Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Melles Griot 561nm Lab laser

Yea, i think I am more impressed by your meter o_O how much did that set you back?
edit: see some on ebay for a few hundred. Not bad. Does yours only read up to 2W?

Last edited:
yeah. they're normally about 500 bucks or so. I got mine for I think 400 or something new shape. often they don't come calibrated perfectly and with the filter, sometimes without a sensor, so double check.

I got it when the old lab closed down, so I took it with me to keep it from being trashed.

Mine is calibrated for up to 2W, but the sensor goes to 3W.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've played with it and I think it's a preset OEM controller, which is why I can't adjust the settings. But if I connect it and let it idle (laser off, but with power) for a long time, then turn it on, I get better performance. It becomes TEM00 and it's power climbs. I suspect that the target temps are set incorrectly (for another head), and the TECs run even when the laser is off, so I end up with a slightly pre-cooled cavity.

These heads are nice. Rock solid stable, and they have TEC ramping, which is nice to shorten the warmup time drastically, but still give it a nice slow start over a few seconds. It's very bright even during the day.

Last edited:
So what does it level off to when you let the head run without pump power and then later turn on the pump?

That's not bad at all. If it were mine I'd probably crack it open and manually drive it though.

What an interesting toy ;)

This is why we are friends, haha.

Interested in seeing where this goes. I am finally able to start my DPSS journey now :) Also, got some "dead" 473 heads from Sam on the way. I'll likely be in contact with you about them. Should be fun :)

To clarify. I meant that we had similar interests. Not that we had toys. We like to tinker, and align things. Though maybe I am the latter.

'Nuff thread-jacking on my part :)

Enjoy the 561! Race to DIY 604/607? ;)

Indeed. I know how to do the 607 process, but finding parts would be a challenge. I'm on Skype a lot so anyone wanting to chat, that's the best way to get ahold of me. As for driving the head manually, I could, but I don't need to open it to do that. I'd just have to identify the pin out on the head. But I see no need to. It's enough power for me. I have a bigger project taking off in the form of a new white light laser.

It's just like yours actually. A melles griot 643-75 RYB deciding the best way to power it.