Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

FrozenGate by Avery

Marble for build hosts?

The only way to build a host using marble is you must first create a host just a plain host basically 2X18650 or 1X18650 after you are done you can add 2 components glue on the host and slide the marble over it that is the only way to have a marble host, For the end cap you can make it thin and also glue a round marble on it or make it thiner in the middle and add marble so its flushed with the end cap it will look just like in the picture

Last edited:

The only way to build a host using marble is you must first create a host just a plain host basically 2X18650 or 1X18650 after you are done you can add 2 components glue on the host and slide the marble over it that is the only way to have a marble host, For the end cap you can make it thin and also glue a round marble on it or make it thiner in the middle and add marble so its flushed with the end cap it will look just like in the picture
I have read the various answers, I realize that it is difficult to realize this host, both for costs and for a health factor, I would never want a person to get cancer, in my opinion the only solution is that of Alien Laser, or to give a marble effect to the host, just apply a sort of high-strength adhesive coating with a marble color, even in different colors.

I’m going make this up so……
Cut the marble on a rock saw to eight sides or more. Ie as round as possible to start. Drill a hole as centered as you can. Insert a metal rod dipped in expoxy and let it dry. Place in a lathe or large mounted drill. At moderate speed push a piece of abrasive plate as long at the piece you want and let it contact the marble. When it stops making a sound push it in a mm more. Continue until it is round. Ps while flooding the material with water.

Place in a lathe and center drill. Might be bette4 to center drill first while thick.

Something like that. Gentle press long time lots of water.

Go to a quarry and get a core of a piece of marble. That would be round to start with.

The safest way I can see of you obtaining a marble host would be to solely have a marble exterior. Get a thermally conductive material like aluminium, brass or copper in tube form. This will not only combat the thermal and electrical conductivity issues, but will act as a support material for the marble. And then the best way of getting the marble pieces would be waterjet marble slabs layered up to form the outer tube. I've seen 25mm marble slabs waterjet cut before. So I mocked up a very quick brass/marble host using 3x 25mm slabs.

1729598198847.png
1729598483705.png

I’m going make this up so……
Cut the marble on a rock saw to eight sides or more. Ie as round as possible to start. Drill a hole as centered as you can. Insert a metal rod dipped in expoxy and let it dry. Place in a lathe or large mounted drill. At moderate speed push a piece of abrasive plate as long at the piece you want and let it contact the marble. When it stops making a sound push it in a mm more. Continue until it is round. Ps while flooding the material with water.

Place in a lathe and center drill. Might be bette4 to center drill first while thick.

Something like that. Gentle press long time lots of water.

Go to a quarry and get a core of a piece of marble. That would be round to start with.
In short, I understand that this idea is also feasible, perhaps I should make a clarification to all of you who have read and responded to this thread, I think there has been a bit of confusion.

The safest way I can see of you obtaining a marble host would be to solely have a marble exterior. Get a thermally conductive material like aluminium, brass or copper in tube form. This will not only combat the thermal and electrical conductivity issues, but will act as a support material for the marble. And then the best way of getting the marble pieces would be waterjet marble slabs layered up to form the outer tube. I've seen 25mm marble slabs waterjet cut before. So I mocked up a very quick brass/marble host using 3x 25mm slabs.

View attachment 78966
View attachment 78967

Nice performance Curtis, at least it gives an idea of what we have been discussing and talking about for days.

It is good that I clarify a very important and fundamental thing, before a written fight or a misunderstanding breaks out, I Night Lase, *never* wrote or said that I could personally make this sort of marble host, I only expressed in letters, what had been my thought for a long time, I personally do not own a metal lathe, I do not know how to use it, but from your answers, I am realizing that what I thought is feasible, but not with a few headaches, so I asked by writing several times if anyone good with the lathe would feel like making at least one as a *test*, of course as illustrated by Encap, that working with marble involves serious health risks, perhaps the best thing is that this idea of mine, remains only in my head, making me dream of something beautiful but unattainable.

The issue here is that you wouldn't want to machine the marble on the metal lathe. However, I found a workaround.

And it would require outsourcing to two different processes.

Centre Lathe and Water Jet.

You could get a machinist to lathe you an ordinary host but with the allowance of adding marble sleeves. This would be no more difficult than any other laser host.

You then enlist a waterjet company to cut out some hollow disks of marble which you could then slide onto the host.

No more health and safety dangers to consider, no headaches. Just cost.

Holy crap Curtis, thanks for existing, you found the right solution, you're great! well, sure everything has a cost, but in the end I'm happy because thanks to you the unattainable has become reachable.

Holy crap Curtis, thanks for existing, you found the right solution, you're great! well, sure everything has a cost, but in the end I'm happy because thanks to you the unattainable has become reachable.
No problem.
You just need to get into contact with a waterjet company and find out what design constraints they have and then get a quote.

You need to make sure they are able to cut marble at small dimensions. For the knock-up I used 28mm OD, 20mm ID with 4mm wall thickness for the marble pieces. And I used material 25mm thick.

Your dimensions will obviously be dependant on your own design. And what marble you are able to cut. 25mm thick may be too thick for some companies to handle.

Hey the purpose of a forum and community is to discuss these things. Don't feel bad for asking questions. I think having some marble on a host is an awesome idea. I wouldn't mind having one.

Back