Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

making fog

DIY smoke machine is actually not hard. All you need is a small piston action pump to inject fluid from the reservoir into a heated tube (not sure of temperature) and then let that follow on into a larger chamber which then goes out the nozzle.

amkdeath said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1205801947/0#10 date=1205804637]For quick smoke buy some powdered stump remover and mix it with sugar 50/50. Light it and you will have a ton of smoke.

Edit: Oops, just realized you need it indoors. Light a few matches, you would be surprised how much smoke a few matches can make.

erhmn... a BADLY proportioned KNO3 smoke bomb would certainly SCREW your house over LOL!!!
[/quote]
Yeah yeah I know that formula sucks ;D But when I'm too lazy to break out the scale and weigh out the chemicals I make something I call "eyeball smoke mix". Throw the two in 50/50 by volume (ooo just broke a pyro rule here), stick in a wick and you have instant smoke.

rlp92

i think ill stick with buying a fog machine instead of mixing up formulas

Need to find a cheap 20-30$ fog machine that works well :)

Ace82

What I do, is I have a electric griddle. I have small fan that I blow on it with from about 2'. I boil fog juice on it. At first it doesn't seem to do anything, but after 30min, the entire house is fogged up! you have to add to it every 5min or so, but it works extremely well.

rlp92

o ye ill try that, i got an electric griddle

only 2 questions:

Can i use my own made fog juice , water+ glycol

Will the fog that i make like this make the fire alarms go off?

Ace82

Not sure, I've only used professional store bought fog juice. And I have yet to make a fire alarm go off, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

WarezWally said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1205801947/15#15 date=1205817065][quote author=styropyro link=1205801947/0#10 date=1205804637]For quick smoke buy some powdered stump remover and mix it with sugar 50/50. Light it and you will have a ton of smoke.

Edit: Oops, just realized you need it indoors. Light a few matches, you would be surprised how much smoke a few matches can make.

erhmn... a BADLY proportioned KNO3 smoke bomb would certainly SCREW your house over LOL!!!

first of all, if you dont heat it over a stove and melt it all together, you will have a LOT of this white, hot residue going around, something HARD to clean. it also has a HOT and BIG flame... and have fun trying to get the smoke out...

BTW, its 3 parts KNO3, 2 parts Sugar. brown sugar works best. if you are doing it over a stove, add around .5 to 1 part baking soda/powder, it slows combustion and results in more smoke. Also, if doing over stove, powdered dye may be added for effects.

I suggest making this stuff OUTSIDE on an ELECTRIC SKILLET!!! trust me, I have tried a gas stove, LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE PLEASE!!! I almost blew up the propane tank, and almost lit the house on fire!

KNO3 = potassium nitrate = grants stump remover = salt peter (stump remover has small amounts of KNO3)

I get my KNO3 from ebay. preety cheap.

also, dont inhale the stuff. 2 reasons why:

Your heart will stop beating if you get too much of it

and

it is known to halt and nullify the male sex drive.... (I read this somewhere on some voodo/potions site) maybe it does it by killing you? ;D ;D

regards,

amk

NOW, back on topic. I would also love to know how to make a DIY smoke machine[/quote]

1. Don't do it inside on the stove.
2. Don't add baking soda.
3. Don't add dye, KNSU burns way to hot for any dyes to vaporise.
4. The smoke is non-toxic, it wont kill you.
5. It does not affect the male sex drive, thats a myth.
6. KNSU is pretty inert, you could probably eat it and be fine.

Using a 60/35/5 ratio of sucrose / dextrose, potassium nitrate, paraffin wax and a dash of water mix together well and heat it slowly *outside* until it starts coming together. Be sure to spoon it out before the sugar caramelizes as that will greatly affect performance. Do not add bi-carb, this just makes it crap, if you want add +2 parts red iron oxide for greater burning speed.

Its a pretty crap smoke composition, remove the iron oxide and paraffin and it makes decent rocket fuel.

Just buy a roll of visco fuse and cut off 2" pieces and use those, cheaper and it smells better :)[/quote]

NONONONO!!

thats R-candy, and a cheap kind of r-candy. r-candy is good for rockets (re-crystallized potassium nitrate) and its cleaner, but not as much smoke. I was talking about inhaling KNO3 itself. that will stop your heart from beating. I know this for a fact. the smoke, however is non-toxic, but it doe make you cough...
If you want to make R candy, then yes, don't add baking soda or dye.
I HAVE DONE powdered organic dye from my local grocery store in a KNO3 SMOKE BOMB and it does work. unless you are making R-candy, add baking soda and dye.

a better formula for r-candy is:
Karo syrup
Water
Sugar
KNO3

add some Fe2O3 (ferric oxide, or Iron (III) oxide, AKA rust) to finalize the rocket candy, as its being made. I have no tried this, but I hear its good. look on youtube for howmany parts to add.

look on you-tube for the proportions, I dont remember well. and if you want rocket fuel the way wally said it, keep the paraffin in there. although I do believe you have to mess around with the proportions.

REMEMBER: IF YOU DON'T ADD THE RIGHT PARTS OF EVERYTHING, IT WILL COME OUT AS CRAP!!!

although one thing is right, the visco fuse works well, and just buy some to have (www.pyrocreations.com), they make good firecrackers, mini-"m-80's" and mini-rockets. (by mini rocket i mean like 30-50feet, if you make it REALLY good. if not, it will go around 10-20.

I use a small whistling rocket. I take out the powder + a match and put it in a lid ot small container (open of course) and ignite it with my laser (it's dead now). It makes a bright flash and a cloud of smoke thay doesn't smell much.

amkdeath said:
[quote author=WarezWally link=1205801947/15#16 date=1205821886][quote author=amkdeath link=1205801947/15#15 date=1205817065][quote author=styropyro link=1205801947/0#10 date=1205804637]For quick smoke buy some powdered stump remover and mix it with sugar 50/50. Light it and you will have a ton of smoke.

first of all, if you dont heat it over a stove and melt it all together, you will have a LOT of this white, hot residue going around, something HARD to clean. it also has a HOT and BIG flame... and have fun trying to get the smoke out...

BTW, its 3 parts KNO3, 2 parts Sugar. brown sugar works best. if you are doing it over a stove, add around .5 to 1 part baking soda/powder, it slows combustion and results in more smoke. Also, if doing over stove, powdered dye may be added for effects.

I suggest making this stuff OUTSIDE on an ELECTRIC SKILLET!!! trust me, I have tried a gas stove, LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE PLEASE!!! I almost blew up the propane tank, and almost lit the house on fire!

KNO3 = potassium nitrate = grants stump remover = salt peter (stump remover has small amounts of KNO3)

and

it is known to halt and nullify the male sex drive.... (I read this somewhere on some voodo/potions site) maybe it does it by killing you? ;D ;D

regards,

amk

NOW, back on topic. I would also love to know how to make a DIY smoke machine[/quote]

Using a 60/35/5 ratio of sucrose / dextrose, potassium nitrate, paraffin wax and a dash of water mix together well and heat it slowly *outside* until it starts coming together. Be sure to spoon it out before the sugar caramelizes as that will greatly affect performance. Do not add bi-carb, this just makes it crap, if you want add +2 parts red iron oxide for greater burning speed.

Its a pretty crap smoke composition, remove the iron oxide and paraffin and it makes decent rocket fuel.

Just buy a roll of visco fuse and cut off 2" pieces and use those, cheaper and it smells better :)[/quote]

NONONONO!!

thats R-candy, and a cheap kind of r-candy. r-candy is good for rockets (re-crystallized potassium nitrate) and its cleaner, but not as much smoke. I was talking about inhaling KNO3 itself. that will stop your heart from beating. I know this for a fact. the smoke, however is non-toxic, but it doe make you cough...
I HAVE DONE powdered organic dye from my local grocery store in a KNO3 SMOKE BOMB and it does work. unless you are making R-candy, add baking soda and dye.

Karo syrup
Water
Sugar
KNO3

add some Fe2O3 (ferric oxide, or Iron (III) oxide, AKA rust) to finalize the rocket candy, as its being made. I have no tried this, but I hear its good. look on youtube for howmany parts to add.

look on you-tube for the proportions, I dont remember well. and if you want rocket fuel the way wally said it, keep the paraffin in there. although I do believe you have to mess around with the proportions.

REMEMBER: IF YOU DON'T ADD THE RIGHT PARTS OF EVERYTHING, IT WILL COME OUT AS CRAP!!!

although one thing is right, the visco fuse works well, and just buy some to have (www.pyrocreations.com), they make good firecrackers, mini-"m-80's" and mini-rockets. (by mini rocket i mean like 30-50feet, if you make it REALLY good. if not, it will go around 10-20. [/quote]

Inhaling KNO3 will not stop your heart! Although you will get lung problems (breath any solid in large amounts and you will have problems)

My ratio listed is the best for smoke generation, adding paraffin wax increases the output . You do not add paraffin if you are making rocket fuel, I don't know where you got that from.

Adding organic dyes with sodium bi-carbonate does not work, it burns way to hot and the dyes just burn up instead of vaporising. Feel free to prove me wrong (there is a video out there that claims to do it but the user has been proven to be full of shit) I have made real colored smoke using chlorate compositions and its not fun, the dye goes everywhere.

60/35/5 ratio of sucrose, potassium nitrate, paraffin wax is the best possible smoke mix you can make. Although mixing sugar and potassium nitrate in a 50/50 ratio works perfectly fine.

WarezWally said:
[quote author=amkdeath link=1205801947/15#24 date=1205857824][quote author=WarezWally link=1205801947/15#16 date=1205821886][quote author=amkdeath link=1205801947/15#15 date=1205817065][quote author=styropyro link=1205801947/0#10 date=1205804637]For quick smoke buy some powdered stump remover and mix it with sugar 50/50. Light it and you will have a ton of smoke.

and

regards,

amk

NONONONO!!

Karo syrup
Water
Sugar
KNO3

although one thing is right, the visco fuse works well, and just buy some to have (www.pyrocreations.com), they make good firecrackers, mini-"m-80's" and mini-rockets. (by mini rocket i mean like 30-50feet, if you make it REALLY good. if not, it will go around 10-20. [/quote]

Inhaling KNO3 will not stop your heart! Although you will get lung problems (breath any solid in large amounts and you will have problems)

My ratio listed is the best for smoke generation, adding paraffin wax increases the output . You do not add paraffin if you are making rocket fuel, I don't know where you got that from.

Adding organic dyes with sodium bi-carbonate does not work, it burns way to hot and the dyes just burn up instead of vaporising. Feel free to prove me wrong (there is a video out there that claims to do it but the user has been proven to be full of shit) I have made real colored smoke using chlorate compositions and its not fun, the dye goes everywhere.

60/35/5 ratio of sucrose, potassium nitrate, paraffin wax is the best possible smoke mix you can make. Although mixing sugar and potassium nitrate in a 50/50 ratio works perfectly fine.[/quote]

dude, too much potassium will stop your heat, or slow its beating. depends on how much you get.

I HAVE done colored smoke. it works.

also, rocket fuel is my karo syrup recipe as stated above. I dont know where you get your paraffin recipe from...

its like napalm. depends on how you like it, and how you like to make it. for those non-pyro geeks out there, think of it as: "I say potato, you say po-taa-toe"

I dont plan on changing the way I do it, because I know it works

BACK ON TOPIC::

I just ordered a smoke machine (400watt) for $18.00 + shipping, came out to $25. I got smoke fluid from a website for $13 shipped.

cant wait for it to get here!!

You don't add paraffin if your using it as fuel, only for making smoke. I don't believe that you made colored smoke using KNO3 as the oxidizer. Its been tried and proven that it doesnt work.

From what I can tell from MSDS sheets, potassium nitrate is on par with table salt as far as toxicity goes.

I haven't made a smoke composition for years, I moved onto more interesting things (hooray for nitrations)

Look. You need anything simple and easy... a simple way to acquire gunpowder that Hemlock Mike pointed out.
Sparkler dust. I'm sure you all know how to make that. My way is just get the sparkler sticks and wrap them around a (latex gloved) finger, then a little rub causes the stuff to all fall off. Then grind it really fine.
Then use a magnet you don't want to separate the iron filings and you're left with meal powder aka finely ground gunpowder. If I remember correctly you need only add sugar and you will have a slower burning smoke mix.

WarezWally said:
You don't add paraffin if your using it as fuel, only for making smoke. I don't believe that you made colored smoke using KNO3 as the oxidizer. Its been tried and proven that it doesnt work.

From what I can tell from MSDS sheets, potassium nitrate is on par with table salt as far as toxicity goes.

I haven't made a smoke composition for years, I moved onto more interesting things (hooray for nitrations)

yes, nitrocellulose is fun as well. its harder to make however, because H2SO4 and HNO3 are expensive and hard to find. At least I don't know many sources to get them from cheaply. Once its made though, its very fun.

thats as far as I will be going with nitrates for now, nitroglycerin can wait ;D

regards,

amk

Things

Oh gawd. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN FOG JUICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you screw it up ( which is not very hard at all!), it WILL poison you, and ANYONE else exposed to the fog. Heat the juice to much, and once again, its toxic. Stay with fog in a can, a store bought fog machine + GOOD BOUGHT fog juice, or a chemical mixture made purposly for making fog/smoke. Use anything else and you will find yourself on the floor dead. Trust me, i have seen what happens to people when they use home made fog juice, or a home made fog machine, the result... NO GOOD!!! If you can afford a laser, you surely can afford a fog machine. Don't risk your health, people have done it, and it is very dangerous!