Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Making A Local Laser shop?

Hey, I've been studying lasers lightly and enjoy them really much. If it's possible in the US, can I make a local laser shop as long as it has an LED and minilock and you have to be 18 and older to purchase? I'm thinking of naming it TerraLasers. :) Also an online shop and get the lasers manufactured in China like Wicked Lasers but not as pricy. :)

Last edited:

daguin

Hey, I've been studying lasers lightly and enjoy them really much. If it's possible in the US, can I make a local laser shop as long as it has an LED and minilock and you have to be 18 and older to purchase? I'm thinking of naming it TerraLasers. :) Also an online shop and get the lasers manufactured in China like Wicked Lasers but not as pricy. :)

Check more deeply into the FDA requirements. Your lasers will have to have more than just the LED and mini lock

Peace,
dave

sounds like a cool idea, but I think it would have to be more like a electronics store with a laser section in the back :tinfoil:
good luck,
toogoofy

I think it's 5 seconds.

A laser shop would not do to well, its kind of a specialized store. Most normal people won't spend more than 10 dollars on a laser pointer. Also to sell stuff locally you would have to mark it up a little for the cost of the store, employees, insurance, etc. It would then be cheaper to buy online. Not to mention if you sell them locally like that and someone downs a plane with a laser or puts out a eye with a laser you sold them guess who is going to have their pans sued off. Selling online makes most of this stuff less inconvenient, which is why they are mostly sold online.

As far as a laser website, you would have to have very good quality control to get good business going and you can't do that and sell cheap. Also, most other places would undersell you. Why would you buy from someone new when you can get the same thing for the same price or less from someone with a good reputation. I could see this working with only selling modules, diodes, housings, etc. but those sites are becoming more and more abundant. I think you might be just a little too late for something like this to work.

Don't let me discourage you, I just don't think it is a good idea. This is only my $0.02 :D

daguin

Talk to any of the online store owners here trying to cover costs by just selling components.

I'm not saying don't dream. I'm saying do the needed research. You're looking at a very tough retail market

Peace,
dave

I think it's 5 seconds.

It's whatever the FDA says it needs to be.

Really there are no 100% set in stone requirements, except the one that says the FDA has to grant you an accession number. And in order to get an accession number, you have to be able to justify to them that you've provided all necessary safety features OR that there's a good reason that you can't provide all necessary safety features.

As far as the time delay, all they require is that in conjunction with the emission indicator (that's usually an LED on pointers, but could be other things, such as an alarm or a bell, for instance), once the emission indicator comes on, there is enough delay to get out of the way before the beam becomes active. For a pointer, a few seconds is enough warning to go "oh, oops" and point the laser a different direction. For other lasers, it may need to be longer, even minutes ahead of time.

I didn't know that, I thought they actually were set in stone somewhere. Is there a website or something that you can apply to to get a accession number or do you need to provide each and every laser for testing so each gets its own number?

I didn't know that, I thought they actually were set in stone somewhere. Is there a website or something that you can apply to to get a accession number or do you need to provide each and every laser for testing so each gets its own number?

I've never gone through the process, but my understanding is that you get an accession number for each model of laser, and then you must keep and submit records of every laser you sell. I don't think it's much paperwork, a form or 2 for each model, and then a logbook or spreadsheet for your sales records. I don't think the FDA ever has to actually touch a laser, unless they think there is a problem.

The first place to start reading would be the FDA's website, the CDRH section (Center for Devices and Radiological Health) specifically. They have all the info there, although legalese can be intimidating. There are a few people around here who have been through the process, and I'm sure if they stop by they can give more details.