Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Macro lenses for Canon EOS Rebel T1I

I agree with niko. :yh:

Pick up a Raynox for about $50 just to see what you are able to do, OH YEA, you will deffinatly need to get a tripod also.
Here is a thread (i'm a Pentax guy but it will give you an idea of what to expect) that shows what the Raynox can do.

The Raynox Macro club - PentaxForums.com

THIS, LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!

Tripod is a MUST for macro shots!

Also, if you can also get hold of a remote control, I suggest you consider getting one.

Raybo

I've got a similar one but the Nikon version. VERY good for the price. I also got the IR remote just in case.

I have the "cheap-o" wired remote and it works great, I also like the fact that it has the lock so I don't have to hold the button down for long exposure shots.
The IR remote is on my short list for candid bird shots, I would like to have my rig setup so I can image the little critters when they are sitting on my feeders.

I have a tripod, but I'm missing the quick snap piece (with the thread), my parents say it's still attached to an old Minolta 35mm, but they are to lazy to look for it so it's unusable. :(

If I'm looking to buy a lens, not a macro filter. My budget is limited. If I take $50 for the Raynox, than I will need to wait two months before I can secure more money and get a real macro. Of course I understand that the Raynox will let me experiment before I buy, but I prefer going for the lense first.

Raybo

You can get a tripod at Best Buy for around $20 and it will be fine. :beer:
If you are commited to getting a dedicated macro look at some of the third party lenses like Sigma or Tamron and go with the longest lens that you can afford, I would try to get something in the 90-100mm class. The shorter the focal length the closer you need to be to your subject and it stinks when light is a premium, space is good when doing macro work.

Last edited:

Raybo

I have yet to look at Tamron lenses, but I heard they make some of the best macro. I remember seeing in a tutorial that they sell a 90mm for $460.

I'll take a look later today.

Edit : is this a good deal?

Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 f2.8 Di Macro AF for Canon on eBay.ca (item 350223558489 end time 04-Jan-10 06:18:31 EST)

It's a Tamron 90mm.

Yes that's a good deal.
This seller looks like he might save you a few bucks....
Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 DI 1:1 Macro Lens Canon Mt +UV US on eBay.ca (item 400091360411 end time 11-Jan-10 00:50:12 EST)

Well, I finally purchased a macro lens, more precisely a Canon Macro 100mm. I decided to go with better quality. Now I told the seller to mark the package as gift, so hopefully I shouldn't get import duties.

I received the lens today!

Thanks for all the help.

It works great, and I like a lot. I'll post a sample pic later. It was a little expensive, but worth the buy, and I ended up paying only $25 for the custom fees. I saved quite a lot of money compared to the price I get at local camera shops.

(bump)

Raybo

This thread is useless without pictures!

And congratulations on your purchase. :beer:

Last edited:
Ok sample pics of the lens cap..

First with regular pop up flash.

img1166n.jpg

Second with the pop up flash and a DIY flash "softener"

img1206uj.jpg

Other pic (not macro), taken with the camera.

imgcard.jpg

Last edited:

Raybo

Nice Cardinal image! :beer:
What lens did you use? Did you do any PP or cropping?

You will enjoy your new macro lens, I mainly use mine for another one of my hobbies.......coin collecting.

18813centobv.jpg
18813centrev.jpg

Here is another Cardinal image taken with a 1000mm mirror lens.

Cardinal.jpg

Thanks!
I used a Canon IS 250mm for the picture.

BTW nice cardinal picture! ;)

I cropped them to 800 by 600 for quicker upload. Other images of birds (more of less good)...

img1052c.jpg

simg1066.jpg

simg1069.jpg

simg1213170002.jpg

simg1221170002.jpg

Oh, and I finally found the missing piece for my tripod, haven't ordered it yet, but I think I'll have to.

link : http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=10418

Last edited:

Raybo

I'm an amature bird watcher but what I know off the top of my head without Google or looking at books is.......... what you have there besides a Cardinal is a Junko and Nuthatch.

Canon IS 250mm, is that a straight 250mm tele or some kind of a zoom lens, and does it have a variable aperature or is it fixed?