcs. with one the next size larger than the other, which was the size of the temple pc. I threaded the small one on 1st, pushing it over the broken section, & up & over the hinge till it would go no further. I heated the tubing with a butane lighter & it snugged the broken pc. into place just fine. I then threaded the 2nd pc. on & over the 1st pc. heated it & shrank it onto the 1st pc. I wound up with a perfectly usable pair of glasses for my wife, the ONLY drawback being that the repaired side naturally won't flex closed. Using clear tubing makes the repair almost unnoticeable & has held up for over 6 months now. It's NOT a permanent fix but I'm sure that it'll hold till you can get a replacement ordered, & looks a whole lot better than tape, or anything else. Just an FYI..............rob

I had to repair the hinge as well but I used solder. I took bare wire from those garbage bag ties and wrapped it around and the solder clanged onto it. Pretty strong.

Any pics?

I STILL haven't acquired a camera yet Jay. I'll get one someday. When I'm caught up on the mountain of bills I live under. lol rob
BTW, you're solution will work for metal framed glasses but not if they're plastic.

Last edited:
yeah, super glue is always too messy and any little bit on the lenses will forever damage them. ive had the same prolblem on many many...many occasions.